Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a little scared about the whole lapband idea

Hi from Sydney Australia,

I am going to my first information night next month and I am scared after reading mixed responses to the band on the internet. Some failed, some weight gain and some think its wonderful.... So what do you think? :tongue2:

Hi Mel, and welcome to LBT. I think with every type of weight loss surgery, no matter which forum or location you go to on the internet, you will find people who are thrilled with the choice they made, had problems with it, or wish they had gone a totally different route. Another thing that tends to happen is a lot of the people who have no problems and are very happy with their choice tend to not post on the internet as much because everything is great, they have no problems and are out living their lives.

What is important is that you do your research. Way the pros and cons of all the availabe options, talk to your doctor and make an informed choice on what is best for you.

With the band, you have to work at it harder than with most wls. The band is a tool, but once you commit to getting it, you also have to be willing to commit to a whole new way of eating, to changing to a healthier diet and to exercising. It takes all of that to be successful with the band. With all that being said, I love my band and am very pleased with it.

Best of luck to you. Please let us know if you have any questions, we are all here to help and support one another.

I think one way to get an inkling of whether the band will suit you or not, is to look at your eating patterns. The band restricts you from eating large volumes of food. If your weight problem is more caused by over eating than by eating junk food and high fat/high sugar, then you are more likely to adjust well to it and be successful. If your weight gain is more from too much chocolate, the band will still help control your hunger pangs but you must supply the willpower to eat healthy food instead of indulging your sweet tooth. Unfortunately, the band doesn't stop you eating crisps and icecream :tongue2:

Really take stock of what you eat and compare the meal sizes and frequency, including Snacks, with that of your skinniest friends. I've always known that my problem wasn't that I ate a lot of junk, I ate some sure, but not a lot. My problem was that I ate really huge meals and did absolutely no exercise. The point came home to me clearly after being banded when one night I was eating dinner with a couple of very slim girls from work. I was all proud of myself for my tiny portion and wondered if they'd say anything, when I realised that their portions were just as tiny - they ate like that all the time. What I had considered normal was the same portion that a large man doing heavy physical work would eat (and probably still gain weight on).

The band works if you work with it. It has freed me from the hunger daemon and allowed me to make healthy choices because I am no longer compelled by a frenzied desire to wolf down everything in sight. Best thing I ever did for myself.

Everyone is so different. If you read the statistics, most people experience significant weight loss with any form of surgery. Most people who don't tend to be more vocal . . . because when you are having issues you tend to do more research and seek answers.

You may notice common themes in people who don't find success.

* Eating slider foods, ice cream, sweets, chips that don't stay in your pouch.

* Failure to eat healthy, balanced Proteins, fruits and veggies as the primary nutrition sources.

* Grazing throughout the day instead of focusing on primary meals.

* Lack of incorporating moderate exercise 3 times plus a week.

* Failure to take personal responsibility for your health and well-being. Not being really ready to commit to a lifestyle change.

* Failure to address the issues of emotional eating/food addiction that may have driven people to obesity in the first place.

* Lack of adequate support systems through doctors offices, support groups, friends & family or online support.

Are you really ready to do this . . . if so, you should be able to start looking at common reasons why people have success or failure and develop a strategy for how you will set your life up in such a way to encourage success or combat issues.

The first step is to look inside yourself to help determine the reasons why you have a weight issue. Doing a lot of research also helps. Try to analyze people who are succeeding or failing on your own to develop traits that will gear you more for success than failure.