Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The run around.

At this time I do not have insurance and I called to speak with someone with the Realize band and they told me to shop around for insurance and ask if they cover Bariatric.

Well, the few companies that she did would tell me no. After telling them I saw online that they did they would say well how much do you weigh (which i don't really feel comfortable telling someone who just said they don't cover it). Finally, the only person that I could get an answer out of was a guy from Aetna and he said they do not cover it in an individual plan, only group.

My work offers insurance once a year and I was not around for the enrollment date.

I'm unsure of where to go or what to even do to start the process. I have no support from anyone, but I'm ready to move ahead.

I need to do this now, for myself.

Any help is appreciated.:redface:

What do you mean you "were not around for the enrollment date"? Most companies offer a time-frame for open enrollment, it is generally not a one day or one week thing.

If I were you, I would do your research about the band and make sure it is right for you since it is a long-time committment, and then when your company offers open-enrollment, join through them because it would probably be a lot cheaper than getting your own plan.. I would also inquire about your company's health insurance and make sure they cover this surgery.

A year ago I went through insurance changes, so I can empathize with what you're going through. Are you absolutely sure you can't get insurance where you work? I started my current job in January, and got insurance a month later. Depends on the company. Mine had only a 30-day waiting period for new employees. If you can't get insurance until the next time there's open enrollment, you're limited in what you can get at an affordable price. Group plans can offer more than individual plans, and they can discriminate against "preexising conditions" if you previously had coverage. Talk to your company's insurance expert. He/she might have some ideas.

Good luck to you!

Usually when you are hired you have a period to wait until the health insurance would kick in. Where I work, there is no waiting period we are covered from day one if we opt in. If we opt out we have to wait until open enrollment, which is a month before our company renews its policy. I would check with the HR dept. to see if they were mistaken about the enrollment procedures. Were you given an option of being insured or not? If they have health insurance coverage it should have been offered to you. Maybe you opted out without knowing.

The place I used to work for awhile back was like that... (open enrollment once a year) the only exception is for new hires.

I would make sure that the plans they have available will cover the surgery. HR can give you information on the plans even if you can't enroll right now. If you find one that covers it, see what is required to obtain the surgery, some require doctor recorded diets etc. If you can get the insurance to pay for it, I say start looking into what you need to do and start the process at least. Better to self pay a couple of doctor appointments (make sure they are a provider of your plan you will choose, so eventually the insurance will pay for the doctor visits and you won't need to change.) than to self pay the whole surgery. Unless you have $10-25K extra... try to go with the insurance. If none of them will cover it, then you look into self-pay options. I can tell you most individual plans will not cover it.. I checked and couldn't find even one. I ended up being a self-pay.

Good luck... I know it's difficult once you make up your mind to have the surgery and you have to wait, but it will give you time to do your research. MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH. Seminars are free, meet with people who have been banded, make sure of what you are going to commit to... Most of us have no regrets, but there are a few out there that do.. they'll surface on the board from time to time.... know the good and the bad and that you can handle it. It isn't something you have done and you don't have to do any work.. It is work... it is as effective as you want it to be.

Edited by themis
type-o