Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your doctor push you to have your first fill?

I was banded on 7/28 - 8 1/2 weeks ago. I had some delayed healing at my port incision site, so the doctor has not done a fill yet. It's finally almost healed enough that he could do a fill. However, I'm not sure that I want one. The last 3 visits, which were each 2 weeks apart, I've lost 5 lbs, so about 2.5 lbs per week. I eat what I think are larger meals (smart ones or lean michelina's dinners, a mini-sub at Subway, etc.). However, I'm eating healthy, and I feel very satisfied after I eat. My hunger is gone, and doesn't come back for several hours. Occassionally my band does feel tight, but for the most part, I can eat whatever I want as long as I chew slowly.

My question is - why do I need a fill if I'm satisfied and I'm losing weight? My doctor told me yesterday that he wants me to get a fill so that I don't reach a plateau, or start getting hungry again. He says that you don't really have a pouch yet until you get a fill. I feel like he's really pushing me to do it. Has anyone else experienced this? I've heard there are many people that never get a fill and still reach their goal weight.

I'm exercising 4 days a week, and I am really enjoying seeing the weight come off. I don't really want to risk the misery of getting stuck, when I'm already doing so well.

I get my first fill 10/9 and I WANT it. It's why I got the band...I have absolutely no restriction whatsoever. However, you're the consumer. If you don't want it, don't get it.

I don't think "many" people reach goal without a fill, though; not sure where you got that statistic but from the literature I've read, studies don't show that to be true. A VERY small percentage of people feel restriction with just the band and don't need a fill FOR A WHILE...but as you lose and the visceral fat around your stomach disappears, your band will loosen too.

However, let me reiterate that regardless, some people ARE successful without getting the band and maybe for you just the psychological fact that you went through the surgery will be enough to keep you motivated. Your doc knows what he's talking about...if he says you don't have a pouch, you don't. He was in there....he placed the band. You may not NEED the pouch, though, to lose with the band. So do what you think is right.

One caveat however; if you are afraid of getting a fill because of PB'ing or something, maybe a psych visit or two would be in order (and I don't mean to presume you feel that way. You didn't say you did and I'm just thinking out loud, not trying to be judgmental or anything) because for most of us, that golden period of weight loss doesn't last without the restriction and satiety of the band.

You'll do what's right for you!

My doctor wouldn't give me a fill on my 1 month appt. I'm not healed enough I guess. I am having a hard time deciding if I am restricted or not. I am eating small amounts and chewing well and eating slowly. I feel satisfied, so I quit, but in a couple hours I feel hungry. Don't know if I'm not eating enough or what the deal is. Both the nutritionist and the physician's asst said that is possible, but my surgeon says that is ridiculous. I told him I didn't agree with him, but he used holocost victims as an example.. I just scoffed at him... Anyway, I don't know if I should be anxious to get my first fill or not. My weight loss has really slowed and I am feeling depressed about it a little. :bolt: Thanks for listening....

I got my first fill 2 months after surgery. I was losing weight and it took some time to get over my fear of a needle poking me.

with each and every fill, my doc. and I made the decision together. don't feel pressured into having a fill until you are ready. you've lost 31 pounds without it. you will know when your ready.

good luck

sandy

If you're losing weight at 2lb a week and not struggling with hunger, you don't need a fill! Plain and simple. Don't let the doctor push you into it. When you DO start to struggle with hunger and the weight loss slows because you are eating more, that's when you go back for the top up. Everyone is different and quite a number of people have lost their weight without ever needing a fill or only having one fill. Most of us need at least 3 or 4 to get to a good restriction level and some will need many more than that. If you're happy right now, let it ride until you're not happy any more - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I agree with Fanny. Don't be pushed into a fill you don't need. My PA normally does a first fill of 3-4cc in an 11cc band. I asked for half of that and then only wound up with 1cc, because that is all I needed. I am eating a cup of food 3-4 times per day. I am satisfied, haven't been sick and losing around 2 lbs per week. Until I am hungry again, or not losing I am not going for another fill.