Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, my surgery is scheduled for 10/14. My boss, who is also my DOCTOR is aware of this and very supportive, or so I THOUGHT. One of the nurses quit so we will be short staffed when I return from my recovery. This will mean that I will have a lot of extra work when I get back until we get the new person trained. However, I met with the doctor to tell her that I'm concerned about excess stress after my surgery as I don't want extra reasons to want to eat. I also told her that I want to keep my current schedule so that I can continue to get out at 3pm on Tues and Thurs and go to work out with my trainer. She said that she feels that it would be better for me to work until 5 as this will keep my mind off of eating and work out after. We went round and round about this, but she never confirmed that I could or couldn't do this. I met with my therapist today and we decided that I have to lay down the law and tell my boss that I need to keep those hours for my health. It just makes me soooooooo angry that I have to deal with this before my surgery. Fortunately, I can afford to not work, but this makes things very tense for me right now. I don't want to go back into a toxic environment for me after my surgery. I know that I can't make everything in my life perfect for after the surgery, but I sure don't want to have any extra stress!

Apparently working for your doctor is a double edged sword. She knows about the recovery times and such. She isn't being concerned for you as HER patient. Instead, she is only thinking as your employer. Don't let her bully you.

I was to be banded in May, then there was a retirement buyout, my co-worker retired on short notice and I was left to pick up the slack. I actually work where I was banded and my boss told me, "you know you can't have your surgery until the new girl is trained in right?" With FMLA she really couldn't mandate that, but I had already decided to be helpful and delay my banding. I was was pretty upset as my life was basically flung into total chaos from working outside my schedule and tons of overtime. I really made some extreme sacrifices that most people would be very unwilling to make. But, I was banded at the end of July and it's all Water under the bridge now. You just got to believe its all going to work out.

I totally understand! I work for a doctors office and there is no one to cover for me the week after my surgery. I put my foot down! I am taking the week after my surgery off!!!! My health is too important to pop back into work and get to feeling bad. You try so hard to get approved for this. 1 year I've been working on this! I am doing it! Cover person or no cover person! Stick to your guns!!!!!!

She calls me "her rock" because I am basically her b**** and do whatever she wants. Well, I am putting my foot down. If I have to quit, I have to quit. I don't want to, but she has made it clear that she just cares about her practice. I'm going to talk to another doc about it today and if that doesn't work, I will probably give my two weeks. My goal is to be healthy right now so for once I'm putting myself ahead of everything else. THanks for the support!

She calls me "her rock" because I am basically her b**** and do whatever she wants. Well, I am putting my foot down. If I have to quit, I have to quit. I don't want to, but she has made it clear that she just cares about her practice. I'm going to talk to another doc about it today and if that doesn't work, I will probably give my two weeks. My goal is to be healthy right now so for once I'm putting myself ahead of everything else. THanks for the support!

That is good that you are putting your foot down. Who would ever think that a doctor that took the oath to first do no harm, would be willing to let you possibly harm yourself by going to back to a demanding job too soon! Since you are her rock, she should be concerned enough to want you back full strength. I hope everything works out well for you.

Hey travelinsnorkel,

I too work for a doctor as an office manager I have a sit down job as alot of us do at doc's so it wont be too bad I am having surgery on the 8th of October and I will be off that Thursday and I may or may not be back on the 10th it just depends i told them how i feel . He isnt pushing the issue though I will have some one cover so I am ok should I have to take off that Friday , needless to say he would rather me come back and able to give him 100% verses me come back to soon and me not be able to do even 10% so thank god for him.

I wish u well and hope everything works for u, I know jobs can be hard to find too so good luck on what ever it is that u decide to do.

Becky