Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Area Bandsters

Hi guys,

I'm a bit torn about fills and trying to decide whether to go to NW fill centers (where they'll do fluoroscopy) or to go with Dr. Arseneau (doesn't). How important is fluoro? I'm thinking of maybe going there for my first fill, and then continuing with Arseneau... but would it be better to stick with one fill doctor throughout?

I don't think it makes any difference sticking with one fill doctor. Doing fills is a very simple and virtually painless procedure, as long as they can find the port. If you can easily locate it, the doctor or nurse can.

As for doing it under fluoro versus not, I had my first fill with Dr. A and not under fluoro. It was not as quick and easy as it is for most people (my port is very hard to find), and I would have liked some reassurance that everything was working the way it is supposed to. For me, the fact that everything is internal and cannot be seen (and therefore you're relying on just how you feel to determine if something is wrong), I'd have felt better having something I could see on a screen and someone telling me everything was A-ok. For this reason, if I were to do it again, I'd go back to the clinic I went to in Mexico for the 1st fill, and then subsequent fills to Dr. A.

However, the advantage of going to Dr. A is that you can go for any subsequent adjustments (more fills, unfills) within a two week period without having to pay extra. I've discovered that my fill is insufficient (I'm working WAY too hard to keep the portions/calories under control) and so I'm able to go back to get some more fill. One thing is if you do go to Dr. A, you need to get a referral from your family doctor, so get that done before your surgery. You can then choose after the surgery what you want to do. It will be much easier to choose at that time, because then you will have had some experience with the band and recovery and will have more information with which to make your decision.

Also, another fellow bandster recently went to NW fills, and they did not do it under fluoro. I don't know the reason why, but it sounds like there is no guarantee that they'd do it under fluoro there either. I would really like to hear from someone who has had their fill done under fluoro to see if it really makes a difference or not. I'm still considering doing the fluoro myself just for that added bit of reassurance.

Sooo.. curious? I am likely confirming this too late since I am going in right away but...Many of you have had the lap band for a while. Other than amount of food consumed, are you eventually able to eat almost normally? Anything you absolutley can't eat? Any "don't go there foods"? I know of a few, but was curious what others had to say that have had a lap band for a while...

Thanks

I haven't had the band for very long (just a couple of months), but I am able to eat everything - breads, Pasta, popcorn, the works. However, from what I've been told, I might not have enough restriction, so that might be the reasons I can still eat everything. I'm going next week to increase my fill, so this might change.

by keeping a loose fill, I can eat anything providing I chew well. Things I stay away from because they are harder on me are white bread or any type of dough and any food that is white with the exception of baked potato.

I also have trouble with chicken breast.

Please post and let us know how you are doing after your surgery.

Sooo.. curious? I am likely confirming this too late since I am going in right away but...Many of you have had the lap band for a while. Other than amount of food consumed, are you eventually able to eat almost normally? Anything you absolutley can't eat? Any "don't go there foods"? I know of a few, but was curious what others had to say that have had a lap band for a while...

Thanks

With me, even with the fullest restrictions, (I am at the max of fills) I can still eat everything. Of course, I do stay away from most white stuff as that isn't good for you anyways and it could expand in the pouch like white bread, Pasta, etc. Nobody should ever eat that stuff anyways.

Certain foods I have to chew really well, and that is my biggest problem as I still eat too fast. But it definitely is the chewing part most people have problems with.

As before I hit a huge plateau I am finally losing again, all it needed is "no sweets" at all, boy this is easier said than done, but I did and lost 3 pounds this week. So I have to keep going as I have 60 more to go.

Hi everyone is different as to tolerance. You must experiment and find your own. Usually eaten slowly, whole grain and high fibre foods are OK, but again depending on your fill and your tolerance, this has got to be your hunting ground. Start off slowly with a tiny bit and see how it works. Don't pack the pouch. Emphasis of course should be on the Protein. Get that down first then worry about getting other foods down if there is room.

Thanks Doddie and Uli! Great insight!... I would have not thought about it being around the white starches. Are whole grain and high fibre pastas and breads different?

Congratulations Uli in a successful in denying yourself sweets and getting such a great weight loss. I too am a gulper and know only too well the issues on that topic.

With me, even with the fullest restrictions, (I am at the max of fills) I can still eat everything. Of course, I do stay away from most white stuff as that isn't good for you anyways and it could expand in the pouch like white bread, Pasta, etc. Nobody should ever eat that stuff anyways.

Certain foods I have to chew really well, and that is my biggest problem as I still eat too fast. But it definitely is the chewing part most people have problems with.

As before I hit a huge plateau I am finally losing again, all it needed is "no sweets" at all, boy this is easier said than done, but I did and lost 3 pounds this week. So I have to keep going as I have 60 more to go.

