Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood in the Band Fluid

I tried posting this question on the lap band complications thread and didn't get any responses, so I figured I'd try here too.

About ten days ago I had to get unfilled because I was too tight to bend without losing my coffee, etc. Two days ago I got refilled. Yesterday I had pain in band after swallowing liquids so I had to get partially unfilled again. When he unfilled me he said he was going to take out all of the Fluid because there was blood in it and then put some new Fluid in. I know I should have asked him, but I didn't. Does anybody know what causes blood to be in the band fluid? Should I be concerned? Has this happened to anyone else?

Please share your thoughts on this with me.

I feel pretty good today and it's my first day on mushies. No pain, no issues except over my port is sore and a bit swollen.

Thanks.

Sue

So sorry to hear of your troubles, and also sorry I'm unable to help you out but I don't know why or how it happens. But wanted to send you best wishes anyway.

my guess is it got in there due to passing through the skin and vessels before entering the port and then pushed into the port and tubing. I could be wrong I am just guessing. Ask him next time. I too am unfilled it stinks, the last 2 times I have gotten too tight, but without it I have no restriction. I was down 60 lbs, but have gained 5 lbs since July when this all started happening. I wish you luck finding the answer to your question.

Could it be from the actual injection? You have to pass through tissue to get there

I would imagine its either from the needle collecting some blood before it got injected into the port itself. Was there alot of digging or maybe the needle come out while he was pulling out your fill and sucked up some blood while he did it. I wouldn't worry unless it becomes an all the time thing. I am sure its a fluke.

SueMagoo...if your doc's office is open on friday afternoons, call and ask. Seems to me like there shouldn't be blood in there, or maybe just a very very little. Even if the needled passed through a small capillary or vein, it would only have a little blood on it. Best to ask and then post the answer so you can educate all of us! :thumbup:

I can't see anyway it could get in there unless it collected in the syringe on its way to the port. The band is a closed system unless you are accessing the port with a needle. Please let us know what the doctor says.

Nina:

I got banded 7/26/07. I feel 20 years younger with all of those extra pounds gone.

Best wishes to you in your lap band journey.

Sue

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll wait it out and ask next time I have to go unless I start to feel sick.

Best wishes to everyone.

Sue