Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Are You Handling Not Eating/Drinking At The Same Time?

I wanted to get feel from those of you who have been banded on how you are handling the whole not eating and drinking at the same time thing. I know this is something we have to do:thumbdown: (I'm not yet banded, waiting for a date:thumbup:) but I'm having a real hard time with this one. I am trying my best to make changes now to better prepare myself...I'm more conscious of my chewing, taking smaller bites and slowing down, but when it comes to drinking and eating, UGGGHHHHHHHH! I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE drinker with meals, always have been! Can anyone feel my pain? How are you coping? Does it get easier? Please say that it does...okay, don't lie, that won't help me:glare: LOL! I know I'll have to eventually make this change and follow the rule, but I'm just not sure HOW I'm going to get through this! Honestly, as crazy as this may sound, this was one of the reasons I contemplated not having the surgery in the past....that and never being able to drink soda again! But I'm over the whole soda thing now!

I guess I'll get use to it over time...would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you! I LOVED drinking during a meal, and I was really worried about it. What I do now is drink Water before I eat; I try to drink a whole glass. That seems to help. Then sometimes I will take a sip afterwards if I really am dying. But usually it's not so bad. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be. Part of it is that because I can't eat as much I don't get as thirsty, and I think the 2 weeks of liquids after surgery made me appreciate the full feeling and not want to wash it away. I hope that helps a little.

It isn't an issue for me. I take sips of Water when I eat if I want them. I don' t drink much for a while after meals so as not to cause that too full feeling. I wasn't the big meal drinker you said you are, so this hasn't caused me any distress. I have a problem getting all my fluids in during the day. I just can't seem to manage more than about 30 ounces... It doesn't seem to be affecting me in a negative way as my weight loss is good and my stomach seems fine. It may contribute to some of the Constipation that I get often, but I have got that figured out, too. So, I wouldn't worry too much. When you feel restriction and know that it's either food or drink, you'll make the right decisions. I really miss my Diet Coke....:cursing:........... Some days I can just taste it in my head...... But I'm getting over that, too.... Good luck... all will be fine... :thumbdown: Julie

I had the same concerns. I just couldn't imagine not drinking with meals. My doctor said some sips are okay though, as well as a small glass of wine, occasionally.

At home, I don't drink anything, even a sip. When I'm out to eat, with the Water they bring, I have taken a few baby sips, but not a whole lot. Do I miss it? Nope. I drink so much between meals, more than I've ever have in my life, I'm completely hydrated when it's time to eat. There's a family restaurant outside a small town in VA that has the best sweet tea on earth, and they bring you a carafe of it at a time. Now that was hard to pass on because of just how good it is. However, I've cut out bad carbs, so I took a small sip of my husband's for the flavor, and I got it out of my system. I do think the trick is to keep very well hydrated during the day. Also, I read a tip on here to have a mint after a meal, and that works well. I bought Altoids Wintergreen mini's, and they're really great, and so small that I don't worry about accidental swallowing one and getting stuck.

It's so amazing to feel full after such a small amount of food, and that positive re-inforcement keeps me honest. I've also read that for some people, after they've have tight restriction, it actually hurts to drink during a meal, so there may be some negative re-inforcement down the road too.

It bothered me at first,bu now after 3 months it doesnt bother me at all

I too was a big drinker at meal time. I would sometimes have them bring me two glasses of Diet Coke because I would plow through the first really fast. I would/could easily go through 5-6 refills when eating out.

Now, I hardly notice it anymore but I actually drink very little when eating. Maybe half a glass of soda with ice. I find myself getting it to go a lot.

Also, I never stopped drinking Diet Coke although I should mention that I never drank the stuff out of the can and, even pre-op, I would most often dilute it with Water. I love the taste but I'm not a fan of carbination at all. In my younger years, I would leave the lid off of the bottle to let it go flat. Nowadays, I just add Water or maybe pour some at room temp over ice.

Actually, my doc doesn't want me to start doing that until week 3 after surgery. My instructions are to actually drink a clear liquid after every meal to rinse the pouch and keep food from just sitting there. On week three (mushies), I am to stop drinking right before my first bite, and nothing to drink until 1 hour after. As with every thing else, the amount of time differs per doctor. Just start practicing now, then it won't be a huge change for you later. Good luck on your journey!

I guess, in time, I'll get use to it...I'll continue to try until my surgery to not eat/drink!

Thanks for all the responses!

Someone posted a while back that they still had a Water with them (especially at restaurants) because if they started to 'feel' an issue...a tiny sip would settle things back down. I must say I do that too...if I don't like what I am feeling...I take a sip and then all is well!

GOOD LUCK! and it does get easier...