Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I've blown it

I was banded on 9/15/08 this is the week I am suppose to be on mashed potatoes consistincy. Well yesterday (Sat.) I was at a conference and couldnt leave and didn't bring anything to eat. When lunch time came I took one of the lunches provided and thouth "maybe there is something in here I could get down" I took a chance and consumed the hamberger patty only, nothing else. But I chewed it up to kinda make a muchy consistancy, Then it was going down so well that by the end of the patty I was just eating it as I mormally would and I didnt have any problems wih it. Then later I tried an enchalada with Beans & hamberger, no problem with that either. I added some ground turkey to a soupy rice dish that I had made at home for this weeks consistancy. Adding the ground turkey was an afterthought to being able to consume other solid foods. Ive been eating a cup to a cup & 1/2 at a time.

I know this is too much but I dont get stuck or seem to have a problem with it. I know this probably means I need a fill, but what do I do in the mean time? I'm tecnically not suppose to start pureed foods till Thursday. I dont have an appt with my surgeron till the 8th. Can I just eat what I want but following a better diet regime, or stick to the higher carb soft food? ??

Of course you can eat anything; you don't have any restriction yet. That postop diet is to allow your band to heal into place (it is sewn in and eating like you did causes your stomach to churn like a washing machine...and you can see that the churning might tear your sutures loose). Just call your surgeon and see what he says; he'll be able to tell you if you need an x-ray, or to just watch it, or go ahead and eat, or whatever.

You will stand a greater risk of a slip in your future. You aren't permitting the scarring and adhesions to form and that is what holds your band in place long term.

This is not wise. There is no excuse, none. You knew the post op diet and you choose not to do it.

The important thing is to get right back to your diet. Don't beat yourself up and punish yourself by eating more bad stuff. That's the kind of thinking that got us to needing the band in the first place. Forgive yourself and start over right now. You can do it. Stay strong.

I agree w/Rachel G7 but DO check w/your surgeon just in case, ok?

NOT to punish yourself or anything; just to make sure it's ok in there.

Odds are you're far enough along that you'll be fine but you need an official OK, ok?

I would just get right back on your postop diet as soon as possible. You need your band to heal properly and not risk the health of the band over the long term.

So you made a couple of mistakes . . . just get back on track. Harm can be minimal if you start following your post op diet again . . . but you can cause a lot of damage if you just keep eating whatever before you are ready. It is your band and your health, you deserve to do the right thing for yourself.

Wow WASabubblebutt, you reached your goal in 10 months! CONGRATS!!!

Do you have any advice for us newly banded?

Necerae, I agree with everyone else that you should get back on the band wagan after to talk to your DOC and, stay strong.

Edited by NinaWoo

I would put the solids down and get right back on the surgeons diet. This time is meant for healing the band and creating scar tissue that will hold it in place... This means less chance of slippage.

Wow WASabubblebutt, you reached your goal in 10 months! CONGRATS!!!

Do you have any advice for us newly banded?

Necerae, I agree with everyone else that you should get back on the band wagan after to talk to your DOC and, stay strong.

No white carbs and tons of exercise!

did Dr Weaver do your surgery?

Thank you to everyone who replied and your wonderful encouragement. I did get right back on the post op diet. Today I can start preed meat. looking forward to it. but havent started it, I will for lunch, planning on pureed tuna.< /p>

Thanx again, Denise