Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Week PostOp and off to a Great Start

... I think! If my scale is correct, I have lost 15 pounds this week. I really wasn't expecting that - but I'll take it!

I wanted to thank all of you for participating in this forum - I have read alot and learned much that has been really helpful. Like, I was still having pain, but it was intermittent and now I know it was just gas! Now I am walking more and watching the dairy I eat and that has helped alot. I gather there was alot my doctor didn't tell me about the post op symptoms, but I've learned a great deal here.

My name is RoseAnne and I live in San Diego. I am, er... was 237 pounds. Now 222. I have 72 more pounds to lose. I had my surgery on Sept 12, 2 days before my 46th birthday. (Really ruined my husbands plans for dinner at Ruth's Chris!)

The first few days I didnt drink much of anything except Water and chicken broth. But since the 3rd day I have a little program. I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, sugar free popsicles for Snacks, Isopure for lunch that's 40 grams of Protein plus a cup of broth (it just seems to feel better if it's warm) and a cup of Soup for dinner with a tlbsp of whey powder mixed in (thicker and warmer is really better!) I love pureed hot and sour soup from the chinese restaurant nearby and it's very filling, very flavorful, full of good things and low on calories. I never thought I would like pureed tofu - but there ya go!

I gather I am one of the 'lucky' ones in that I haven't really been 'hungry'. I feel hunger pains, but not the hunger urge. It's uncomfortable, but I don't feel ravenous like I did before the surgery. Weird. But I just keep telling myself I'm really not hungry.

I am so happy because I don't have to eat at night! I used to eat all night long - hence the 90 pound weight gain - but I just couldnt stop.

If I do feel hunger pains at night I have a cup of broth and a popsicle. That's it! I am amazed and praying that it lasts!

I survived dinner out with my husband and visiting cousin tonight. I had albondigas soup and gave them the meatballs. THEY had fajitas. While I couldnt resist the guacamole (just that, on a spoon - two bites) I was ok with them ooohing over their food and obviously enjoying themselves. No problems with the guacamole it's very mushy and I mushed it some more :)

The doctor said he filled 1cc during surgery; I go back in two weeks for a followup. I had quite a bit of pain after the surgery for a few days, then the gas... reading the forum helped me to know that it was all normal and not to panic. I was beginning to doubt my decision honestly... but now I am feeling very good about it again and thank you all for that. :thumbup:

Hi RoseAnne...and welcome to LBT! You're right that this forum is invaluable! The band seems to behave a *little* differently with everyone so it's great to have so much experience to read about here. Sounds like you're doing great! Don't be disappointed when your weight loss slows down because, of course, it will! LOL Wouldn't it be nice if we could all lose 15# a week alllll the way to goal!?

Well, it's 6:45 in the morning and now I've got a hankering for some hot and sour soup!!? Thanks a LOT! :-/

Hi Rosewood. I'm so glad you decided to post your experience. Just like Terry said, it's the collective stories on LBT that tell the story. All your Soup suggestions sound yummy. I'm sorry you ended up with gas pains, but I'm glad to know that they didn't take you by surprise.

I'm laughing at your husband's ruined b/d plans for Ruth's Chris, because the same thing happened to us. Our favorite steak place is similar to RC's in price, and they sent us a 1/2 price coupon for 2 dinners for my dh's b/d. My fil's b/d is coming up too, so I told them to go (sniff). My mil and I caught a chick flick, so at least I wasn't setting home alone, crying over my soup. lol (she wasn't invited to the steak place because she orders her steaks very well done, so we only take her to the cheap joints, since quality of steak doesn't matter once their cooked to the texture of a leather shoe sole)

Edited by kiz

Terri - I know the 15 pounds is just a really nice jump start and won't be the norm; but it sure is motivating! Hope you enjoy the hot and sour Soup :thumbup:

Kiz - Never could understand 'well done'. I like mine red and juicy... and I'm looking forward to the day I will have little pieces of one again... lol.

I have a feeling I am going to be an 'orphan' - no mention of support groups from the doctor. Do you guys have a support group? Do you go? Does it benefit you? Do you think the forum here serves just as well or do I need to find a support group? Thanks!

Hi Rosewood!

I too had my surgery on Sept 12th. I am down 12.5 lbs. Your experiences sound very familiar to mine. Isn't it amazing how very little our bodies need these days. I am 78.5 lbs away from goal. My doctor told me that he expected between 5-15lbs the first week. I too am enjoying Soups. this morning I ate cream of wheat very thinned out, with my DRs. permission of course. I am on thick liquids for two more weeks. I live in Vegas, so not to far from you. I will be celebrating my 38th bday on the 27th of this month. How exciting for us to have started this journey together! I will send you a pm with my email, so we can also keep in touch and support eachother that way! Good Luck! OBTech 89117

Nah, I just use LBT as my support group. I can't imagine any better.