Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Eroded -now coming out...so depressed

:teeth_smile: It's been awhile since I visited lapbandtalk but I need some support right now. I was banded in Jan. 2006 and have been the storybook patient. I lost a total of 110 lbs. and did not have any problems. I considered the band my miracle and my new lease on life. When I was first banded, fellow bandsters on lapbandtalk got me thru all the little issues I had no idea about or how to cope with something. Now I need some help again....

In July, I started noticing I could eat more that I should be eating. I hadn't had a fill in over a year because I was losing just fine. I had been maintaining from Feb. of this year until July and I was so happy with my weight. Then all of a sudden, it was like the bottom dropped out. I could eat just about anything and couldn't seem to get full. I went to the doc and he seemed to think it was a slippage. I did a swallow and it really didn't show anything. So, the doc did a fill of 1.0 cc and I told him I didn't feel anything. Not like the feeling I had had before on successful fills. He did this one and told me to come back in 4 weeks. Well, I went back, he tried another fill. We waited again, and no success. I went back last week (after having gained 20 lbs back already). We did an endoscope and it showed the band had eroded. I am scheduled for surgery this Wed. to have it removed. I have cried and cried. The doc told me it was absolutely nothing that I did, that my stomach just finally rejected the band. I AM SO SCARED.....scared of gaining my weight back, scared of the hole in my stomach after its removal, scared it will get infected. So, needless to say I'm a mental case and my husband is trying to be as supportive as possible, but its hard for him to really understand. So, I just wanted to see how others have coped who have had erosion problems/slippages, etc. and had to have your band taken out. Any ideas or support would greatly be appreciated!!! Thanks so much, Greta

Have you considered getting a sleeve? There are many people getting revision to a sleeve surgery after having band problems. I worry about my band all the time. I feel like it's a time bomb and it's just a matter of time until something goes wrong.

What is a sleeve? I haven't heard about that and my doctor didn't mention it. When I asked if I could have another band, he said no. We didn't discuss any other options. Erosion is something that I never really considered happening since it only occurs in about 1% of the patients. The biggest shocker was that I had no symptoms other than the being able to eat more. But if you ask me, would I have not done it what I know now, heavens no. I've gotten 90 lbs off with it and I'm SOOOOO thankful for that. I wish you the best of luck with yours.....if you do what you're supposed to, it is a godsend!!

A sleeve is where they just make you a tiny stomach. After the surgery, there are no fills, and you don't have to worry about restriction. They make you such a small stomach, you just can't eat big portions. They use the part of the stomach that is the least stretchy so it doesn't stretch back out. Go to the bottom of the board, and there is a section for people who are having that surgery now. It's fairly new, but it's gaining in popularity all the time. So many people are losing their bands from complications and having a revision

surgery to a sleeve.

:frown:Hi! My name is Stacey, I'm 37 years old. I had the lap band put in about 6 years ago in Mexico. I just found out that it has eroded into my stomach. They want to go in and remove it in two weeks. It has also made a hole in my stomach they have to fix. I am soooooo scared!! I could use some information about this procedure.

Thanks,

Stacey:frown:

Stacey, are you asking for information about the sleeve, or about having your band removed?

I am asking for info about having an eroided lap band removed. What about the hole in your stomach? How long does it take to recouperate? How dangerous is this procedure?

Thanks

Stacey

I don't know anything about having the band removed. There should be more threads in the complications section. There is also a life without the band section where people have had to have their bands removed.

Were you really tight? Did you have any symptoms? I worry about this all the time. I saw you were signed into chat last night, but you never chatted.