Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Options?

So at this point I'm a little disheartened. I had the seminar and I knew going into all this that my insurance covers no part of the lapband. So I know that I have to be self pay. I contacted the financial counselors that go along with the program that I am doing and they gave me some options. Basically I was told that it has to be all up front payment or they do a med card which is basically a credit card that I put all this on. The surgery alone is going to be $16,000, then the anesthesiologist is another $5000 and then something else but i can't remember. I for one don't know that i want that much on a credit card b/c im sure the interest is outrageous and it would take me a liftime to pay it off. :smile: Does anyone know of any other options for financing? Thanks for your help.

Have a look through the Doctors and Hospitals - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum forum for info on doctors near you. I know there's a whole massive thread on Dr Kershenbaum (sp?) who I think does it for under $10K. There are quite a few other ads/links on the right panels that advertise under $10K for the whole package, so paying over $21K seems awfully expensive. If nothing else, Mexico would be cheaper, including the airfares and accommodation. There are a LOT of threads about choosing a Mexican doctor and many of them get excellent reports. Do some digging on this site and good luck!

Hello there, I am in the same boat! What I have found out is that alot of people are pulling equity out of there home (2nd mortgage if you will) for this procedure. And thats assuming you are a home owner. They said the interest rate is better than other credit options. Other than that, it looks like saving.. Which could take a lifetime also..yikes!

I am also from Kansas and researched the options in the state that ranged from 17,000-23,000. I am also self pay. I was banded on 10-Sept-08 in Denver by Dr. Kirshenbaum for 9950. You will also have to figure hotel costs and travel costs if you chose to go out of state. There is still a big difference even with the additional expenses. Do you want to travel to Denver for your fills? This was my choice. After my initial fills, I will have to consider the cost of travel and hotel vs the out of pocket the fills will cost me in Kansas if I can find a doctor to do the fills. Do your research. It needs to be a choice you are comfortable with.

I too am a self pay and after months of research, decided Mexico was the way to go. My surgery is next month and includes 1 night hotel and 2 nights in the hospital. When I add in the airfare to San Diego, my cost was only $7500.

Good luck in your search!:smile:

my advice is dont do it diving into debt will increase your stress level which can increase your hunger sabatoge any effort to lose weight the lapband is only a tool not a cure try losing without the band worth 1 more sincere effort.Lots of us are in lapband hell can't eat much and not losing weight still MUST change poor eating habits try try again save you money sincerely, dr. stan

Ifluty -

Do you know someone that has had lapband surgery and their company insurance paid for it? If so, try to get a job at that company. Even if you have to take a pay cut, in the long run you'll be ahead rather than putting yourself in debt to have the surgery.

Another option is take a loan out on your 401K. Interest rate is very low, you're very young, so you still have time to make up for it. But if you do that - find a bariatric doctor in your area that does a package deal where everything is included in one price.

I'm a self pay because my company has a total exclusion with our insurance company for bariatric surgery. My doc does a package deal that includes surgery, hosptial, anesthesiologist, dietician and 1 year of fills for $15K. I took part out of my 401K and then also took a loan. I'll have the loan part paid back within 12 months. The 401K is no big deal for me because it wasn't that big anyway. It's my husband's 401K that we'll be counting on during retirement in about 5 years.

I agree with what someone said in a prior response. DON'T put yourself in debt to have the surgery.

Best of luck to you. I know how frustrating it is.

Some of the makers of the different band types also offer financing. Also, do more research. Most of the doctors that I spoke to give a cheaper price for self pay patients. Good luck to you.