Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking to talk w/ someone similiar to me

Hi, I'm a female 5'7", 231 lbs, BMI 36, 44 yrs old, diabetic type II - metaforim and Lantus -insulin, high blood pressure (now under control w/med), high cholesterol, the works and sleep apnea.

I'm wondering if there are any banded persons out there that are in a similiar health situation and if they've been successful. If been going back and forth for a year on getting banded and I need some feedback. I know it's my decision and I read all the successes, but then I also read that the diabetes holds you back from losing weight and you don't get rid of the diabetes.

Always wondering, I guess I think too much!:tongue2:

Brettalyn:wink_smile:

Gastric bypass is touted as the "cure" for diabetes but depending on how long you've been diabetic and what food choices you make post op (because you can still load up on carbs and sweets...no dumping syndrome with the band) your DM II can resolve or at the least be very well controlled post banding. The band is a tool, however, and you must be committed to using it. That means choose the right foods to eat, and exercise. I'd suggest going to a seminar and asking the surgeon what his/her results are with DM II. Most are not into a "hard sell"...but if you're worried, take a trusted friend or family member along to help you. Ask questions...see how you feel.

I was banded Aug. 22 and I took 2 shots of insulin, a blood pressure pill, Nexium, and sleep on a C-Pap machine and I will tell you this since I have had my surgury I have not took another shot or pill for anything. I cant believe it myself. I still sleep on my CPAP but hope to come off of it soon. I have lost 21 pounds since surgury because I didnt have to do a Pre-op diet. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dana,

I really do appreciate the support. I know this has to be the right thing to do, I've even been dreaming about it.

Keep up your successes!

Let us know what you decide to do. I would do it again today if I had to. I love my band. It is so easy now to diet because that band is a tool but a GREAT tool. Now I really think about dieting. I eat anything I want to eat but just in smaller amounts. Good luck!

I called and left a message to make my screening appointment. I've done this before and cancelled 6 mo's ago, this time I'm keeping it.

I'm hoping for the same success that you're having. Great job.

Hi I too am diabetic. Weight 225 BMI 35, I had surgery on Sept. 18th. 1st dr visit lost 7 lbs and my fasting sugars are finally starting to lower. My morning fast has been under 100 (usally in the 220-250 range) I know I am healing right now so I have to take it easy, but I have more engery. I am very positive about my desicion.

Wow we are very similiar, It would feel so good to wake up and have a normal reading. Thanks for posting, I wish you all the success you're looking for. I believe this is going to be the best road for me to take also.

I have all the things that you do. I took 2 Byetta shots a day, 1 of Levemir, 100 mg of Januvia besides all the rest for the other things you mentioned. The day before my surgery my band Dr. took me off all Byetta, Then a couple weeks after I went, my Dr. brought me down to 50 Januvia. So now it is 40 of Levemir. Hopefully in a few more months I will be off all diabetes meds. High Blood pressure runs in my family so I don't mind that. My biggest accomplishment was getting off the Byetta. How I lived with those side effects for a year, I just don't know.

My Dr did tell me that Gastric Bypass will eliminate diabetes, but band may only reduce it. I am thinking positive. My goal is to be off all diabetes meds in 6 months. Had my band on July 1st and I have lost 42 lbs. Would do it again in a heartbeat. I did have to have a little surgery yesterday. My port was tilted and dr had to reposition it. He said 2 sutures on one side had come loose. No one knows why, but I will not exercise hard for 8 weeks. I will only walk and that is after a couple of weeks.

I am 5'7", began my journey at 252 lbs. BMI 38, and every co-morbidity except diabetes (high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, joint arthritis, GERD). I lost 10 pounds on the 6 month diet for insurance, was on liquid diet 3 weeks pre-op(supposed to be 2 but I caught a slight cold and they bumped my surgery a week, not enough time to stop and start again, so I stayed on it an extra week). Lost 25 more on the liquid pre-op, and the rest of the weight has come off since surgery. I mainly walk for exercise, plus Curves. I walk in a park that has a 2 mile nature trail, and I try to do twice around, sometimes 3. When I lose daylight during the week I will be doing Curves and Water Aerobics, with the park on weekends.

I can't address the diabetes issue, but after my followup blood work, I was able to stop 2 cholesterol meds (recheck in 6 mons), one blood pressure med (may lose the other one later on) and my GERD med. Will be having a sleep study to assess my apnea later this year. My cholesterol numbers were so good I don't think I was born with them that good! (Total 142,Triglycerides 53--used to be 300 or more even on meds--LDL 66, and HDL 65). I have gone from 22W size to currently 12-14. My knees still have arthritis, but they feel infinitely better than they did before.

It is definitely worth it. I have never managed to lose more than 20 on any other weight loss attempt.

The Byetta (yuck) That is why I'm on insulin. I had such pain in my abdominal area from the Byetta, I couldn't take it anymore. Talk about restrictive eating. Well I'm really getting excited about getting this done, knowing that there are people like me that have this working for them. Great News! Good Luck!

So it sounds like you've also had a positive journey Pat. Good Job I'm happy to hear you are off all those meds. They really can't be good for us. You're almost at goal - congrats! Keep it going!

Brettalyn,

I too was on Byetta but my stomach could not handle the meds. I think that dose of meds was my last straw. High hopes and yet again failure. I know the band will work, once the weight comes off, it will stay off. New me by summer.

Hi, I'm a female 5'7", 231 lbs, BMI 36, 44 yrs old, diabetic type II - metaforim and Lantus -insulin, high blood pressure (now under control w/med), high cholesterol, the works and sleep apnea.

I'm wondering if there are any banded persons out there that are in a similiar health situation and if they've been successful. If been going back and forth for a year on getting banded and I need some feedback. I know it's my decision and I read all the successes, but then I also read that the diabetes holds you back from losing weight and you don't get rid of the diabetes.

Always wondering, I guess I think too much!:lol:

Brettalyn:wink_smile:

Well guess what Brettalyn?

I'm 44, 5'7 and weighed 241 on August 25th. Today I am 214. I am also a diabetic. I was diagnosed two years ago. I never took medication though. I winged it for 2 years. However, I knew it would only get worse so I decided on lap band. I was VERY fortunate that my insurance paid for my surgery. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

It's all in the attitude!!!!!

Good luck.