Dodi is right, everybody is different. And sometimes I still make the mistake of stuffing the pouch too much which is a very bad thing. The little amounts we are supposed to eat are extremely small - so it takes a long time getting used to, especially from what I have eaten before the band, very different story. I need a reminder almost every day to be content after a few bites, and not stuff it. I am sometimes still looking for that over fullness which is a very bad thing and we should never feel that way. Content is the word as I have always overeaten. I think people don't even know what hunger means, as my dr. explained to me once, the gurgling noise in your stomach is not hunger, drink some Water and you will get over it. Yup, right..........

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.

Cheers.

lol... I can see I have my work cut out for me... just to change my mindset. Do you recognize being full?... or is it too late by the time you feel it? I guess it takes 20 minutes for your brain to register normally, is this still the case? Anyhow, I am thinking that anyway I look at this, it's going to be a huge change.

Thanks for all the input.

Believe me, I am not expert on feeling full. That was my problem before the band and the reason I have the band. I have NEVER felt full. Even after a huge turkey dinner before the band, I would continue to eat and graze. Now the only way I can make sure I do not stuff the pouch is to weigh my food each and every meal. Eyeballing does not work for me. The other shortcoming I have is chewing. Do OK for awhile and then bam, I am hungry and I gulp. I did ask my clinic yesterday about which is worse, suffering the pain of the lump in the pouch until it disolves and goes down or helping it come up. I was told to suffer the pain. Vomiting is not a good idea. I am hoping that the pain will enforce upon me the need to chew. The band is a constant learning process.

lol... I can see I have my work cut out for me... just to change my mindset. Do you recognize being full?... or is it too late by the time you feel it? I guess it takes 20 minutes for your brain to register normally, is this still the case? Anyhow, I am thinking that anyway I look at this, it's going to be a huge change.

Thanks for all the input.

Yes, it is a constant learning curve and the band does not do everything for you. But you know when you should stop eating, just put a 1/2 cup container on your dinner table or wherever you eat and never eat more than that as you are full and stuffing the pouch is definitely not a good idea. We are where we are because of our over eating. And we sure do not want to stretch the pouch, bad idea. I myself find vomitting better as then you would not eat after and did not get the food down or the calories. It is not the same vomitting as normal as the food is sitting before the pouch - so it is really not that bad. But it is a lot better to just not eat as much, just 1/2 cup. The pouch should never be overfilled with anything, yes, we all know that but we are also all human.

That was my thoughts exactly, but the fill nurse for SB suggested vomiting could cause the band to slip. I asked if I suffered the pain, would the underchewed food disolve and eventually go down and the reply was yes. So I thought 1) I would chew no matter what so I put a little note infront of me. 2) If I underchew I will suffer he pain and see what happens. Don't know if I like the idea, but a nurse is a nurse.

My endocrinologist has recommended that I consider Lap Band surgery (I weigh 360), and he asked me to check with my extended health carrier if they would cover the cost (nope!). Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost me, I live in New West and it sounds like the doctor in Surrey is the closest one but I don't want to go to him for a consultation if this is something I can't afford. I'm new to this site, so hopefully I am posting this right.

My endocrinologist has recommended that I consider Lap Band surgery (I weigh 360), and he asked me to check with my extended health carrier if they would cover the cost (nope!). Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost me, I live in New West and it sounds like the doctor in Surrey is the closest one but I don't want to go to him for a consultation if this is something I can't afford. I'm new to this site, so hopefully I am posting this right.

DC: Welcome aboard!

There are 2 surgeons in the GVA who do the surgery: Dr. Leung (Surrey) and Dr. Woodhead. Dr. Leung charges about $12K including 3 fills and $300 consult fee. He is known to be an excellent surgeon and has a very direct (some would say harsh) bedside manner). Dr. W charges $14K including all fills/post op care and $400 consult fee. He is less experienced, but equally good and is quite easy to talk to. I went for a consult with him in Dec. and posted about the experience earlier in the thread.

Some people choose to go Northwest Weight Loss Surgery in Everett WA. They charge US$17,810 and include 13 months of fills and post op care, psych eval, nutrionist.

Some (like me) choose to go to Mexico. I'm going to Dr. Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center (OCC). He charges US$7950 and includes airport pick up/drop off, 3 night hotel stay for you and companion, and nutritionist. He is very experienced and has an excellent rep.

For the out of province options, you have to arrange post op fills locally. The local surgeons do not fill patients they have not operated on. Dr. Arseneau at St. Paul's hospital preforms fills for $150 a pop. Otherwise, there's a place called Northwest Fills Mgmt in Marysville WA (near the outlet stores) who do fill for upto US$250.

Please read through all the posts in this thread, alot of your questions will be answered. Also, try and attend our support group next month at Lions Gate Hospital. It's organized by Canadagirl33 and you'll find info about it elsewhere in this thread.

Good Luck with your decision

Babe