Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone seeing nutritionist/dietician monthly?

The Psych that did my eval is recommending to me and my doc that I see the dietician monthly and keep a food journal for her to check. I was planning on doing a food journal anyway.

Anyone else somewhat required to see the dietician or nutritionist regularly post op?

My doctor didn't require it (I didn't have a psych eval) but I don't think it's a bad thing at all. I have access to a nutritionist through the program I went through though. Good luck with your sugery!!

Here in Bismarck, ND, it is just part of the program. The classes start one month after surgery and are then once a month. You pay $249 in total and can attend any and all classes after that for life. They say it is a must and I guess you have to pay the money, but I don't see how they can make you attend. However, I had some good advice from my chiropractor. She told me "if they tell you to do something, do it." Her mother had gastric bypass and lost over 100 lbs initially. However she didn't do any of the classes or support group things and has now gained back 50 lbs... I don't want to be in that spot, so I'm going to take all the help I can get. I figure you go and glean what you can use. Not everything they say will fit every person in every way. I already have some pretty strong notions about what I will and won't do to lose this weight. One of them has to do with artificial sweetners that are reportedly so bad for you. Why would I want to contaminate my new and improved body with that junk. So I won't be using them. A teaspoon of sugar won't kill me. But......... I'm betting that they will have lots of useful information about much more than food and I plan to take advantage. My way of doing things hasn't worked very well for the past 55 years, so I had better listen to some new ideas. I plan to be successful........ Thanks for listening.

1) Perfect motto.

2) Me too. I'm still going to abide by 99% of the rules, but I know I'm probably going to drink alcohol here and there before 1 year out.

I agree that it's very important to follow the rules, but some things you've just got to make the occasional allowance for... like eating bad- you're less likely to totally go overboard if you plan ahead for a little bad stuff here and there. I don't want to fool myself into saying I'm not going to have a single alcoholic drink for a year. Hello?! I'm 24! So I've already committed myself to only drinking on like my birthday, new years, DH's birthday, once or twice on vacation, etc.... as opposed to the current regime- every bulldogs game, 3 out of 4 saturday nights per month, social events, etc. I'm not an alcoholic, but DH and I are definately very much social drinkers lol.

"if they tell you to do something, do it."

I already have some pretty strong notions about what I will and won't do to lose this weight.

No we don't have to and I'm really glad. The nutritionist in my surgeon's program is a big disappointment. She keeps getting lap band and bypass requirements mixed up, makes sweeping statements like "NEVER HAVE CAFFEINE" then when you ask her why she get befuddled, etc.

However if you have a savvy nutritionist who can work WITH your surgeon to optimize your experience, I think that would be a wonderful benefit!

I must see the dietician everytime I go in for a fill. I have a form that I fill out that asks if I'm losing my hair, experiencing acid reflux, how much Protein I get daily, what Vitamins I am taking, and other stuff like that.

She reviews the form, then answers whatever question I have. It takes less than 5 minutes if I don't ask to many questions.

She knows what she is talking about, so I really take advantage of that.

I am not banded, but I was required to see the nutritionist every month for 6-months. I started my visits in January 2008 and I continue to go even though I am not required.

I believe I will be banded in November and I have every intention of visiting my nutritionist every month after banding. I find my nutritionist to be very knowledgable and a great motivator. :cry_smile: