Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live in San Diego and I'm researching Dr. Ortiz. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much this will cost. I have insurance, but of course it won't cover me so I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to do this on my own?

Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana MX? If you're referring to him, his cost is anywhere between $5500 and $8000, depending on what kind of specials they are running at the time. I researched him before finally deciding on Dr. K.

If you are going the self-pay route, may I strongly suggest you stay in the US to have your surgery? You can have your surgery done by Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver, CO for $9950, not including airfare and hotel. That is a super deal when compared to other doctors in the US. Dr. K only does self-pay patients, and he keeps his costs as low as possible because he feels so strongly about keeping people in the US for surgery. Having surgery in Mexico can be risky, and you have no recourse if something did happen to go wrong.

Dr. K's website is here: www.lapbandrockies.com

My lap band appointment with him is on November 5th!! I've already had my phone consult, and he's a very friendly doctor who was more than willing to answer my 100 questions. If you'd like more opinions about Dr. K, you can consult the thread in the Doctors forum. We are a bunch of chatty ladies, so the thread is always at the top. :girl_hug: Good luck!!!

Dr Ortiz usually runs around $8000, but go ahead and call his office and see what they say. As you live in San Diego and it is a half hour trip to his clinic, I would say you have made a great decision. His clinic is well known for good aftercare if you can get to them easily, and you can in your location.

By the way, don't be sure until you check that your insurance will not cover you in Mexico. My husband and I were banded last October, and our federal retirees' Blue Cross Blue Shield paid $7900 of his $8000 fee and $7200 of mine. Insurance companies who cover bariatric surgery may well tell you that they WILL cover you in Mexico; after all, if you go to a US surgeon they will have to pay way more. And if you go to a west coast surgeon, chances are Dr Ortiz or one of his Mexican colleagues proctored your US surgeon in his lap band training.

I don't know why someone would suggest traveling all the way to Colorado with no readily available aftercare, to someone who lives 15 miles from Tijuana.

I don't know why someone would suggest traveling all the way to Colorado with no readily available aftercare, to someone who lives 15 miles from Tijuana.

Well, because surgery is Mexico is a scary idea. I've never heard of insurance covering someone who has surgery outside the country, but as you said, it can happen.

But, let's say her insurance doesn't cover her for surgery in Mexico. If she wants the band, she must self-pay. If she travels to Mexico for surgery that is cheaper, chances are that she'll be fine. However, what if she isn't? What if she's that 1% that has complications? What if she gets an infection? What if her port flips? There are so many things that could potentially go wrong. Granted, it's a small chance for each of them - but they do happen. If she has surgery in Mexico and has complications, she has absolutely no avenue for recourse. She can't sue her doctor if anything serious happens. He isn't liable for anything.

Getting medical care for something that her doctor in Mexico screwed up is going to be coming out of her pocket. That is why I suggested staying in the US and traveling to Dr. K in CO. Sure, it's a farther trip, but if he screws up then he's liable. And, even if insurance didn't cover your surgery, I guarantee you that insurance would cover you should you have complications - as long as the surgery was performed in the US.

Also, with regards to aftercare. Dr. K offers free fills for the first 3 months after surgery, and $15 fills thereafter - as long as you want. You could get 20 fills and unfills from Dr. K over the course of 10 years and it would still only cost you $15 per trip. Sure, you have to fly to CO to get the fill, but that's small apples in comparison to the cost of fills at local doctors. Also, Fill Centers USA has locations across the country and will do your fills regardless of where you get the band. I'm not sure of their cost, but I've heard it's in the realm of $150-200.

Edited by jmegirl

Dr Ortiz does fills with fluoro for $100. I am in San Diego right now; I'm about to drive 8 miles down the road, walk across the border and take a $5, 5 minute cab ride to Dr O's clinic. My appointment is at 2:00; I should be back here by 3:30 at the latest. I can call him or his assistant surgeon anytime; the surgeons themselves will return my call within the afternoon. They give out their cell phone numbers so you can get through to them easily.

My banding experience at OCC was the best medical experience I have ever had. I've had three surgeries in the US plus had two babies; OCC made me feel much better cared for than any US hospital has.

And good luck suing your doctor if anything goes wrong. I'd rather have a doctor who is going to take care of me well to begin with than have to rely on a malpractice suit to get good results.

I don't advocate everyone to go to Mexico; aftercare access is important. But this is a person who can get to Dr O's clinic in a matter of minutes. I know a lot of Dr O's patients who fly back to him for every fill from much farther away, because they have such faith in the good treatment they get at his clinic. This person has easy access to his clinic. Dr Ortiz is considered a leader in the lap band field. His price includes pickup at the airport, hotel for three nights for the patient and guests, all transportation between the hotel and the clinic, and transportation back to the airport. Sounds like a wonderful deal to me.

I am going to Dr. Ortiz for my banding on 10-31. His cost is $7950.00 right now. They say it is on special but it seems to be the norm. I have researched my hind end off and I feel 1000% confident in my decision! Good luck to you! I am super excited!

Whoops, got my date wrong..it's 10-30. And Snowbird I see your posts on here often and I love to read them. You've "been there and done that" and I have already learned a lot from you!!

I have to agree that there is nothing inherently inferior about the Mexican surgeries. The facilities are very nice from what I hear and the doctors are MORE experienced than any of the American ones including Dr. K.

As far as medical insurance goes, I've not heard of anyone ever getting rejected for any necessary procedure just because you had surgery outside the US in the past. I travel all over the world and I have medical insurance everywhere, India, China, Japan, Germany, etc.

IMO the most important thing is to have confidence in your doctor. There is also a lot to be said for using one locally, if that is an option.