Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5K anyone?

I use to enjoy jogging years ago. In fact I ran a half marathon once and after it I stopped running and kept gaing weight. Anyway, I want to get back to run/walking. I recently found a podcast called Podrunner Intervals which will help me train for a 5K by run/walking in nine weeks.

Check out my thread in the fitness and exercise for forum for more information. Perhaps other Auguest All-Stars would be interested as well.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f81/anyone-up-training-their-1st-5k-76766/#post1007101

i JUST joined a beginner's running class this past week. our first class was this past saturday. the trainer would like us to run a 5k by the first weekend in november!

i ran/walked a mile yesterday and my lower body hurts... but it's a GOOD hurt! yesterday while running i thought to myself "well, i'm not coming back next week" but i think i will!

i'm totally out of shape but i really want to accomplish this one thing... stick to the training and run my very first race!!

I'm in for the C25K. I doubt that I can do it in 9 weeks, so I'll reserve the right to run one by Christmas instead. I'm an official couch potato, so I think that running for 60 seconds more than once let alone 8 times isn't realistic at this point. It's likely that I'll have to work for a few weeks before I can even get to the Week 1 plan.

I'll have to go poking around online to find out what kind of Holiday races are going on around here. Maybe if I go ahead and have an event to aim for it will help.

Thanks dwrd for trying to kick into gear and for inviting us along!

p.s. How's the Mrs. doing?

UPDATE:

Here's a December 14th race that I'll aim for. It's in Chapel Hill, which is only about 30 minutes away.

Edited by Lanakila
Add race info

i'm SO glad i found this thread. after my first running class this past saturday i really thought i wasn't going to go back since i was the last person to finish the mile run/walk but after reading every one elses dedication makes me want to try harder too!

like you, lanakila, i might not make the 5k in eight or nine weeks but i hope to be close!

Maybe I will get motivated. We have the Jinlge Bell run in December, I don't know if I could be ready, but I am willing to try!

Thanks for the motivation! I need something that will make me get up off my butt and get moving!

Hey I am currently involved with Austin Fit -- a marathon training program. Saturday morning I did 7 miles. I haven't been banded YET but I am hopeful it will be soon. I thought no time better than the present, hopefully it will help my recovery and the journey will be a bit easier since I have already started exercising :-)

stacyiam

I glad to hear others are getting into exercises, especially run/walking. I checked out the couch to 5k program and a music podcast by a Robert U. (Sorry I don't remeber his last name.) Podrunner Intervals is very similar, but in my opinion it's a little more professionally done.

Podrunner Intervals is also a 9 week program with a graduation run during the 10th week. I'm not in any rush to schedule a 5k in 9 weeks. I'm going to take each week as it comes and if I need to repeat a week's workout then that's what I'll do. I found some Turkey Trot races around Thanksgiving, but they may be too soon. I think I'm going to enter in the December Jingle Bell run if it's still around. I actually did this race about 6 years ago.

The Mrs. is doing well. I bought her an ipod for her b-day and put podrunner intervals on it. I go her to go to the gym with me and now she is starting to run/walk some too. She is even talking about running a 5K sometime as well.

To everyone - keep up the exercising. Whether you use podrunner or not, keep it fun. The more fun you have exercising the more you will want to exercise and stick with a program.

So...turns out that I cannot run for 60 seconds more than about 3 times during the 20 minutes, and that doesn't mean 3 intervals in a row either. :) That's ok with me! I'll be looking forward to 4 some time this week.

Slowly, but surely, I'll be gettin' there :tt2:

Lanakila

lanakila... don't worry about it. go at your own pace. it's awesome that you're out there TRYING at least which is more than a lot of people!! i have a 5k scheduled for 11/22/08 and i can only run 1/4 of a mile right now! i'm okay with that because i know in time i'll be able to run further and faster!

I agree...Don't worthy about it. There is no rule that you have to run 2 times or ten times during a 20 minute period. The fact that you are moving is the important part. And it doesn't matter how fast you go either. Enjoy the fact that you are doing more then what you were doing before you were banded.

Okay, I started this past week. I have done two runs and have my third tomorrow. I am feeling pretty good and surprised at how much easier it is to run versus a year ago.

I like the program, it has been pretty easy to keep going for 1 minute. The only challenge has been the hills. We don't live in a flat area so I have had to run a couple of up hill sections - man, it is very challenging! I still have been able to push through.

I am excited about this new choice I have made. My husband has been running again and I think it would be nice to have something that we can do together! Of course, he is way ahead of me, but he did say he would run the 5k with me!

Congratulations Krtork on starting. Remember there is no need for speed. Take your time and enjoy each workout. With each run you will get stronger and faster. Also move on to the next week of running when YOU feel ready. You do not want to injure yourself. Keep it up!! I'm sure your husband can't wait to have a new running partner.

When I saw you all posting to this I really wanted to join but felt I had to work up to doing anything like this. I have been doing 45 min sessions of step aerobics 2 times a week and walking a mile 3 times a week. I have been doing this routine for a month. So this morning I decided to just get out there and do it. I went to the track and walked/jogged 2 miles. It felt great! I just wish I had someone to keep me accountable. Anybody want an online workout partner?

Woo Hoo! I have been trying for almost two weeks to get through the second day of week 5 (the two 8 min runs), I DID IT! Yeah! It felt so good to bust through.

I was able to do the 3 fives no problem, the two 8s were killing me. I could do the first 8min but not get through the 2nd. I am so glad to be over that hurdle, I was determined to get it out of the way today! Of course I am going to redo this day again on Saturday (when I get home) it might not be so easy at the higher elevation, but I will see!

Just had to share.

Congrats! I am still struggling getting my rear out there. I still manage to go to aerobics and hit the machines at the gym, it's just so hard to get outside to do the run/walk. I LOATHE treadmills!