Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Already Noticing Hormone Changes!!! YEAH!

I was banded on 12/31, and I can tell a definite difference in body odor already!. Over the past couple of years I had developed a not-so-pleasant feminine odor, as well as just a general sour smell all over, both of which have disappeared completely--I REALLY hope it is not just a temporary "jolt" to my body from surgery!

Now I'm waiting to see what else this will help with. A couple of months ago my moustache finally came in :), plus some long (but thankfully blond) sideburns. And we'll see about my period. My last period was in September UNTIL about 9am on the day of surgery, when it decided to make another appearance. I really hate my body sometimes. :D

KkiVal315..thanks..i haven't tried nair yet. I usually wax my chin and lip...but the facial hair on cheek is driving me crazy..I didn't want to try something to make it worse in the long run. I spoken with my gynecolgist about it, they just don't understand how it makes you look at yourself. I am thinking about laser hair removal, but i didn't know how well that worked. Hopefully, the weight loss will assist with it. Hope everyone has a good weekend!:confused:

hey ann, if you can laser...LASER!!!! you can't go wrong.:thumbup:

Congrats to everyone here who is making the uphill climb against PCOS. I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I had laser for my entire body for over 2 years, and I had a modicum of success. My facial hair is thinner, but it's persistent. I went religiously every few weeks, but only my leg hair really went away (which is a blessing!). However, someone recently told me that prior to having laser it's important to get your hormones under control, and I don't think mine were when I started. Apparently, in addition to weight loss, there are birth control pills and other medication you can take to help manage your hormones. Unless your hormones are controlled, laser often won't work well.

Regarding the body odor, I found a great solution (albeit a pricey one!) that finally worked. It's called Body Mint, and it's pure Alfalpha or Chlorophyll (or something like that), so it isn't a medication. You take it twice a day and it deodorizes your entire body/breath. The stuff works!!! It takes a couple of weeks to notice a difference though, then you have to stay on it. The website is Body Mint - Fight bad breath, body odor and foot odor. It runs like 20 or 30 bucks a month though, so it's not cheap. It will also turn your stools green. However, when all else fails, it's a godsend. Best of luck to all of you!

OMG!!! I have thought for years that I am some sort of freak b/c i have male-patterned facial and body hair and couldn't lose weight no matter what I tried. I didn't realize that my now-becoming-irregular periods are also a symptom of PCOS due to chronic weight gain. I am crying like a baby while sitting here typing this message b/c I have been so down on myself for so long and so very frustrated at all the medical personnel who just perscribed a cream for the facial hair and told me to just "lose weight." I am going to a new dr. on April 14 to discuss my PCOS concerns. I WILL NOT SIT BY ANY LONGER FEELING LIKE A SUB-HUMAN b/c of my size and excess hair. Thank you so very much for making me feel not so alone:)

Precious Sweetbean!!!

You are not a freak. You are SOOOO BEAUTIFUL and you have gifts that no one else in this world does!! :confused:

Anyone of us could have written your post and how sad is that...you know? That so many doctors either blow us off, make rediculous statements about us/our situation...when in reality...they themselves don't have a clue how to best assist us.

You are home here with us...we know EXACTLY what you are feeling!

I struggled for 8 years with this crap...and I think it was finally year 5 that I figured out most doctors don't care...you are a number, move you in or out of their office...I started to do my own research and be my own advocate and THAT is when true healing began. THAT is when I learned about PCOS and being BANDED...no doctor EVER mentioned it.

Glad to have you here girl!!!!

Happy Friday!

OMG!!! I have thought for years that I am some sort of freak b/c i have male-patterned facial and body hair and couldn't lose weight no matter what I tried. I didn't realize that my now-becoming-irregular periods are also a symptom of PCOS due to chronic weight gain. I am crying like a baby while sitting here typing this message b/c I have been so down on myself for so long and so very frustrated at all the medical personnel who just perscribed a cream for the facial hair and told me to just "lose weight." I am going to a new dr. on April 14 to discuss my PCOS concerns. I WILL NOT SIT BY ANY LONGER FEELING LIKE A SUB-HUMAN b/c of my size and excess hair. Thank you so very much for making me feel not so alone:)

Oh Sweetbean, you made me tear up. It took me over 10 years to convince a doctor there was something wrong with my hormones, and I'm a NURSE! Get this book, it will help you explain and show to your doctor. It's a hard diagnosis to come by, but I think the medical community is getting better informed. The book is called "It's My Ovaries, Stupid". Such a fitting title :) You aren't alone! We are all suffering with the PCOS monster together.

Re: the laser hair removal. Get your hormones regulated before you do it. I spent $$$ and it all grew back with a vengeance! Hopefully the weight loss will make it naturally lighten and subside.

Hi all....

Just wanted to post an update. I was banded just over a year ago....9/19/08... my PCOS/IR still in full remission. This surgery saved my life. STILL was seeing positive hormone changes even a few months ago...it's interesting how messed up one can be and HOW LONG it takes to reverse what happened. Hope everyone is doing well...

MY PCOS Timeline...

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being feeling normal)

1999-2006 - Getting diagnosed (23 stupid docs) = -7 (yes, negative)

2006 - One hormone doc knew something = 5

2008- Lapband = 9.8

I still say there is something majorly whacked about being able to manipulate your stomach to trick your body into making hormones...