Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Area Bandsters

I am getting my band removed Jan 8 or 15. I can't wait to get my life back. I cannot eat hardly anything without PBing. Normally I have a Meal Replacement for Breakfast, Soup (liquid) for lunch and ice cream occasionally in the evenings. I try eating solids but usually throw them up. This has been a nightmare from the beginning. Plus 14 grand wasted. Oh well-better luck with dieting.

Wow ~ I'm so sorry to hear that there is nothing they can do to fix your band and that you have to have it removed. Will Dr. Woodhead be doing the surgery? I know very little about the actual removal of the band so I hope that you will keep us informed of how things are going for you.

I'm completely surprised that he is leaving you in so much discomfort for so long before removing it. January is a ~FULL 7 MONTHS~ away !!! I think that is just crazy considering a person can have a band installed within a couple of months. Did he tell you why he is waiting so long??

All the best to you !!

Patricia

Did he at least take all the fill out to allow food to go down? I can't help thinking and wishing that there is a typo and June as opposed to Jan. is your surgical date?????

i just went for my 3rd fill on saturday and i've finally got restriction, but i think it's too tight. yesterday, my first day back on solids, i had no problems. i just had to chew more and go a bit slower and was able to eat half as much as last week. great, right?! this morning, i was super tight and it took me well over an hour to drink a Protein Drink. at lunch, i had a cup of coffee thinking the warmth would help loosen it up. no problem, i was able to drink it at my regular pace. i tried to eat something, but ended up PBing after 2 bites. and now 3 hours later, i just slimed on Water.< /p>

should i just wait this out for a couple days, or should i go ahead and book an unfill? i'd really rather avoid the unfill because i do not want to drive back down to the states right now. too much work. i'm excited to finally have restriction, but i would like to be able to eat something!!!

I am not in a position if you should or should not get some fill removed except to say that I have read that it is imperative not to become dehydrated. If you can't get any liquid down then definately return for a defill. I think I would suggest you call your clinic where you received the fill and ask them if you should return or not.

I'm with Doddie on this...I hate to say you should or shouldn't go back for an unfill. You need to keep in mind that you ~have~ to be able to get enough fluids in, and you have to be comfortable enough that you can eat.

Personally, I consider myself very tight since my last fill. I can and do often get 'stuck' on my first cup of coffee in the morning. I don't PB it but it can sit and make me uncomfortable for a few minutes or more... I ~never~ drink anything cool or cold for the first couple of hours in the morning so I personally couldn't do a Protein Shake. It would sit forever in my pouch...

I generally drink coffee/tea for the first 2 hours in the morning before I try anything more solid. And I am ~finally~ learning that if I am not hungry I don't force myself to eat just because it is 'meal time'.

A couple of things that I have learned that you might help you...

1. I tend to have '1st bite syndrome' and I think it happens when I allow myself to get too hungry. I will almost always get stuck and PB after a few bites in this situation if I don't pay very close attention. Keep ~very~ mindful of your first few bites, make them even smaller than usual and chew the heck out of them !!!

2. If I get my stomach/pouch irritated early in the day I tend to stay irritated. So I am to the point that if I PB at lunchtime for example, I am very careful thru the rest of the day and chose easier foods for dinner or Snacks.< /p>

BTW.....don't get discouraged if you find that by dinner you are loosened off and can manage a decent sized meal, this is really common. Just take advantage of the lower cal eating earlier in the day and keep your dinners bandster-sized....you'll see results !!!

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Patricia

I'm with Doddie on this...I hate to say you should or shouldn't go back for an unfill. You need to keep in mind that you ~have~ to be able to get enough fluids in, and you have to be comfortable enough that you can eat.

Personally, I consider myself very tight since my last fill. I can and do often get 'stuck' on my first cup of coffee in the morning. I don't PB it but it can sit and make me uncomfortable for a few minutes or more... I ~never~ drink anything cool or cold for the first couple of hours in the morning so I personally couldn't do a Protein Shake. It would sit forever in my pouch...

I generally drink coffee/tea for the first 2 hours in the morning before I try anything more solid. And I am ~finally~ learning that if I am not hungry I don't force myself to eat just because it is 'meal time'.

A couple of things that I have learned that you might help you...

1. I tend to have '1st bite syndrome' and I think it happens when I allow myself to get too hungry. I will almost always get stuck and PB after a few bites in this situation if I don't pay very close attention. Keep ~very~ mindful of your first few bites, make them even smaller than usual and chew the heck out of them !!!

2. If I get my stomach/pouch irritated early in the day I tend to stay irritated. So I am to the point that if I PB at lunchtime for example, I am very careful thru the rest of the day and chose easier foods for dinner or Snacks.< /p>

BTW.....don't get discouraged if you find that by dinner you are loosened off and can manage a decent sized meal, this is really common. Just take advantage of the lower cal eating earlier in the day and keep your dinners bandster-sized....you'll see results !!!

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Patricia

Thanks for your feedback Patricia & Doreen! I managed to get down a 1/2 cup of Soup for dinner last night, but ended up PBing soon after. The only solid i've managed successfully in the past 2 days is 1 cheese string over 20 minute period chewed to smithereens. i emailed the girls at NWfills, and was told that I should stay on liquids for a couple days and if i'm still not able to keep it down, i should come in for a slight unfill. i haven't decided yet, but if i can rework my schedule, i'll probably drive down tomorrow.

This whole experience has reminded me why local aftercare is so important. I definitely need to switch over to Dr. Arseneau! I was thinking about it last week at our LGH meeting, but now i'm certain.

babe

Hi Mom2two: How are you feeling now. Have the docs given you some way of getting and keeping food down or are you on liquids until July?

I am getting unbanded July 8 thankfully. I am able to keep down liquids and soft foods-soup, boost etc so Im fine that way. I just hate that I wasted so much money for it to fail.

Hey, how about asking for a refund. It was not your fault the band slipped upwards. Also, are you considering having a new band put on in six months time. Seems to me the surgeon should remove the band and reinstall it for free. I understand the band manufacturers have a warrantee on them.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? Just curious.

He is looking into it. Said no point in repositioning due to high chance of reslippage.

Is there anyone from Bellingham, Washington that has their fills done in Vancouver??? I am moving from Arizona to Washington and will need a new Doc to take over my care. Any information would be welcomed!

Leah