Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just found this site and was so excited!! My lap band surgery is scheduled for Monday the 29th of Sept. This Monday the 22nd I'm having the endoscope to look for any hernia's or other problems. I found that the best tasting Protein Drink is Adkins Advantage...didn't like Slim Fast at all.

I also quit smoking for this procedure, today is day 61..go me!!!

Gonna spend alittle time looking through this site, talk to you later!

Welcome! You did great quitting smoking. I liked the Eas Carb Control AdvantEDGE shakes...well, as much as you CAN like a Protein Shake, anyway! Good luck on your surgery!

Welcome!!! I am also being banded on the 29th. I am in the middle of my pre-op diet and today was way better than yesterday. I also like the Atkins advantage and the myoplex lite.

wow, that was still very fast, here in WV it normally is a 4-6 month wait, I hade to see a nutritionist every other week for a total of 6 visits, plus psych profile, exercise trainer, plus I had to quit smoking or they wouldn't do the surgery, I was blood tested to prove it!! So I used Chantix and quit, been alittle over 2 months now, but I would of done anything to get this done. On top of the endoscopy for monday I requested a colonoscopy...figured while I was in twilight might as well do it all..haha..so this pre op diet has been really tough for me this week due to the prep for the colonoscopy...How did you feel once it was done, were you in alot of pain? Any vomiting?

Hi All-

I am just now considering lapband surgery. I was on HMR program about a year ago - Protein drinks for four straight months (and it actually got easy after about a week - not dealing with food AT ALL was kind of a relief) so I wonder how this will be. Once I went back to "food", and stopped exercising 3 hours a day 5 days a week (weekend I only did 2 hour work-outs) I have put on almost all of the 100+ pounds I lost on HMR and really need to do something. I am going to an lapband orientation meeting again to ask more questions and will be cruising around this site to learn more. I am most afraid of the social aspect of it... have to eat out in my line of work a lot. When I did HMR I just never ate out - stopped cooking for my husband and just removed myself from the food world. The surgeons assistant (who is banded) told me that she just can't ever eat bread again - and the other woman in the office can't eat meats at all. Yipes. Feels a little "final" for me - but so is dying early due to obesity.

Also - does anyone else feel shameful that you have to go to this to deal with extra weight? Some friends just don't quite get it and think I should just "diet" that weight back off again and that I am going the "easy" route-- or the "too extreme" route. Sigh. I can see why some people don't tell that many people.

Welcome all your thoughts and support!

Winona 5'5 and 258lbs

Winona....once you have healed and have restriction, you will still be able to eat out. Just make healthy choices, and have the waiter box up half your meal before he brings it. Then just eat part of what he brings. I've been told to not drink 15 minutes before, then during, then 15 minutes after a meal. You can order Water and just not drink it! AND as to what you can or can't eat? EVERYONE is individual in this. I was told that most of my surgeons patients can, by 1 year out, eat anything. That if you try something (again, small bites, chew well) and it disagrees with you, wait a month or two and try it again.

For dining out, pick things you know you won't have an issue with.

And as to shame? This is my epiphany. I felt the band was "cheating"...that I "should" be able to just diet and exercise and lose and MAINTAIN that loss on my own. Then I realized one morning....if I needed a pacemaker for my heart, I would NOT say "No that's cheating. Most other people I know don't need a pacemaker. Why should I need one? That's shameful". NO I'd say "QUick give me that sucker! save my life"

WELL....I think of the band as a portion pacemaker for my stomach. There's no shame in that. I'm saving my life. The shame is in not acting.

Just my take on it. Maybe it will help you.

Most people have been very supportive on my decision to be banded (surgery set for Sept 29). My husband and I went through the "Easy way out" and I'll starve if you have this issues but after he went with me to see the surgeon he has come around. This is NOT easy at all, If I could be healthy and thin on my own I would be, my BP is up, my knees and ankles hurt all the time, I am out of breath just carrying clothes upstairs..I think this is exactly what I need, I have quit smoking (62 days) and I have started to walk around the park and already I feel more positive and happy. For me this was the right thing, go to that informational meeting and listen to what they say, I felt like they were talking about me the whole time. I am sooooo excited and believe this will be a life changing surgery for me.

Hi all,

This will be my first message here on the forum...I am 23 years old, 350 lbs, and OVER being overweight...I am on track to get banded hopefully within the next couple of months!! I have a few questions though...everyone is talking about the other things that they had to get done before having the surgery...endoscopy. Is this common? Is it for the GI track?

Also, Restless Monkey, I noticed in your signature that you said something about not being able to go through with the band due to a fatty liver, am I reading this right? I ask, because I too have an "enlarged liver" due to the abdominal weight I am carrying.

Anyway, I go for my "free seminar" on Oct 3rd in Des Monies, IA. My personal doctor is behind me all the way and I have already gone through the ultrasounds of my internal organs and the blood tests.

Any tips on what to do before the surgery? I see that some people might be going on liquid diets even before hand...I could understand that.

My parents (both) had the regular gastric bypass surgery, so I am hoping that this is the answer for me.

They do the endoscopy to make sure you don't have a hernia that can cause problems, My endoscopy is tomorrow..I already know I do have a hiatal hernia, so now after the surgeon looks at it he can decide if it needs to be repaired, he can do this on surgery day. The lap band is much safer than gastric bypass though the results take longer with the band. Good luck!!

Ashmarie...yes you read correctly. I didn't know I had a fatty liver so you are already ahead of the curve. Just do EXACTLY what your surgeon tells you to do and you should be fine! (and you'll have a healthier liver, too!)

Ashmarie...they don't do endoscopy on everyone. I didn't need one. Just FYI....

Welcome to the site.... and good luck on your journey to bandland:wub:

Yes sorry, it depends on where and who is doing the surgery, my surgeon requires the endoscope, and you had to quit smoking ( he blood tests you to confirm, plus psych profile and nutritionist (6 visits)...but I guess its all for good reasons!!

Endoscope showed 4 cm hiatal hernia, Dr, Kaplan will repair it on surgery day ( sept 29)..has anyone else had a hernia fixed during their lap band...does it make recovery any worse?