Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long before you notice any weight loss after surgery?

So i had my surgery on the 18th of september 2008. I weighed myself today and i didnt lose any weight, actually i think i gained like 2 pounds. How long before you notice any weight loss after surgery? And is weight gaining normal right after suregery? And yes i am following the diet correctly.

don't worry... that is normal. They do not leave any saline in the band during surgery. I had a followup appointment (which turned out to be a consult with no fill) and then my first fill nearly 3 months after surgery! I was able to keep from gaining anything, but I am only losing 1-2 pounds a week. Would like it to just "go away," but I think I am on the right track now! Hang in there! we will make it!

yes agree with u both , its very frustrating , especially when your loosing pre op !

The bands are not filled as yet , to promote healing .

And yes u would think we would loose rapidly eh , having fluids only .

But our bodies are clinging onto everything we are putting in , as our calorie intake just now is minimal:rolleyes:

Lets just hang in there until our first fill and see us progress from there .

Started having Protein shakes now:thumbup:

best wishes to u all

SAS X

Thanks for the answers, even though it was not my question. I too am only losing 1-2 lbs a week and my doc is fine. Says I am in the healing stage not the weightloss stage. I get my first fill in 3 weeks. I am ready. There are so many people online that are losing so much weight. I want to be one of them.

I know I didn't put it on in a day so it won't go away. But there is a skinny girl inside wanting to get out. Might be two or three...but I know at least one.

Keep in touch with your progress and don't get discouraged.

I was banded on 09/08/08 and have lost 10 lbs.

Chin up, we can do this together.:cursing:

I think alot of it also depends on how much you need to lose. A larger person naturally would lose more initally just from the drastic reduction in calories. Starting off at 359 i averaged a loss of a pound a day for the first month out. Needless to say it has slowed down quite dramatically.

but I am only losing 1-2 pounds a week

I see two of ya say "only" well thats right were ya should be, you dont want to lose anymore then that a week, thats right on track :cursing:

If you follow the suggested eating and drinking, you will start to lose after a week or so. I have been losing about 8 to 10 lbs. a month or 2-3 lbs. a week. Just keep it up on a one day at a time and soon you will notice that your losing, I saw some women last night at my Red Hat meeting I had not seen in maybe 5 months and they were amazed at how good I looked. I can see a difference but it was nice to have them ohhhh and ahhhh over my weight loss.

I did cheat and had one oatmeal raisin cookie last night took 30 minutes to eat it. Figured the raisins and oatmeal were good for me.

It was my reward for 8 weeks of dieting. I skipped the popcorn, soda and candy bars they had at the meeting, I felt really good.

i gained weight after my surgery and had to lose 7 pounds again on top of what i already lost i was in the bmi of almost 50 so i lost pretty fast preop and right after surgery. however the last two weeks it hasnt been so fast and i do see it slowing down. I dont know if its because my period is almost coming and im bloated, which it could be. but dont be discouraged!!! we arent even filled yet!! i noticed weight loss a couple days after surgery. I had to get rid of the surgery weight from the gas and liquids.< /p>

Just try your best to remember ...each of us are different and we will lose/gain differently...ie. I have a hormone disorder and only lost ONE pound pre op..following the diet to a T! And since then...well, you can see below.

Everyone who has gone before us says try not to look at the 'number' because it could fluctuate quite a bit until things get settled down.