Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from chicago: HI!

I am early in the process, haven't even seen the psych or nutritionist yet. So, I have much to learn I guess. Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences. I am going to Mercy Hospital and my doctor is Lufti. I am concerned a little because I already get the feeling they are stingy about fills because of all the lecturing that just because you gain weight doesn't mean you need a fill. They talk like you have to go over exercise, diet, and convince them that you are doing everything you can and THEN need if they think you need a fill they just might think about it. ha ha. I wonder if they get more money for surgeries than fills. I am serious that's the tone I'm getting and I've gotten concerned! What's the point of getting the band if they don't fill it. I guess once I have the band, if I need a fill I can get it elsewhere. Maybe they are just trying to teach us the band isn't a quick fix, we still have to diet and exercise and work hard. I get that, but still... why put in a band if you aren't going to fill it. I hope they aren't as stingy about it as they sound. I think they are just trying to teach us to not run for a fill every time we gain a pound but the overall tone has me concerned. :biggrin:

I guess I am not sure what to expect really, and I'm eager to read all the information I can so I know what to expect and what I can do myself to make the surgery more successful.

Edited by jeemee
I can't spell.

Hi Newbie.....I have my first Dr. visit this Tues. I want to get the ball rolling so I won't have to wait too long for the surgery. Once I made up my mind to do it, I want to get on with it. Good Luck to you.

If you already aren't happy with your surgeon and his "tone" can you go elsewhere? It's often hard to find someone "else" to do your fills. Many surgeons are reluctant (or whatever?) to take on someone else's patient. If your red flags are already flying...pay attention! :biggrin:

and i agree with you; you shouldn't have to beg for a fill. That fill is the essence of the band.

Oh, and welcome! :thumbup:

Great advice Restless Monkey and welcome newbie. You don't have to stay with this surgeon. shop around. He/she can't be the only one. Talk to others in your area who are banded and see what their experiences have been. Good luck

Honestly it's hard to tell this early in the game. I'd like to talk to other people who have gone there, to see what their experience was like.

Jeemee you do what you think is right but it's kind of like dating. If on the first date you start to get a queasy creepy feeling, you don't have to keep going out with the guy to know it's wrong! LOL Usually these first appts are happy and optimistic and so on; if you are already "wondering", trust yourself, ok? :biggrin: I guess that's the bottom line; listen to yourself and trust yourself.

Thanks restless monkey. I know I will see a psych and a nutritionist, and I think I will voice these concerns I have, very directly, when I see them. If I don't feel comfortable and reassured they are as dedicated to follow up care as selling the surgery, then at that point I will go elsewhere.

they are very good at mercy they dont want you to get all your fills in the first year they say if you get all your fills the first year then what are you going to do the second and third year and yes theyre trying to teach you the band isnt a quick fix but they look at you individually and if they think you need a fill they will gvive it to you my friend and i got the band at the same time we went for our second fill she got one i didnt the dr second i still had restriction so you shouldnt let that concern you they are very good at mercy