Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Definition of "throwing up"

Can someone help me understand what we mean when we say throw up? I read again and again that it is something we really want to avoid bc we may damage and/or slip our band. I often have a couple of bites come back up but I do not think of that as really throwing up. Am I wrong? Is that called reflux? Am I damaging my band? Thanks!!

It is the gagging and the retching you want to avoid. The motion of the stomach during retching can cause the band to slip.

Good question - I've wondered the same thing. What you described is what is normally referred to as PBing (productive burping). I do think that if you are too tight or not chewing well enough and are PBing a lot - that can be bad for your band - but I've never been totally clear about this issue.

If anyone can clarify - I'd really appreciate it too!

Thanks,

Susan

With PB'ing you are simply belching and food comes up. It is not retching like when you vomit so the actual act of PB'ing is not as stressful to your stomach/band.

But yes, if you make a habit of eating fast, not chewing well and eating too much etc. (all of which can lead to PB'ing), then you can damage your band as well.

In some ways I would think there is a fine line between PBing and throwing up. Sometimes w PBing I do strain to help the food come back out and relieve discomfort but not full on retching like if I had the flu or ate something bad. I need to just slow down and be careful but I also feel like I am in the beginners period where I am having to learn some stuff in terms of how I should now eat thru trial and error if that makes sense. It seems like it is taking my mind a while to catch up with my body and know that I have to make a 180 degree turn in how I eat now v how I ate bf which is the exact opposite of how I should eat now. Mindfully, consciously, very slowly, very small bites, very small portions. All of us that have weight issues probably never ate this way bf or we would not have weight issues. I am just now integrating what a MAJOR permanent lifestyle switch this is v just a way to lose weight. It is all good and I know I can do it!!! Thanks for everyone's support.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BetterLeah

Woohoo! I have 7 more days till surgery, So far I am already down a total of 20lbs since I started this journey. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Well done! I'm 9 days away from surgery! Keep us updated!

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches