Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Already Noticing Hormone Changes!!! YEAH!

Hi Cyster Bandsters!

I am one week out from surgery and ALREADY am seeing major positive changes in hormones.

I have severe PCOS/IR...so severe that my actual body odor has been changed significantly among many other gross things. My body also STOPPED making a few hormones completely a few years ago.

~~ I am proud to report I am on NO supplemental bio identical hormones and my body odor...although not normal...is SIGNIFICANTLY, SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED!

Wishing everyone the best...we can do this! :tongue2:

Glad to hear the changes are happening so fast!! This is good news for me as I sit and wait the last few weeks til I can get mine.

Just wondering, for anyone who has excessive body hair, does that start to lessen? I'm thinking it will and hoping so too.

Hey Sun...

I didn't respond until today because I wanted to watch the hair to give you a real answer..lol..I am 21 days out and have noticed a few things about that lovely extra PCOS hair...it's lighter in color, it's softer (not as coarse), and it's not growing as fast. WHOOP!

Karen

What about thinning hair.. can that improve?

Minxz...

The two main things I have heard for helping thinning hair...is Biotin (my doc and his staff even recommend it). Biotin is one of eight essential Vitamins that comprise the B-complex. Biotin used for Hair growth. Biotin works with other B Vitamins to make healthy cells and convert carbohydrates, fats, and Proteins into energy. Biotin is also known as the Vitamin that produces healthy hair and helps prevent graying. Biotin is a widely used ingredient in hair products due to its hair promoting properties. Biotin increases hair cortex elasticity , prevents breakage, and thickens hair cuticle. A condition called seborrhea dermatitis, or cradle cap, which is characterized by a dry, scaly scalp, may occur as a result of biotin deficiency. Biotin plays a vital role in the production of energy from the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats. It may support the health of nails and offer treatment for brittle nails. Biotin also promotes healthy hair, skin, sweat glands, nerve tissue, bone marrow, and male sex glands.

Biotin is in most multis but you can get it by intself and supplement.

Others on this site swear that thinning hair can be tied to not enough Protein.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Karen

TY I will look into it. The thinning is a symptom of PSOS as well. Fun how the same condition can cause hair where you don't want it and none where your supposed to have it... Sigh

Hi Karen,

thanks so much for that. Its kind of a theory of mine about the hair growth sort of 'returning to normal' once the hormones do. I'm looking forward to checking it out on myself.

I don't know much about hair thinning with PCOS. Mine is so thick its annoying. I can't have long hair because it gets too heavy and clumps together. My scalp can't breathe, it sweats and that can't evaporate, so its stays there and causes itching and an infection *sigh*.

I have heard from people on here that about 5 months or so after the thinning starts, the hair sort of sorts itself out and there's regrowth. I'm assuming it has to do with a rebalance of hormons. Possibly the drop after sugery causes and over reaction and hair stops growing for a bit (to replace that falling out), but it calms down and starts to grow again. Anyway, just a theory.

SUN! What an interesting theory!! I can't wait to watch my hair...I thought if you made is past the 6wks mark and your hair hadn't fallen out you were golden...I will sure be watching mine in the coming months.

Hormones are the most interesting and complex thing. And extremely frustrating!!!!

Good luck to us all!!! :teeth_smile:

Im almost 4 months post op, I also have severe PCOS with very very very thin hair, and the lovely facial hair. I take a B complex with Bioten (I mix it in my Protein shake) and I have noticed my hair has has started growing in a little bit, I'm hoping it continues. I've also noticed that the facial hair is coming in slower too...YEAH! One other thing....my periods are actual regular for the first time in my whole life. I now have between 28-30 day cycles, and before I could go months without having a period then bleed forever lol. So this weight loss is really helping :biggrin:

That's great to hear because I was thinking to maybe have the gastric instead. My hormones are so out of control! Thank God for this site and your comments. I'm having my surgery 12/15! In the meantime I'm excersicing like crazy to lose that 5% of my body weight. Also I bought a low glycemic index cookbook that helped my insulin. But I'm still on metformin and aldactone. Let's see what happens:unsure: Thank you

its amazing what 50lbs can do for you; my periods are back to normal, like clockwork; my PCOS was the main reason why i got surgery done. i know that the hair, skin,and nails Vitamin was helping, i ran out and never bought them again, well im now thining again, so i bought this one that's strictly for hair, we'll see how that goes

Okay...now I am just over 3 months post op and I am STILL seeing my hormones improve. Over the Christmas holiday I was telling hubby how much better I was feeling...almost normal like I was eight years ago before the hormones got funky.

I wish you all luck...hoping and praying we keep seeing blessed results!

:thumbup:

What do you for facial hair? I hate it...i am at my wits end with it. I to, am hoping to start seeing changes. I have started getting facial hair on cheeks...don't know what to do, i don't want to do something that will make it worse. Any help is greatly appreciated!

if i knew then, what i know now...i'd use nair to remove it. i started off shaving, like an IDIOT. what did i know i was only 12 or 13...now i get laser done, costly,but soooo worth it!