Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UGI Series/How Long?

Hi All:

I have to go for my upper GI series tomorrow. Can anyone tell me about how long this procedure takes?

Thanks so much!

Hi All:

I have to go for my upper GI series tomorrow. Can anyone tell me about how long this procedure takes?

Thanks so much!

I just had mines last week. It took about 30 minutes once I was actually called back. It took longer to get through all of the paperwork than it did the procedure. Be prepared, the barium is awfully thick.:confused:

It took me longer than most, because I kept trying to throw the barium back up. I kept gagging. The staff were so wonderful and patient. Fortunately, I made it through it. It probably takes around 30-45 min. It was also a lot of rolling around. I found that a little awkward. Roll on your left side, lie on your stomach, roll back to your left side, roll onto your back... repeat this a bazillion times! Well, it actually was probably only about 4 times.:confused:

I had mine on Monday and it took about 30 minutes. I agree the first cup of barium is thick, then the fizzy poprocks if your having yours with air and then a thin cup of barium. Also, alot of rolling to mix it all up. You cant belch you have to swallow all your air. It was quick and painless. Good luck!!!!

It took me longer than most, because I kept trying to throw the barium back up. I kept gagging. The staff were so wonderful and patient. Fortunately, I made it through it. It probably takes around 30-45 min. It was also a lot of rolling around. I found that a little awkward. Roll on your left side, lie on your stomach, roll back to your left side, roll onto your back... repeat this a bazillion times! Well, it actually was probably only about 4 times.:confused:

I never actually retched, but I felt like it. I told them I wanted to hurl... they gave me the barf bag and stepped away VERY quickly.:wub: My radiologist didn't move that fast at any other time.

Thanks for the responses (you too, kmytime2008)! Now I at least know what to expect! Sounds like its going to be lots of fun:thumbdown:

Have a great day all!

I had mine today! It was quick and painless. I had an upset tummy the rest of the day, but I kept drinking Water and tea and it finally got all the barium out. Don't be surprised if you have a few loose stools after. I know TMI, but its true! Good luck, just remember it is all part of the journey. kelli

Hi KJHack:

I had mine yesterday as well....not so bad! The only thing that stunk was that the woman who was doing the test had a problem with one position and couldn't get a good x-ray....so the doctor came in, I had to drink the barium for a THIRD time as he watch the barium go down my esophogus on the screen....finally, he could see that my esophogus was working properly! He said I had slight acid reflux but everything else looked good! YIPEEEE! Now, all I have left to do is attend the seminar and wait for approval....WHOOOOAAAA!!!!!!

Thanks for responding!

AWESOME! I feel so much better now that that is over! I am done with all my pre-op stuff now too. Had my labs, chest xray and ekg yesterday too. So come on Oct 22!!!!! Hurry up and get here! Good luck to all of you! Hope we all are looking hot this time next year!