Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All pain .........No Gain

Well I had my surgery yesterday only to wake up in recovery to be told that due to massive amounts of adhesions in my belly from a previous scar the surgery had to be postponed :biggrin: to build up my tolerance level for a possibly "open" procedure. My doctor is excellent and my hat's off to him for making the call not to risk my life any more than needed :dita: but it was a huge upset after being poked like a pin cushion and cut and blown up like a balloon that I have to go through all this again in a few weeks :tongue:. No one said it was easy :tongue:...........catch you guys up in a few weeks.

so sorry to hear that, can i ask what surgery you had that left the scaring. i had laproscoping appendix removal 7 months ago and was basically hacked at open surgery would have been cosmetically nicer and im worried as i have alot of scaring in rib area also cos if this i have fresh scaring in my belly button do they put camera in their.

im worried cos im going to belgium for op so dont see doc till day before im worried he will say scars are too fresh, dont know whats classed as fresh in terms of scaring

hope all goes well next time

BUMMER!!! Who was your Dr. I live in Western KY and being banded

Oct. 24. I have that fear also, but my surgery was on my right side.

Dr. Weiss is doing my band at Jackson Purchase Hospital in Mayfield.

Did they say how long you will have to wait? Kathy

Sorry to hear all that, I had my surgery a week ago today. I had terrible scarring, surgery took 2 hours and was done laproscopic. Plus he had to repair my ruptured hernia at the same time at no extra charge :cursing:. Dr. Groves is wonderful and I'm glad that he cared enough to take the time and removed the scarring and repaired the hernia and made me a new diaphragm and put the band in, I feel like a new person. I'm able to breathe better and walk more and no more swollen ankles and the rest will drop off in time......9 pounds gone so far..........Good luck to you and I hope your next time in will the worth all the pain you've had so far.

Kim in Alabama

Roll Tide!! :thumbdown:

so sorry to hear that, can i ask what surgery you had that left the scaring. i had laproscoping appendix removal 7 months ago and was basically hacked at open surgery would have been cosmetically nicer and im worried as i have alot of scaring in rib area also cos if this i have fresh scaring in my belly button do they put camera in their.

im worried cos im going to belgium for op so dont see doc till day before im worried he will say scars are too fresh, dont know whats classed as fresh in terms of scaring

hope all goes well next time

Back in 1991 I had ITP which is Idiopathicthrombocenicpupura (probably misspelled) and they did an "exploratory" surgery of my abdomin, basically a horizontal incision from one side of my gut to the other that caused my scarring issue. I'm not sure what to tell you on the freshness of the scars. I have three fresh incisions in my abdomin now one about where my elbow touches my side when my arms are downm one in my bellybutton and one inbetween those two, so yes they put somthing in where the bellybutton is. Thanks for the responce

My doctor is Mark Shina, an excellent man and a wonderful bariatric surgeon. He could have finished the surgery he said but my blood pressure kept bottoming out, and he was scared he was going to loose me because the scar tissue in my abdomen had to be removed to get to my stomach which would take an extra hour. Apparentally certain types of blood pressure medications interfere with the anesthetic used to put you under. I am going off 1 of my blood pressure meds for two weeks and we are going to do it again the 16th.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 1 reply
      1. alisasings

I don't know how to update the ticker, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• alisasings

I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Elnaz

Losing weight is my dream
      · 1 reply
      1. alisasings

I've been dreaming about it for 30 years or so. It's time to make it happen!

• OhMyGawdItzKla

I joined yesterday when I was struggling with this preop diet... 
      It typically comes and goes, the hard times and easier times. I'm on day 6 of 14  shakes, water, sf Popsicles and jello. And I might actually be losing my mind. But, oh dear lord has the fear set in. Not about the surgery itself, but life afterwards. If I feel this crappy on the preop diet, am I going to feel like this forever after? 
      I know most of the answers are no, not forever. It might be worse after for a while, then get better. I know it's a more of a mental challenge than physical after the first couple weeks of healing. I get all of that. But I'm starting to feel scared about losing myself afterwards. 
      It might be my hormones or desire to chew something salty talking.. It may go away soon or tomorrow.. I can hope, anyway. But right now.. The fear is real. 

And this liquid diet can bite me. 
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Fear is normal, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm 4.5 months post-op and the pre-op diet was by far the hardest part of the whole process. There will be challenges and a lot of new things to learn, but I can honestly say at this point I feel so much more "back to normal" and was even able to go on a week-long vacation with my kids without stressing over it. It's so worthwhile.

2. OhMyGawdItzKla

@NickelChip This actually does make me feel better! Thank you so much! After the onslaught of Covid, we've all had to deal with a "new normal", so I know it's possible. It's just the fear and frustration in this moment that makes me question if I can find another "new normal" afterwards. The thought of just a few more months seems daunting some times, but I really do appreciate input and real experience. I'll use that to get me through for a few more hours! LOL. Thank you so much! And I'm glad everything is going so well for you! ❤️

• mamabear30106

I started my 10 day pre op diet yesterday I need flavor!! I'm not big on the chocolate protein shakes so I just got to use up what I have was thinking about freezing it to make it like a ice cream so its something I can chew a little. Idk this is hard but I know I can do it just need to find new things to try 
      · 1 reply
      1. JennyBeez

You can try. I've read other people have had good results with protein-shake popsicles, etc. My personal experience with it? Sucked.

I tried making 'fudgesicles' with a couple different flavors of a premade shake, as well as a protein powder I blended myself and all of them came out revolting? The powder ones, all the protein sunk to the middle; the premade shakes, the popsicle had a disgusting texture and the protein seemed to leave a weird fluffy film on the outside? I couldn't stomach it.

Maybe look into flavoring additives? I was able to have sugar-free coffee /soda syrup flavorings, sugar-free drink flavorings and baking additives like almond, rum or pepperment extract. The extracts helped me the most as they added no extra sweetener.

On the other hand, if you can get your hands on an unflavored/unsweetened protein powder, the syrup flavorings are perfect. I love to use Boost "Just Protein" (which is unflavored) with milk and a Chai-flavored sugarfree syrup.

Good luck!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches