Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded, celebrating 3-weeks post op today in Fullerton, CA!

Cheers, all! Today is my 3-week post-op anniversary, this is my first post on this site and I'm genuinely hopeful and excited to be involved in this online community. :thumbup:

After researching what I could and several consults, I chose to have my laparoscopic LapBand surgery at UCI Medical Center in Orange, CA. I was willing to pay cash price for the right surgery, but luckily, the best place for me was covered by my Blue Shield insurance. My surgeon is Dr. Ninh Nguyen and to date, I'm THRILLED with my experience at that facility and am so, so optimistic that the LapBand will be the tool to help me have a healthier life -- not to mention that I'm quite ready to spend a shameful amount of money (that I don't have) on sexy clothes in a smaller size! And, of course, to be fit enough to keep up with my 5- and 1-year old nieces. They're old enough to no longer buy my fake-sleeping-too-big-unhealthy-and-pooped-to-keep-up-with-you-two gig. And to be able to close the public bathroom stall door without contorting around the toilet bowl -- hahahaha, ok, I'll save the "inconveniences of being a big girl" topic for another thread. :)

My stats: I'm 37 years old, 5'0" (a bit under, I round up), at surgical consult: 222 lbs; after pre-op diet/immediately before surgery: 216 lbs; today, my 3-week anniversary: 199 lbs. Today's weight is a personal victory for me because I don't think I've been less than 200 lbs in YEARS, maybe fifteen, twenty years. I still have many, many more lbs to go, but trying hard not to dwell on that.

Today's a little bittersweet, however, because since the surgery, today is the HUNGRIEST I've been! I read somewhere that's normal with the healing process and still being a fill-virgin, but mentally, I'm still thinking: yikes, is that really normal? :mellow: I take my Vitamins, stay hydrated, and tonight, drank two Protein shakes to stave off the hunger, waited the 1/2-hour and drank H2O, but am still hungry ... and am being bombarded by every stinkin' TV food commercial ever made - ugh. I'd really love feedback from others about if this was a similar experience or tips to help.

Any tips on good tasting and reasonably priced Protein shakes/supplements and how to curb hunger are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Lynn

at three weeks, when do you get "mushies" or pureed foods? I thought my doc was harsh when he made me wait to the end of week 2....

at any rate, welcome. Hunger is normal; at least for me. I woke up hungry in recovery. I'm not worried about nor trying to lose right now; it's time for healing. Once I start getting my fills (oct 9 is my 1st) I'll truly start losing.

Originally, I was suppose to wait the two weeks, too, but I got the mushy food green light at my follow up visit (post op day ten). It's not all that comfy, though, very gassy, bloaty, especially later afternoon.

I'm glad I don't have those issues with eating. Of course, I can eat like I did..no restriction etc. But that's what fills are for!

I thought you were still just on liquids since you said you drank Protein shakes to feel full.

I love refried Beans and cheese (and even those don't give me gas! LOL) and pureed split pea with ham Soup (and crackers soaked in the soup) ... those kept me going. Barely sane. LOL

And seriously I during my liquids I did not watch ANY tv that I hadn't already DVR'd so I could FF thru food commercials.

My doc's attitude is the first 6 weeks are for healing, not weight loss, so I'm eating enough mushies (mashed potatoes, baked potatoe, those are good too. and I don't like cottage cheese but lots of people do) to keep hunger at bay.

I've also pureed stuff I fed my husband and had it (spaghetti and meat sauce worked wonderfully pureed. It wasn't pretty but it was good...just overcook the spaghetti)

You'll get through; you're past the worst already!

Wow please forgive my many typos and my dangling parenthese...

I have a cold and I think it MAY be time for tylenol, mucinex, and bed! :thumbup:

I REALLY appreciate your responses! It's such a relief to me to read what you've shared.

My doctor and his sidekick dietitian suggested that I supplement my mushies with Protein shakes, as in between Snacks, and to make sure I get enough Protein for the day. They said their long-term patients found the Protein shake supplement/snack beneficial even years later. Not sure I personally could drink it for that long, but I'll try to keep an open mind. I'm a huge fan of "real" food and would rather find the healthier "real" food alternative.

The discomfort and physical inconvenience of recovery was enough to keep me on track so far without any effort (pain easily trumps hunger for me every time), but now that I'm not uncomfortable anymore and I'm hungry. I really got to get into some good, healthy habits ... before I give in to the siren song of the buffet line.

Like you I think I'm going to need to find a workable Protein supplement. I'm thinking of getting some "unjury" (I heard of it on this site) ... it comes in a "no flavor" flavor. YAY. I'm not used to ALL my food being chocolate and coffee and strawberry (shudder) LOL

You'll do fine. They call the period before fills "bandster hell"...and we'll get through it! :thumbup: