Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scared and overwhelmed with the future...

NukeChik

I'm scared to death.

I'm not happy with either candidate for the presidency. In fact they both scare the sh$t out of me!

I'm afraid of what I can eat. I'm afraid I might eat something with tainted milk in if from China.

I'm afraid of the economy. We are on the brink. I think that for Bush to actually make a speech about it, it is worse than the public knows. I know that they have to look at the collateral damage from public panic before they do a speech like that.

I'm scared to death and I'm one of the lucky ones. My job is stable, my mortgage rate is fixed. I carry no debt other than my house. I have no children.

I'm having an overwhelming urge to move into a cabin in the middle of nowhere and raise and shoot my own food.

i know, the US is really a scary place to be right now... i guess the only "saving grace" i have is if things get too messed up, DH is from Toronto, we can go up there ... but things are expensive there...

This being scared to death is not good for you. The chances are excellent that you will survive and thrive. You have, after all, a secure property and a secure job and you are only 32. If you confine your choice of dairy products to fresh milk and yogurt and icecream and such cheeses as are made in America, Canada or in Europe, you will certainly not ingest melamine, the product which has been added to Chinese milk.

As for the choice in presidents, well, you survived Bush for the previous 8 years and so your country will likely survive whatever is on offer during the next four. My advice is the same with respect to the economy. Good or bad, the economy doesn't kill off too many of us and you do have that job and that house.

This brings me to your level of anxiety: it is excessive and makes me wonder whether you should see a doctor. The cause could be organic - faulty neurochemistry - or your anxiety over these issues could be masking other, different and more personal concerns entirely.

i know, the US is really a scary place to be right now... i guess the only "saving grace" i have is if things get too messed up, DH is from Toronto, we can go up there ... but things are expensive there...

I live in Toronto. It is a great place to live but you are right! It is expensive for most people, especially the housing. Only Vancouver, I think, is worse. food and clothing and books aren't so bad once you have lived here for awhile and have learned where the bargains are. Still, it is a fun place to live. Very multi-cultural. Lots of festivals going on throughout the year. A big variety of ethnic restaurants and some pretty good shopping.

Still, it is a fun place to live. Very multi-cultural. Lots of festivals going on throughout the year. A big variety of ethnic restaurants and some pretty good shopping.

thats what i loved about it.... VERY multi-cultural... i am Caucasian, DH is Asian ... i still get the look here in redneckland (Texas)... in TO, we wouldnt get a second glance...

with housing - well, we want to live in the Beaches, and well, wayyyyy too pricey for us now that i've quit my job... :teeth_smile:

Edited by losingjusme
spelling is not my friend today...

The economy thing is really scary. What happens to the US happens to the rest of the world too. It will flow on to the rest of the world.

I just try to look at it that if we all go into depression, everyone is up sh*t creek without a paddle. Nobody will be going through it alone.

Although I'm very glad we're not greedy people. We have a modest house, a teeny mortgage nearly paid off, modest cars. We buy stuff as we can afford to. We're not people who have to have the biggest and best of everything. I know loads of people who are up to their ears in debt on houses, cars, plasmas, etc.

This brings me to your level of anxiety: it is excessive and makes me wonder whether you should see a doctor. The cause could be organic - faulty neurochemistry - or your anxiety over these issues could be masking other, different and more personal concerns entirely.

Thanks for the concern, I could have been a teensy, weensy overdramatic.:) I'm okay though as far as my anxiety levels. Hope you're doing good, I read a post about you being sick. Sending you some good vibes.

Although I'm very glad we're not greedy people. We have a modest house, a teeny mortgage nearly paid off, modest cars. We buy stuff as we can afford to. We're not people who have to have the biggest and best of everything. I know loads of people who are up to their ears in debt on houses, cars, plasmas, etc.

My hubby and I are the same. We don't have new and exciting electric gadgets, newest car is a 2004. I can't believe the statistics I read all the time about the average consumer's credit card debt. I think the last time I saw the avg it was about 8K. I'm proud to say I haven't carried any credit card debt in 10 years.

What makes this economy even more pleasant is having two daughters living at home going to college full time!!! We live in a small town and they commute to a larger city so we need more cars, one has 150,000 miles on it and the other 100,000+. I constantly worry one car will die and they can't get to school or something plus tuition is a beaaaach!!! My husband's car is much better thank God as he is the main breadwinner in the family. But think about how expensive and hard it will be for them to get jobs once they graduate and will they ever be able to afford to live on their own? Sorry for the long vent! Nancy:eek:

The economy thing is really scary. What happens to the US happens to the rest of the world too. It will flow on to the rest of the world.

I just try to look at it that if we all go into depression, everyone is up sh*t creek without a paddle. Nobody will be going through it alone.

Yep, my sibs and I were raised to be fairly conservative in our spending habits. We were taught to pay cash for everything except property and that every grrl should own herself some property. We were also taught to have savings for that rainy day.

I love shopping and I have some nice stuff (thanks to bargain hunting) but I paid off the property first and I have a nice bunch of savings. At the moment though I don't want to enquire about the health of my savings/investments. Although I live in Canada I know they have been negatively impacted by the mess south of the border. I guess I am in denial; I don't want to know the gruesome details of the shrinkage!