Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How quickly did everyone return to normal activites?

I am to be banded a week from tomorrow - whooohooo!

My question is, besides your diet, how quickly did everyone recover enough to resume fairly normal activies?

My banding is on Thursday- so I will have Thursday-Monday(the 4th) to recover wtihout any acitivies or responsibilities. I am trying to set my appointements for the next few weeks for my work, as I travel quite a bit - and it dawned on my that I might not feel like driving 2-3- hours and doing meetings that soon - or will I?

I am usually pretty good with pain, the biggest worry is I get nausia from going under. Although I LOVE to act like a big wimp sometimes because of how amazing my husband treats me when I am "not doing so good", I am actually pretty tough. I want to get back to work ASAP, but I want to be realistic too.

Please let me know what you think! Also - thanks for this site and all of the people on it. It has made this journey soooo much easier so far, and I can't imagine how helpful it will be after next week!

I was banded on Thursday (before Memorial day) and went to work on Tuesday. I was feeling fine. Tuesday and Wednesday I put in 9 hour days (summer hours) but Thursday I wore out at 7 hours. By the next week, I just did my 4 9 hour days and 4 hour Friday.

I know alot of people fly home right away with no problems but 3 weeks out I drove 5 hours, spent the night, had 1/2 day meeting, and drove 5 hours home. My port area was sore for a couple of days after that.

I am driving 3 hours Thursday morning, have a 2 hour meeting, and will drive 3 hours back.

Anyway, I had some days that were better than others. If you have some flexibility on your schedules (in case you get tired, feel yucky, etc) that will help. Also, some chairs work better than others. My ergonomically correct chair was the worst.

I had surgery on Friday and back to work on Monday. I have a desk job tho. The actual driving might not be so bad, but getting into and out of the car is going to be tricky for a little while. You are going to realize that we take our abs for granted! :D

This is all really good to know. My surgery is tomorrow but I went ahead and took all next week off as well. Like Jack said, I'm looking forward to spending some down time while recovering.

I think it depends on how well you handle pain in the first place. I know people who seem to have no pain receptacles, LOL...break a leg and never need so much as a tylonol. I however am a bit more of a baby when it comes to things that hurt......

I am seven days out and luckily do not work outside of the house because I am just now feeling somewhat better. I was in quite a lot of pain for the past six days not constant but most of the time. I was taking pain meds up until today which also made me feel groggy and a little queasy so add that to the delay in feeling good. Now at day seven, I am not feeling like a million bucks but do feel able to get around and able to do things again. I am still having soreness and gas pains in my chest though. I swear I have worn a path in the carpet from walking around and around and around the downstairs of my houseday and night, LOL.

Don't use me as a standard of how you will do. Just keep in mind that if you normally are down longer than average with illnesses or injuries, this will be no different. It is all about how well your body heals and how well you handle pain. While most people say they were fine in a few days, I have had people write me and say they were down for a week or two as well. I wouldn't schedule any billion dollar mergers or anything for a couple weeks just to be sure.

It is really an individual thing. It may help that you are starting at a lower weight. I had surgery Thursday afternoon and was really sick from the anesthesia Thurs. and Fri. I went home on Saturday and started feeling more like myself by Monday night or Tuesday. I remember that I was back sitting by the computer by Sunday.

Best of luck to you. Make sure that they give you nausea medicine (an antiemetic), like Zofran, before you go under, and then routinely give it to you while you are there. The anesthesia stays in your body for a while. For me, the nausea was worse than the pain.

Good luck.