Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wedding Story Fun Thread

Time to share wedding stories. I didn't have a wedding. I would love to have one for my 10 year wedding anniversary. You girls all wanna be flower girls? Big poofy white dresses?

Chris and I had broken up but were miserable without each other. I went to his apartment to end it for good. We were drinking and crying and trying to break up when he asked me to marry him. I knew I couldn't lose him, so I said, "let's go." He looked at me like I was crazy and wanted to wait to plan a ceremony, get a suit & dress, etc. I said, "no way, if I don't do it now I'll chicken out.

So we went to the courthouse (open 24 hrs in Vegas.) I just wanted the judge to do it, but then I simply couldn't. So we took the license to Cupid's Wedding Chappel where Elvis did NOT get married, but cheesebally all the same.

I was in shorts and cha-cha sandals. As we stood at the podium, my legs went Jello, so I yelled, "Wait!" I ran to the pews, kicked off my sandals then told the minister, "okay, now my feet are planted on the floor."

We drove home up the Las Vegas Strip honking the horn. I was waving my marriage cert out the window telling everyone, I'm Married." Then we went home and I called the local 7-11 and told the clerk I just got married (not that we knew him, but I had to tell SOME body.)

Then I did the dutiful thing and woke the Momster up at 1:00 a.m. to tell her. She started lecturing me about government corruption. I said, "did you hear me, your youngest child just got married." She said, "yeah, congraduations but President Regan belongs to a cult and sacrifices lambs."

Here's my wedding story-

I got married in a Country/Western Gay bar in Seattle. Wedding & Reception all in one place. This was their first hetero wedding. Mind you, it was 1993 and Country Music was all the rage. The rental charge was whatever the bar tab was. Got the rental of the place & beer, wine & peanuts for about 5K. Anyhow, this bar is in a beautiful old building which used to be the Sons of Norway Hall and also the Painters Union Hall.

My husband is Jewish, I am not--At the time I was working for the City of Seattle Municipal Court--One of the judges I knew did the honors. I still to this day have a vision of my dad carting this huge container of condoms out of the mens bathroom and looking for a place to hide it. My mom & dad new that the place was a gay bar, but my Mother & Father-in-law didn't have a clue. My mother-in-law even commented that "all of the posters/art works were of men without any shirts on"

Also had an incident with my dress and my three bridesmaids dresses. I took them to a woman who did the alterations on my best friends wedding dress. Well it got to be about two weeks before the wedding and I hadn't heard anything from this woman. I kept calling and leaving messages. One week from my wedding I get a call from the womans daughter. Apparently the woman had keeled over from a heart attack. She was 65-70 years old and not even 5 feet tall. I kept wondering--Did this tiny old woman die from tossing my big old dress around? I hated to seem insensitive, but it was kind of like "She died" oh, I'm so sorry can I have my dresses?--

My soon to be sisters-in-law were absoulutely terrified that a Water fight was going to break out at my wedding. You see, at my neice's wedding, that is exactly what we did. had a giant Water fight. 'Cause I suppose that is the sort of people we are.

I don't think my sisters-in-law have ever had a water fight in their entire lives. More the pitty.

We had about 250 people at our wedding. We had our cerimony at my in-law's rec center just south of Seattle, in Normandy Park. It was a beautiful late August day. I'm firmly convinced that August is our reward for the rest of the year. It's always just the most beautiful month here...

The limo was a vintage Bently. My dress was a cream Renaissance inspired dress, and DH and Spudboy were both wearing tail coats. Our groomsmen (I think we had 8 of them) wore traditional tuxes, but my ladies were all in Renaissance dresses. Thier colors were from a pale pink to a deep burgundy, depending on their color. (I bought their dresses...)

DH had arranged a harpist. .... A small stream demarked the area where the cerimony was from our guests. After DH and I exchanged our vows, DH and Spud exchanged their vows to be dad and boy. The three of us lit the Unity Candle. To greet our guests we met them at the bridge.

the reception was in the rec hall, with a big buffet of cold-cuts and cheeses and stuff like that. All the left-overs went to the one of the local soup-kitchens. (We sort of doubled our food budget so that there would be plenty of extra.)

the next week we went to another wedding, and all anyone could talk about was my wedding. I was soo embarrased for the other woman. ...

My dad had died a little more than a month before my wedding, after a long bout with cancer. My younger sister thought I should cancel the wedding, and didn't speak to me for years because I didn't cancel. My dad would have had a gi-normous fit if we'd canceled and lost our deposit money. He was funny that way! :)

OK I was asked to get married in June, bridal shower in August, exchanged vows in Sept (4 days after my birthday).

My mom made my wedding dress. My aunt made my pillbox hat and veil. I wore brown sandals with a slight heel. My groom wore a brushed brown velvet blazer. He had on tan suede pants with a baby yellow shirt NO TIE. He wore boots that had heels that 3 inches high. We almost had the same hair style. Shoulder length wavy hair. My flowers were bronze mums and daisies.

My dad showed up just as I was getting ready to go through the door. As the wedding march was played I stepped through the door and he pulled me back and said "are you sure?" I said "yeah, let's go". I should have listened. LOL!!

We were getting ready to leave the reception (at the local hotel in fact the ONLY hotel in town reception hall - it held 30 LOL) and we ran for the car. We were going to the Lake Resort for a honeymoon. So we set out on the road and hear a THUMP THUMP. We pull over expecting to see a flat tire, instead we see a balloon tied to the undercarriage of the fender and a piece of cardboard as well. LOL!!!!

My wedding was WONDERFUL!!!

It all started on Sunday, December 21st. Steven and I were in the car and he asked me what I would say if he asked me to marry him, after much convincing that he was serious and not kidding around I said yes. So the we went to tell our parents, We told him mom first because she would be going to bed soon, when she asked him when he said Christmas eve. I thought NEXT year, he meant in 3 days!!

So we then go tell my parents who only lived 2 miles away from his mom. My mom was very happy and my dad took Steven out side to talk for a couple of minutes. to this day I do not know what they talked about but I do know that my dad liked him.

A friend made my dress, (the same friend also mad our daughters christening gown with the left over material 5 years later!!) my best friend was my Matron of honor, his brother in law was best man. We got married at his sisters house, The Christmas tree was lit and they had a big fire in the fire place not for warmth though, We did not even have to wear jackets that day!! There were only 30 people there including the wedding party. It was the perfect night for me. My family and the man I love.

My wedding day was so fantastic! Great weather (a bit windy) and sunny day in March in Arizona. I had my best friends fly all the way to Arizona from Illinois and I had my Bachelorette party in Las Vegas!!

Hubby unfortunately got a kidney infection from his weekend of boozing in Flagstaff at a cabin with "da boyz". He isn't much of a big liquor drinker, more of a beer kinda guy.

I was applied and was chosen to be on "A Wedding Story" on TLC channel on TV. I was sooooooo excited! :D But, everyone in the wedding party had to sign a release to be on TV and because the best man was doing undercover work for Homeland Security we couldn't. I had to cancel. :) The day after I cancelled the best man called to say he had to miss the wedding all together. I was PISSED. I called her back and she had already told the alternate they were chosen. :D

I was married before but never had a wedding. I have a son from a previous marriage he adopted and we announced in our ceremony. We secretly surprised our son with a three circle medallian in our ceremony. Our wedding was full of tears one minute, laughter the next. It was great!

Instead of a unity candle we had a "rememberence candle" with pictures of loved ones that had passed on. We lit the candle in rememberence of them and hopes they were with us on our special day.

The day itself was a FAIRYTALE with a fairytale theme. We had "dancing fairies" playing as I walked down the aisle and flowers and ambience abound! We were married in a Gazebo on a golf course at sunset and had our wedding reception overlooking the golf course at full moon!

We had the BEST dj's ever and they played 80's music galore! We rocked out to the Go-Go's and Men Without Hats and Billy Idol all night long.

And this is the best part.... I planned my wedding full time for a year. I made it a game to find out how much I could save by wheeling/dealing/etc on EVERYTHING yet not scrimp on style. Some things I paid full price, some I got a SMOKING deal!!! I ebayed A LOT. I bartered. I begged. I flashed cleavage even one time. I kept careful track of everything down to the penny. I even kept a cost comparison to show what "regular" price would have been. My total wedding (and I mean everything including the b-parties, honeymoon cruise, food, dress, bridesmaid dresses, decorations, all rentals, photography, cake, flowers, the WORKS) WOULD have been $17,279 and I paid.... ready? ..... $7,197!! I saved over 10k with my efforts! It was VERY hard work though and I worked constantly for a year on it.

I have always been into photography but have always done surreal type photos. Since all the work on my wedding, I took up wedding photography for friends and family. I cry at EVERY wedding. Even if I don't know them and came there to photograph it on a referral from a friend.

Here are some pics of my wedding day.......

post-204351-13813131874699_thumb.jpg

post-204351-13813131875073_thumb.jpg

post-204351-13813131875458_thumb.jpg

post-204351-13813131875816_thumb.jpg

post-204351-1381313187616_thumb.jpg