Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Me If This Makes Sense

I am on stage 2-3. I am allowed sugarfree pudding, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, fudgsicles, cream Soup, soupy grits, yogurt, and cottage cheese.

So, so far I have chosen the yogurt and cottage cheese. However, a little variety is nice.

I have issues with carbs so I am struggling mentally about the above foods that are carbs. (which is most of them)

I have 3-4 weeks total of pre-op and post-op and I rid my body of all that carb addiction.

But now during these phases I am suppose to consume the above.

Does that make sense? I feel like I gave up the carb addiction.

TIA

I agree it seemed that when I got to the mushie stage I was back to eating so many of the things I was trying to avoid before!!

I spoke with my surgeon who allowed me to puree vegetables---I had heard of others using baby food, but to me that is waaaay too bland, so I pureed vegetable Soups and home cooked food, and made it through. While not OD'ing on the carb laden things I was trying to learn to avoid!

You are not alone in thinking there is a screw loose in the logic!!!!

Hang in there, soon you will be able to adjust your diet in a more permanent fashion, and eat for overall health not just the seating of the band health. For now, it is WELL worth eating as directed and letting your band set in just right.

Kat

I guess I kind of skipped that stage. I went to soft scrambled eggs, and chicken salad and tuna salad that I made by running the meat through the food processor. The carbs I ate during that stage were refried Beans with cheddar and fat free sour cream.

The whole point of eating the mushy foods during that stage is to let your band continue to heal - which could take up to 6mos to fully heal. The first month is critical though, so you have to eat the mushies to make sure you don't hurt yourself or your band. Unfortunately, it just so happens that almost all of the mushies are full of carbs. I agree, it sucks - but would you rather eat carb-filled mushies and make sure your band heals, or push it with something that isn't necessarily mushy but is low-carb? Personally, I'd stick to the mushies, carbs or not, until I'm healed - then I'd get back to the low-carb thing.

Also - if you've got a food processor, mashed cauliflower is a FANTASTIC alternative to mashed potatoes. Use a little garlic...mmm mmm good. :rolleyes2:

The whole point of eating the mushy foods during that stage is to let your band continue to heal - which could take up to 6mos to fully heal. The first month is critical though, so you have to eat the mushies to make sure you don't hurt yourself or your band. Unfortunately, it just so happens that almost all of the mushies are full of carbs. I agree, it sucks - but would you rather eat carb-filled mushies and make sure your band heals, or push it with something that isn't necessarily mushy but is low-carb? Personally, I'd stick to the mushies, carbs or not, until I'm healed - then I'd get back to the low-carb thing.

Also - if you've got a food processor, mashed cauliflower is a FANTASTIC alternative to mashed potatoes. Use a little garlic...mmm mmm good. :rolleyes2:

I totally agree with what you said. I'll just have to tell myself that it's temporary.

The mashed cauliflower sounds good but I can't have veggies for another two weeks.

I totally agree with what you said. I'll just have to tell myself that it's temporary.

The mashed cauliflower sounds good but I can't have veggies for another two weeks.

I'm with you 100% about not wanting to eat carbs. For the last two years I have avoided them like the plague. Alas, we must do what's right for our bodies. This too shall pass!

No veggies? Wow, that seems a bit extreme. If you've pureed the heck out of it, I don't see why it would hurt you. Seriously, with a food processor it becomes the consistency of mashed potatoes, and I was under the impression that the mushies phase was just to help you heal your band, and had nothing to do with what you were eating, just the consistency of what you were eating. Personally, I'd check with my doctor and ask if pureed food is OK, even if it's veggies. But that's just because I'm stubborn and ask a lot of questions. :rolleyes2:

The foods above are on the list because this is a healing stage. If you lose weight before your first fill it's a plus. when you introduce solids to your diet you should be making better food choices. their is alot of foods that aren't bad for you that you can have on the mushie stage also, but it's up to you the ones you choose to go with. there's a lot of threads on here with good alturnitives.(sp?) good luck

their is alot of foods that aren't bad for you that you can have on the mushie stage also, but it's up to you the ones you choose to go with.

Actually those are the only ones besides Protein shakes that I am allowed.

My dr. gave me an information sheet that tells you what to eat each week for 6 weeks. I don't add anything that is not on there.

I still vote for mashed cauliflower. I'll call your doctor and bug him if you want! :girl_hug: No pureed veggies just sounds cruel. You need your vitamins!

I don't avoid carbs, just certain types of carbs. Some are processed better than others. If you don't allow for some carbs you'll end up with a terrible Constipation problem. You don't want that. I eat sweet potatoes instead of white, brown rice instead of white, 100% whole wheat products instead of regular breads and pastas, etc. It's the glycemic index thing. I only eat root vegetables like beets, carrots, etc. on occasion. I eat all fruit, but limit the ones that are higher in sugar like pineapple and grapes. I lean more towards melon and strawberries. If I don't, I have serious bowel problems, and I didn't do this to be unhealthy. I did it to be healthy. It's all a "quality of life" thing for me.

Are you sure that what the Dr. gave you isn't a guideline, with suggestions? I'm with jmegirl, mashed cauliflower is better for you than mashed potatoes, with similar consistency (spelling?)

When I was in this stage I also added a bit of marinara sauce to the cottage cheese or low sugar strawberry jam to add some variety. I like cottage cheese, but it can get boring just plain.

Are you sure that what the Dr. gave you isn't a guideline, with suggestions?

I called the Dr.'s office just to be sure. I was told the reasoning behind it is, some vegetables can cause gas, upset stomach and it is best to slowly introduce foods. I was give the example of someone eating broccoli and it caused distressed to a patient. She said no veggies until later and definitely no fiberous veggies.

I only have a week to go so that's not to bad now.

I called the Dr.'s office just to be sure. I was told the reasoning behind it is, some vegetables can cause gas, upset stomach and it is best to slowly introduce foods. I was give the example of someone eating broccoli and it caused distressed to a patient. She said no veggies until later and definitely no fiberous veggies.

I only have a week to go so that's not to bad now.

Well, that certainly makes sense. I've read lots of threads on this message board about people with severe gas, so bad that is gives them back and shoulder pain. Good call with avoiding the gas! :tongue2: