Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started

Hi! My name is Carrie and I just made my first appointment for a consult with my PCP. I have been tossing around the idea of having lap band surgery done for a year or 2 but each time talked myself out of it. I have a hard time admitting I need, and asking for, help. Just calling the PCP was a big step for me. I have so many questions for all of you and look forward to hearing real experiences from those who have been there.

So long as I am posting, I really want to know about drinking soda after surgery. I am a Diet Coke-aholic and the thought of not being able to have it makes me extremely nervous (seriously, this would be enough for me to scrap the whole idea). The only time in my adult life I was able to be even remotely caffeine-free was during both of me pregnancies and even then I had a full-leaded Diet Coke with Breakfast and then drank de-caf Diet Coke the rest of the day. If I have to give that up I think it could make for a very long de-tox for me, and my family.

Hi, I am not banded yet, but can tell you what they say about carbonation, it is a no go after surgery. The bubbles strech out your new pouch. Different Dr. have different oppions on caffine, but sodas a no all the way around as far as I have seen. I was a big soda drinker myself but due to some kidney stones I weaned my self off. Every now and then I sneak a sip, but try hard to stay away. Don't let the soda thing stop you, you can overcome it. If you really think about what is soda and what it does to your insides. ( Ok so I don't really know what it does to your insides and my husband drinks nothing but diet soda and beer, and he seems ok.lol) I am sure others will post with more scientific information. What ever you decide to do good luck. This is an awsome site to ask quetions and vent or what ever else you need to do. It will help you make the right decision for yourself.

Hi carrie,

i am 2 wks post op and have been told no soda unless you let it go flat. So whats the sense in that? However, i have not missed it. In fact, i love losing the weight more than missing the soda.

I am so excited at the thought of losing weight, feeling great and getting healthy. However I am so afraid of the awful caffeine headaches I am sure to get if I have to go without Diet Coke after surgery. I guess now is as good a time as any to think about weaning myself off so I have plenty of time to get used to it. Ugh!

Hey DitkaDog,

I'm also a Diet Coke fan, but I've switched over to Decaf for every other one in order to 'wean' myself off of the caffeine prior to my surgery (which I hope will be scheduled soon).

Caffeine is a diuretic (I'm sure you know this) and Water is so important for us both pre and post-surgery that we can't afford to have anything remove Water from our systems.

Start now to wean yourself down from the caffeine and when your surgery is scheduled, you'll be ready! You've taken a great, proactive step by scheduling the consult with your PCP, so take the next step and prepare.

You'll be SO far ahead of the game by doing this...and stay on LBT - it's a great resource. I've just had my psych appts and nutritionist appts done, and waiting for the consult with my surgeon.

Good luck to all!:smile:

Since you all seem to have such wonderful answers, I have another quick question. I read through my insurance requirements for having the surgery covered (it's Health Alliance in case anyone has personal experience with them), and it says you have to be at a BMI of 40 or greater to even qualify for surgery. Then it has all these other hoops you have to jump through including losing 5% of your weight (which for me would be about 12 pounds). My BMI is just over 40 at this point and if I lose 12 pounds it drops to just over 39. Are they still going to approve me for the procedure? I have no problem doing all the things I need to do in order for the insurance to cover it, I just want to make sure I don't do everything they ask and then they say I no longer weigh enough and they aren't going to cover it.

My doctor says soda is okay if you can handle it. As far as caffeine, he has no problem with that either. He says that caffeine is a stimulant and causes hunger in some people and will make us eat even if we are not hungary.

Hey Ditkadog1,

You asked:

I read through my insurance requirements for having the surgery covered (it's Health Alliance in case anyone has personal experience with them), and it says you have to be at a BMI of 40 or greater to even qualify for surgery. Then it has all these other hoops you have to jump through including losing 5% of your weight (which for me would be about 12 pounds). My BMI is just over 40 at this point and if I lose 12 pounds it drops to just over 39. Are they still going to approve me for the procedure?

I would ask them this specific question, and then ask them to document in writing that you were at the BMI requirement BEFORE the pre-surgery diet. Ask for a copy, and keep it in your file of surgery info. Be prepared to produce it at any time...depending on your insurance company, you may have to prove you were at the required BMI before approval.

I hope you don't have to jump through that particular hoop, but having read a LOT on the forum about insurance issues, I'd suggest you ask for written proof of EVERYTHING, just for your own protection and peace-of-mind.:crying:

I also am just getting the ball rolling...and am hoping and praying that I will be approved. I have BCBS of IL and they have hoops to jump through...I however do have co-morbidities so that helps. I am going to my 2 1/2 hour seminar (required) on Oct 3rd...before I can even get a consult with the Surgeon. I have fought the weigh loss battle my whole life and lost....I would loose, then gain and then gain some more...I am so tired of always fighting to loose and keep it off. Just need some help keeping it off and not feeling starved ALL the time.

I'm just hoping that I will not have to pay for the entire surgery....but honestly I will do whatever I have to....even if it means paying $15,000 just to keep this chubb off!

I too am a diet-coke-aholic. I ABSOLUTELY love the stuff. What I don't love is the carbination. I never drink one right from the can. I've also never had any difficulty drinking DC post op (over a year ago). I often pour my drink from a 2 L bottle at room temp over ice. It melts just enough ice to add just enough Water to make it go just enough flat so that it's juuuuuust right (for me). :smile2: Plus I don't care to burp. :bored:.

Frankly, I don't think I can do without my caffeine free DC.

Well, it sounds like I can put the Diet Coke worries to rest (at least from what all of you have said). Whew!

I called today and registered for the 2 hour seminar on October 9. They had me print about 16 or 17 pages of paperwork to fill out. Got that all taken care of. I am hoping to get as much done as I can now so I can do the six months of pre-op insurance requirements and be ready to go right into the surgery. If all goes as planned in my little brain, I will be ready some time in March. I know that's a lofty goal but my sister is getting married at Disney World at the beginning of August and I want to be healed and ready to travel well before that. Plus, I want to be able to buy a new, smaller size, dress to wear to that wedding!! :smile2:

Go for it! :biggrin:

I actually paid out of pocket for the whole smack. I started down the insurance path but quickly saw what a pain in the back side it was going to be and I felt I couldn't wait any longer. You might say I was desperate.

I went in for a consult, got my info, signed some stuff, dieted for 2 weeks, (signed some more stuff) and got it done. I was out of commish for about 4 days (F-M) and was back to work (at a computer) Tuesday. Didn't get around much but it wasn't that bad. I actually was expecting it to be much worse!:dita:

You won't regret it. I'm sure people with regrets are out there...I just don't know any.

I saw my primary care physician yesterday and it went quite well (except for the part where I weight 7 pounds more than I thought I did). They told me that once they have all his diction (?) was completed in a couple of days they would send the request to my insurance company to get some checklist of hoops I have to jump through for the next 6 months. I go for the 2 hour seminar next week and turn in all my paperwork for the surgeon at that time. I am so excited!! I hope these next 6 months fly by!!! :w00t: