Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many questions -

Sorry about the title of the thread! I just have so many questions! Can you have this done on a Friday -- be back at work on a Monday - I have a desk job. If a self pay - or even insurance pay - does your boss HAVE to know you are having this done? I would just as well they dont know it. Many issues there. Do all doctors that do the surgery also do the fills? I have not yet gone to a seminar to see what all they have to say. But am seriously thinking of this route. Done all the diets - gung ho for a while, lose some weight, but then when it slows down, I get frustrated - and gain it all back and some. Had both knees replaced in '03 - and the weight is NOT good for my new knees. Someone give me some feedback .. I appreciate it. Thanks - have a great day!

I was banded on Sept. 4 (a Thursday). I had planned to be back at work on Monday, but I felt too bad. I also had a hiatal hernia repair. I am not sure if that makes recovery worse, but I thought I would be up and at it by Monday. I went to work on Tuesday and felt terrible. This is the first week that I have actually felt pretty good since the surgery.

From what others said, I expected to feel fine on Monday. It definitely varies from person to person.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I hadn't planned on being out of commission for about a week.

I didn't tell anyone about my surgery until they saw me walking like a zombie. :tongue2: I just told them I had a hernia repair (which I did).

I guess anything is possible, but I must say I had surgery on Wed and by no way would I be ready to back to work that soon. I am still very sore and I am super tired. Tamara

I guess anything is possible, but I must say I had surgery on Wed and by no way would I be ready to back to work that soon. I am still very sore and I am super tired. Tamara

I agree with Tamara. There is no way that I could go back to work that soon feeling this way. Although this is usually done laproscopically (sp?), it is still a major surgery on a very sensitive area. You don't want to over do it.

clg62084...Your best bet is to pick a surgeon and attend a seminar. A good one is truly informative and will answer many of your questions and probably raise a few more. As to "does your boss have to know" I guess it would depend on what you do and so on but knee jerk I'd say no...that would be up to you. I agree it would be foolhardy to assume you could have surgery on Friday and be back at work on Monday. It would depend on how quickly you recover, how much pain you're in, how much anesthesia lingers and effects your decision making, how much responsibility you have, and so on...things beyond the scope of this board. Although this is just an "Average" a good rule of thumb is one week. That's something else the surgeon can answer at a seminar; each surgeon is different and how his/her patient base recovers depends in part on anesthesiology, how deft s/he is at placing band, what drugs are prescribed post op, and so on.

Call your insurance and find out if the procedure is covered and if so, find a surgeon in your network and go to a seminar. That's the best place to start!

From a different point of view.. I had my surgery on Sept 5th (Fri), and returned to work on the following Monday. Still a little sore, but I have a desk job, so I just had to make sure I got up a walked around 30-45 minutes. As far as telling your boss, no you do not have to tell anyone you are having it done. I work in a small environment, and I have yet to tell anyone here that I had it done.

To add to the mix, one week post op, and I was preparing for hurricane Ike. Which had me doing a little more than what I had expected to be doing at that point, but I was more than physically capable of doing the needed preparations.

Everyone is different, but I just wanted to let you know that yes it can be done.

I had my surgery on a Friday and work a desk job too. There is no way I would have been ready to go back to work on the following Monday. Based on what I read here and heard at my seminar, I requested Monday and Tuesday off tentatively but I actually didn't make it back to work until Thursday and even then only worked 1/2 days on Thursday and Friday. I was back to full days the second Monday. To be safe, I would prepare my employer by requesting a week, if you can go back sooner fine, but at least prepare for the possibility of being out longer.

Your medical business is yours. You don't have to tell anyone about the surgery. Just tell them you are having minor surgery, if they are nosey enough to ask for more details and you don't want to be blunt, tell them it is gallbladder surgery.

I would think that most bariatric surgeons can do a fill or at least have someone in their office to do fills.

Edited by Jodi_620

I don't work but there was no way I could do anything for the first week. Your in some pain and sore and want to sleep it off. Your bloated from the gas they pump into you to move your innards around. You are on only liquids and are weak as a kitten (at least I was). I felt a lot better about 3 weeks out. But then again I am 60 years old. Best to take at least a week off.

My surgery is scheduled for Monday November 24th. I work a desk job but it can be demanding as well. I am planning a two week recovery. Told my boss if I'm feeling up to it I'll sneak in here and there the second week but not to expect me lol. I figure by Monday December 8th I should be good to go for work. I'll work a couple weeks then I have a week off at Christmas. I work in a tax office so I should be all healed and feeling good by the time our really busy tax season starts in January. :tongue2:

I was banded on the 18th Thurs. My dr. kept me overnight (called a 23 hr stay). I went back to work for 1/2 day on Tues & Wed. Had a dr appt. Thurs did not go to work, but could of, cleaned dining room. Fri. I took off from work once again ,could of worked if needed. The only issue I had was the gas pain I am having in my left shoulder. I got up and walked around,help some. I was ready to leave @12:00 both days. Tip bring a pillow to sneeze into.

I would recommend that you go to a seminar first. Thats the first step. At the seminar I attended, fact sheets were distributed about all the local bariatric surgeons, contact info etc.

It is very important that you do your research prior to your surgery, especially if you feel there is a risk that you are going to be a self-pay candidate. There are many questions that I wish I would have asked my surgeon prior to the surgery as far as aftercare was concerned.

It is important that you have joined this forum, it will provide a lot of good info that I wish I would have had prior to my surgery.

I had my surgery on a Monday, I think that I could have went to work on the Friday of that week, but I was happy to stay at home. I don't see any reason why you would have to discuss it with your boss. If they ask just say its gallbladder or hernia surgery.