Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill......I am freaked

I here all these stories on the first fill and it hurts.....they had to poke a few times. What's the deal? I go this Friday the 3rd of Oct.

I took off from work have to do the ultrsound and drink nasty stuff.

Is there questions I should ask? Something I should know about the "first fill" ? Will I feel restricted? I need to I am hungry now it's 7 weeks from my surgery and Tuesday will be 8 weeks. My doctor was on vaca this week or I would ahve been filled. I am so scared. :lol:

I had surgery 5 weeks ago, had my first fill last week and I didn't feel a thing. It is less painfull then having a blood test!

However im from Australia and my Doctor just asked me to tense my stomach muscles, he found my port & 1 poke and it was done.

Over in 2 minutes.

I felt a little sore afterwards, but nothing really painfull, just a dull ache.

After your fill you may be more restricted so just watch what you eat for atleast 24 hours, but just ask these questions to your doctor & he will let you know.

Honestly it's nothing to worry about, it was a walk in the park.

HI!

Don't worry too much about the fills. It really does hurt LESS than a blood draw! My doctor has me do a sort of 'sit-up' and when the muscle is tense, the port sticks up and he pokes it. Once the split second poke is done the needle could stay in there and it doesn't hurt.

It's more fear than anything. If you've ever had a flu shot--those hurt way more! LOL Trust me, if the fills were so bad, no one would get them! You'll be okay, just relax and be ready to have some restriction and not feel as hungry!

~C

My doctor does fills differently. She has me lay down on the table with a pillow under my back so my back is kind of arched and my belly is sticking up some. Then she gives me a shot of this numbing stuff and then she puts in the needle to find my port and injects the saline. She may move the needle around a little to locate it but I don't feel it because she numbed the whole area. Then she has me drink some Water to make sure it goes down and I'm done. I guess every doc has a way of doing what works for them.

People do have a hard time sometimes, but I don't think it is the norm. My fill was completely painless and no numbing agent was used at all. The only thing that hurt from my fill was pulling the bandaid off!!!!:lol:

You said that you're having the barium swallow and the machine.... if it's like my doctor, he has me stand and lift my shirt, injects my port site with lidocane (TOTALLY Numbs me), then shows me my port and band on the monitor, then injects as I sip the barium. It doesn't taste that bad.... no worse than maalox- chalky. There is absolutely no pain, and the doctor determines how much to put based on how quickly the barium passes through the port. I actually look forward to my visits and you are fortunate to have the barium fills... they are more accurate.

my first 4 fills i had the licodane shot & it HURT more than my fills or unfills w/out. my port is exposed (raised in view) and has been since very early on - so finding it has never been an issue.

you'll be fine - don't psych yourself out too much!

my first 4 fills i had the licodane shot & it HURT more than my fills or unfills w/out. my port is exposed (raised in view) and has been since very early on - so finding it has never been an issue.

you'll be fine - don't psych yourself out too much!

Have you talked to your doctor about relocating your port so it won't stick out so much? They can do it.

Have you talked to your doctor about relocating your port so it won't stick out so much? They can do it.

no. i never really had "belly fat" - so w/in the first 15lbs lost, my port was raised (carried my weight in the butt/thighs).

if i needed to have a TT (which i don't) or some other plastic surgery due to skin issues - sure i'd probably look into a low profile port...but it does not bother me to do something unless i needed to. had a bikini on all summer and didn't feel self conscious....i call her trudy, (protruding port) and just will live w/it.

My first fill was PAINLESS! And she said it took longer than usual because of some air bubbles... so don't stress out. Close your eyes and it will only be a little teeny, tiny prick!

Thank you everyone...I do feel better. It's the waiting now and I am hungry and I did over eat yesterday and today. I am not happy. I would have had my fill already if he wasn't on vaca....but it's all good...he needs a vaca too. lol I am now worried I will not have will power and I don't want to start that up again. I am fighting my urge to eat more then I should. I have my four days planned out already on what I am to eat or not eat the rest of the week until Friday. I just can't wait to feel full again....it just died in me..like last weekend I felt like I never had the band, it was weird.....I am going on my 8 week of the band and no fill.....it's really hard, very hard right now. Last weekend it was like someone turn my knob or something...I just felt hungry for the first time in 7 weeks....it was freaky. Now Tuesday is my 8 week.....then Friday fill....well I can not wait. At least it seems like it really doesn't hurt and needles do not bother me at all. Thanks:redface:

I saw your post last night and knew I was getting my first fill on Monday. Well, sweetie, you are freaked about NOTHING! It was much easier than a shot, blood draw and the pain after surgery. I had the fluro fill since it was my first. The NP poked with her fingers around my post incision and found it, put me in front of the x-ray machine and showed me where it was on the screen. It was quite cool to say the least. She got me positioned just right, sprayed me with the numbing spray (feels like an ice cube pressed against your skin too long), stuck the needle with the saline solution in it and began to fill, I drank some of that barium stuff (taste like Maalox or Mylanta) and could see it go into my pouch it went up too far like it was going to come out my throat and she said that was reflux, took some saline out and when the barium went down, took the needle out, said she put 32cc's in my band which gave me a total of 38cc's, put a bandaid on and off to the nutritionist I went. I felt so stupid for how I was freaking out so bad about it. I can't describe how easy it really was. All I can say is don't waste your time being freaked. It's a TRUE waste of time. You'll do just fine. And oh, by the way I HATE needles so I didn't watch her stick me and barely felt pressure. Good luck. :smile:

I here all these stories on the first fill and it hurts.....they had to poke a few times. What's the deal? I go this Friday the 3rd of Oct.

I took off from work have to do the ultrsound and drink nasty stuff.

Is there questions I should ask? Something I should know about the "first fill" ? Will I feel restricted? I need to I am hungry now it's 7 weeks from my surgery and Tuesday will be 8 weeks. My doctor was on vaca this week or I would ahve been filled. I am so scared. :cool2:

Edited by health4life

So I will not worry anymore...But I just can't wait to get this done. That's all I am thinking about. I want this now. lol I want to start this. Four more days.....time is a ticking lol Thanks for all the support. This site is so great

I have had 2 fills and I HATE needles. They were not bad at all or I wouldnt go back for more lol. Just a tiny prick and pressure thats all. My first one was done in the Xray dept. and the second one was done in his office. Made me lift my legs up in the air which tightens ur tummy mucsle and he found the port right away and one stick presto add a little saline and done. Slap a bandaid on ya drink some water...and u are out the door. No need to worry about it at all.