Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all, I found this site and joined now that I am serious looking into getting the band.

Little about myself: I am 6'4" 354 lbs at the age of 33. I guess you can say I hide my weight well since I am so tall and some would look at me and say I don't need it. But for the last 5 years I have tried every diet (WW, Atkins, South Beach, went to a NUT, etc.) I had the most success with the South Beach and lost about 12 lbs. in the first phase, but really stalled after that. The big issues is keeping it off for good which is the issue and my heaviest weight was 371 lbs. I need to change for not only me, but my daughter and wife who I love so much that I fear leaving them way too early in life. Size and the complications that go with it run in my fathers side of the family and I witnessed his father pass away because he refused to do anything about it. It scares me that my Dad is settling in to his fathers old ways.

I want to make the change and I think the band is the best options for me after doing tons of research and I attend a conference in a few days for the surgical group that I am interested in having this done with. Well, I am on the path to a better me. Talk to you all soon with many questions and will keep you updated on my status.:rolleyes2:

Hey, Mr. Green! Way to go breaking the "family tradition"! How smart of you to take care of yourself for your wife and daughter. A great book to read, if you like that kind of research, is "Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band" by Robert W. Sewell, Md and Linda Rohrbough. Very informative, and both male and female success stories.

Welcome to LBT!

Hi-

I want to commend you on wanting to take care of yourself now and be able to live for your family. Just remember you can do anything you put your mind to. I had my band done 9/8/08 and it is the best thing I have ever decided to do. I am hoping that my husband will see that this works and also have it done. He is the same as you 6'4" and around 330 and yes by looking at him he doesn't look as heavy as he is. I wish he would do it for a healthier life style. My big reason for having it done is my 6 year old son. I want to be able to run and play with him!! I wish you the best of luck.

Nicole

Thought I would give a quick shout out and let ya all know that I attended a seminar for where I want to have the surgery and met the Doc. Filled out a quick form that will be reviewed by the good doctor to see if I qualify to enter into there program. If so, will start my 6 month observation/classes, etc. for insurance reasons. Hope to hear something in a day or two.