Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Al Roker & Carnie Wilson????

A few years ago I had a hysterectomy. Before my surgery and while I was post op for a month or so, I went to the Hyster Sisters website ALL THE TIME. My surgery went great and I recovered so fast it amazed even my doctor. I really had no need to go to the forum anymore since I was doing so well and I went on with my life.

I am sure that people who are successful with the band do the same thing. There are some people who are just not the kind to hang out if all is going well. There is nothing wrong with being here or not.

I am sure, by the same token, that there are some who have not succeeded with the band and have converted to something else. They would have moved on to another forum.

my neighbor and dog walking buddy had RNY 3 yrs ago, she was 320lbs. she got down to 180lb and was very weak - sick & other issues...but she never changed her lifestyle. she now is 250lb & looking into a revision (most likely the DS - because as mentioned she has no desire to change her eating habits).

we were walking the other day and she asked how many calories do i take in, i said around 1100 most days. she said she was good for 3000+:thumbup::eek:....she's not much taller than me (5'1ish) - that's how i gained weight; not lost or maintained. everytime i'm at her house she's eating crap, at starbucks - i get my skinny latte and she orders the frap crap and wonders why she gained.

her walks a couple times of the week are not going to help, she had the RNY and expected it do all the work - don't believe that's a reality no matter the WLS choice; we all have to work - daily/hrly..etc.

If you don't drink Water, you get dehydrated, which is never a good thing. Also, your body sends out much the same signals when you are thirsty as when you are hungry. So what you might be calling "hunger" is actually thirst. Keep your body hydrated and you'll be less hungry, your body will function better, and you will feel better.

As to losing and regaining weight, here is my two cents worth...There is a girl that I work with that weighed over 500lbs. and had RNY. Before she ever had surgery, the doctors told her she would probably end up around 300lbs. She lost down to about 160. Yes, 160. Well, that was about 6.5 years ago. Now, she is back to around 285. While she has packed on about 125 pounds in the past several years (and after two babies), she is CERTAINLY better off than she was at 500+. (She is nearly six feet tall.)

As for looking sick after weightloss...About 5 years ago, I lost 100lbs. on LA Weightloss. I went from 273 to 173 in 7.5 months. I got a new hairstyle and my aunt from out of town wanted a picture, so my husband took a snapshot, and I emailed it to her. Her comment was that I looked awful. My mother-in-law said I looked frail. Both of these comments really hurt my feelings. I had lost 100 pounds and was really proud of myself, but I was still about 40 lbs. overweight (I'm not quite 5'3"). How could I possibly look frail? Anyway...looking back now, I did look awful. I was frail. I started passing out about a week later and was sick for nearly three months. In fact, I nearly died. I lost so fast my blood pressure was bottoming out. It wasn't that I was too thin, but I was too thin too quickly for ME. (I have borderline low BP even at 277lbs.) I eventually gained ALL of my weight back plus 4 extra pounds, but I didn't start looking healthy again until I gained at least 20 of those pounds back.

These are some of the reasons I want the band. I want to be able to lose weight at a reasonable (not too fast, not too slow) pace. I am excited about 1-2 pounds a week under a doctor's supervision. (All LA Weightloss was interested in was my weighing in and getting my money, not my health. They "forgot" to take my BP as regularly as promised, which I figured out all too late.) I am also excited about the adjustability so that I can continue to use the TOOL to keep the weight at bay.

Edited by aivey
typos

How long does someone have to be banded to be considered an old timer? I am coming up on two years. There are actually quite a few of us that have been here longer thant that.

I know a lot of people who had gastric bypass and have gained most of their weight back. I know a lady that was about 400 lbs and got down to 140. She is now about 300 lbs. With gastric bypass you sit on the couch and lose weight.

Lap band isn't quite that easy. We have to learn to change our eating habits or we won't be successful. Cookies ice cream candy, etc goes right through the band and never gives us problems. Gastric bypass people can't tolerate sugar because their intestines have been bypassed and too much gets dumped into their blood stream too fast. They get sick. I sometimes wish that sugar would make me sick.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Kari, I need to know whether your fills depended on your NOT losing fast enough. Yesterday, they would not give me a 2nd fill because, after a month of SERIOUS dieting, I'd lost 12#. They said a fill would NOT make me less hungry, that I'd ALWAYS be hungry w/ a lapband. True? (Basically, I'd lost too much!) If so, I'm VERY upset about it. Pam

Pam

A fill won't make you less hungry, but you should get full faster. You'll know when you get the restriction you should have. It took me around ten months to get to that point. That's not to say I don't work at it. And mostly the hunger I have is head hunger. My doctor says that the average weight loss per month is 8-10 pounds.

Looks like noone hasnt posted to this thread for a long time, but I have noticed that Al has gained his weight back as well, I dont watch TV very often so I am a little slow lol... anywho, I am almost 4 years post op gastric bypass and lost all of my weight in the first year, from 260 to 155, I now fluctuate in between 140 1nd 150. I have not had any weight gain issues, however, my surgery has not been without its major health issues, the first year I almost died due to a strangulated intestinal hernia, in which the FDA finally approved 4 months later that surgeons were able to correct this problem during surgery for this to no longer happen, after several people dieing from it in a 5 year period, thank god I wasnt one of them and its a shame so many had to die from it till they fixed it!!!.. then 6 months later another surgery from the inside incision not closing up all the way... an incisional hernia repair... since then nothing until this year when i got extremely fatigued and could barely even get out of bed due to severe anemia and B12 deficiency... so it is not without its faults, not I have to get B12 injections 1 time a month for the rest of my life and, and have had to go in for 8 Iron infusions. I have been to every kind of Dr you can think of Hematologists, rheumatologists, neurologists, because I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and have severe back issues that I thought would clear up after my weight loss but not.. oh well... would I do it again, I believe so... would I recommend to others, probably but not without letting them know that it is not a cakewalk... So I think it just depends on the person as far as whether or not they gain the weight back, I eat whatever I want, I actually dont eat that healthy at all... i still cant eat large amounts of food, if i do i throw up... still cannot consume more than 10 grams of sugar at once or I will get very very ill... anyways I could go on and on but just wanted to post this for others to read... Good luck to you all and if you have any other questions I can answer for you please feel free to email me at kaligirlcb@yahoo.com... Have a wonderful day!! And Happy new year!! Good luck on you weight loss and health!!

i actually am weird and have researched stars that have lapbanding and bipass. al roker had lap banding and lost 120 lbs and gained back 20-30 to date. he admitted he was eating too much.

carnie had bipass like 4-5 years ago and was 300 pounds at surgery and got down to like 140sh. she was over 200 after giving birth and admitted to stuffing herself. she was on oprah a few weeks ago and is now down to 160 or 170 and pregnant again. she never gained all the weight back but still struggles w/a severe food addiction

sharon osborne had lapbanding 7 or so years ago and weighed 250 at surgery. she lost 125 pounds. for some reason she wanted her band removed last year. she did have it removed and i have notice on her show that she is gaining wt

i think randy jackson looks great compared to what he used to look like. not too big/not too skinny.

i actually am weird and have researched stars that have lapbanding and bipass. al roker had lap banding and lost 120 lbs and gained back 20-30 to date. he admitted he was eating too much.

carnie had bipass like 4-5 years ago and was 300 pounds at surgery and got down to like 140sh. she was over 200 after giving birth and admitted to stuffing herself. she was on oprah a few weeks ago and is now down to 160 or 170 and pregnant again. she never gained all the weight back but still struggles w/a severe food addiction

sharon osborne had lapbanding 7 or so years ago and weighed 250 at surgery. she lost 125 pounds. for some reason she wanted her band removed last year. she did have it removed and i have notice on her show that she is gaining wt

i think randy jackson looks great compared to what he used to look like. not too big/not too skinny.

Thanks for sharing. i had no idea about most of that and its very interesting.:tongue2:

Al Roker had gastric bypass surgery, not lapband.

... an open secret around NBC, but Roker has refused to discuss the gastric bypass operation March 15 that allowed him to ...

i read that al roker had lapbanding in usweekly, people mag and 48 hours investigates. i read @ roker.com that he had a lapband.

He had gastric bypass.

From his blog in 2002: Al Roker

Last March I had a gastric bypass operation. You may know it as "stomach stapling", although it's much more than that.

sorry, i had to reread his blog. im confused about whatever it is he had done. i guess he is saying that people were reporting wrong he didn't have lapband. my bad:rolleyes: i think he does look much healthier than before his wls.

I noticed the same thing ...and a friend of mine had gastric bypass surgery about 6 yrs ago and has recently started gaining weight back....but she admits she is drinking pop again and alot of other old habits are creeping back in and this is suppose to be a lifetme change if not then what can we expect but the same old thing?