Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 8/28 in Monterrey

Guest magiwicken

Guest magiwicken

Hello to all from a newbie!

It will be five weeks on Oct. 2 since my banding. I lost 20 pounds during the first three weeks, but I seem to have been at a standstill for the last 10 days or so. Is this normal? Does this mean I need to get a fill?

I am able to eat anything I want. I get full very quickly. I am sticking to the recommendations from my Dr. (Dr. Sanchez). It doesn't seem like I'm eating very much, but the weight loss has stopped. I am trying to stay with high-Protein, something like a Zone diet. Atkins is too severe for me.

I must say that the procedure was easy, I had some pain afterward, but on the second day post-op I was schlepping long distances through airports, carrying 15-20 pounds. I have had no vomiting or other ill effects. After about a week post op, my energy surged and I have felt good ever since. I walk a lot and use a rebounder (no jumping, just gentle bouncing). So everything is great except I want to be losing a couple of pounds a week.

I hope someone out there can talk to me! I'm very much alone in this endeavor!

Thanks!

:) I wish I could help you but I haven't been banded yet.

I am confident you will find all of the information you will need on this forum! I have only been a member a few days and I already feel like I'm banded and ready to go! LOL!

Good luck with you results!

Nichole

Hi Maggie!

I too was banded by Dr. Sanchez, but on August 6. And, I too want to eat all the time but I have still managed (thankfully) to maintain my 13lb loss. I have been waiting for my PCP to give me a fill (she's trying to start up a second office to do this). I have not lost anything in weeks. (But, I'm not exercising). And since muscle weighs more than fat that may be why you are not losing actual weight, but will lose inches. Also, I found that even though I thought I was gaining back (my scales are crap) I was happily surprised to find out that I didn't when I went to the Dr. for Strep throat. Have you tried calling Anne Marie to ask her what she thinks. Maybe you'll need a fill soon--since it's been 4 weeks. I felt like I needed one after 2 weeks! And it's been several (7) since I had surgery and I'm still waiting for my fill. One more thing, don't forget to drink Water. It's supposed to flush out fat (?) I drink a lot of Crystal Light and I eat sugar free popcycles to keep me hydrated and feeling full.

Good luck and don't give up!

:)

20 pounds in five weeks is a lot of weight. Concentrate more on how you feel instead of what the scale says. Are you feeling hungry between meals? Do you feel like you are eating more than you should? If so, and you are following the basic rules (no drinking with eating, eating real food and not soft foods, Protein first, then veggies, then carbs) and the scale isn't moving, then it's probably time for a fill.

Try and be realistic about the weight loss. Remember that a pound of fat takes a 3500 calorie deficit - a body can only lose weight so fast. Go more by how you feel, and then look at the scale.

:o Congratulations Maggie

I agree with Donali, Karen, and Nicole. Also its what you eat!

I too had my band sugery by Dr. Sanchez on 8/14/03 isn't he a wonderful man!

I was simular to you, 10 lbs dropped the first week, then weight- loss stoped after 4 weeks and was eating endlessly.

I had my first fill last week(you can read about it on "fill" forum) and at that time the fill doctor did stress what you eat(protin first, veges..), not to drink with meals or after for an hour, and to excersize.

Since last week I did notice more restriction I'm getting full sooner, so I'm eating less. But I'v only lost 2 lbs. People are remarking that I look thiner, I'm loosing inches.

I keep telling myself my band is just a tool, I have got to make it work and its going to take time.

I suggest you look into finding a fill doctor, 6 to 8 weeks is a good time to consider your first fill.

Did you get a Lap11 or an AMI?

Good luck

Vera

Guest magiwicken

Thank you all for your replies to my concerns! It is great to be in touch with those who have been there and done it.

I am working on scheduling a fill, being patient, focusing on feeling good, in general taking your advice to heart. It is very good advice. I need to drink more Water, that's for sure.

Protein, veggies, carbs. I'll remember that. That bit of advice wasn't in my post-op instructions.

Dr. Sanchez is a wonderful person and doctor. I truly love him.

I don't think my initial diet and the recommendations for the first four weeks were well thought out for a diabetic. I had to add cottage cheese after the first week in order to get my sugar under control. There was little or no protein in the liquid recommendations, which included SlimFast, a product that is loaded with sugar. I used a high-protein, low-carb, no sugar liquid instead. Did anyone else notice that?

I use Designer whey protien mix from GNC every morning then about 9 am some cottage cheese too.. slimfast is loaded with sugar, I won't touch the stuff.

The food forum has alot of info.

I agree, besides the liquid stage there wasn't much instructions on what to eat.

Vera

I have suggestion. When I was doing the Sugar Busters diet, I found a Protein bar that was extremely low in carbs at GNC....and the best thing about it??? It tasted like a real SNICKERS bar!!! The sugar content is only 3 grams per bar and the bars are huge! You could spilt one in half and use it for a meal. THe name of the bar is ODDESSY. The flavor is CARAMEL NUT. They are awesome! Hope this helps.

Nichole

P. S Even though I no longer do the Sugar Buster diet to the t...I still buy the bars, especially during that time of the month. ...(Helps with the chocolate cravings I often have).

Guest pattiliss

Hi,

You mentioned that sanchez was your doctor... Have you called him? Does his office call you and check on you? Have they been keeping up with your progress, or do they just go on to the nest patient? Just some food for thought. I think follow up is as important as the surgery. Keep up the good work

I wasn't done...oops

Id like to know how many Doctors call without follow-up appt.s

Vera:confused: