Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pre-op info was vague

Apparently I was either not listening very well or the profs who I met with for the LB left out some pretty important details. It sounds like, from what I've read, that a lot of people will not feel the restriction until the first fill or more. Is that right? I am hungry all the time and have severe pain because the hunger gets so bad. Is this how it can be until your first fill? I was banded 9/11/08 and have already had some bites I know aren't approved. Any comments or advice? :thumbup:

Thanks! Sarah

PLEASE Stick to the post op diet. When you eat any solid (pureed, mushie, baby food, just one bite even) of food, your stomach churns like a little washing machine. That churning action can literally rip your stitches loose where your band is sewn into your stomach. Your stomach is pulled up or down, depending on your surgeons' preference, and your band is stitched into place. This helps prevent slippage and erosion. IF you eat before it's healed, you will tear it loose. I know you're hungry; most of us were. I sat and held a can of refried Beans and CRIED....and I am not a crier. BUT I didn't eat them. You need to be tough on yourself now, in order to be good to yourself.

As to the rest of your questions...many surgeons feel the first 4-6 weeks are for healing. Take time, do what you need to, progress through the stages, etc. You probably won't feel restriction until the 3rd or 4th fill; it just depends on you, your body, your band, and how much your surgeon approves for each fill. However your hunger should get much better once you can have pureed food; whenever your surgeon approves that.

Thanks for the advice. I obviously need a therapist too. I've actually heard that can be a good idea. Is there any way to tell if there has been slippage? I will be much harder on myself from now on and I pray that I haven't caused anything to move :thumbup:. Thanks again for your response.

I don't think you need a therapist...no more than the rest of us actually! LOL I mean honestly a fat 53 year old woman sitting holding a can of Old El Paso Refried Beans and sobbing is pretty, um...odd? LOL

What did you eat? You're probably fine....and I have learned that slippage hurts like the devil so you're probably good. Just hang in there. You may feel alone but you really aren't. It will get better and soon it will be behind you! :thumbup:

I know how you feel, are you on full liquids? A proteing drink like Atkins helped me a lot. Also watered down (or skim milk is what I used) cream of wheat helped also. No you won't be having pains like that until your first fill, once you get to mushies and soft foods you'll feel better.

I lost 41 pounds ....32 during my 5 1/2 weeks of preop dieting and 9 post op. It's stalled right now while I'm on mushies but I'm not worried like I would've been before I got the band. Now I know I've got what I need to take weight off forever...I get my first fill 10/9 and I am so excited you'd think i was getting a pony! LOL

I lost about 16 pounds during the post-op, but during the first couple of weeks. Like RM, I haven't lost anything since then. But again, this time is for healing and adjusting, any weight loss right now is considered a bonus.:thumbup:

SarahK,

I'm almost a year out now. I don't remember how much I lost if anything before my fills. This is not the time that most people lose. Some gain during this period. Try not to worry about weight for a few more weeks. I know that is hard, but focus on making good food choices. Take walks or do anything that keeps you busy so you are not focusing on food. Do you have some hobby or one you've been wanting to try? Maybe now would be a good time.

It really will get better once you are able to eat more foods. Hang in there!