Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded and SO many questions!!!

Hi, My name is Susie and I was banded on 9/9/08. Within the first week I lost 13lbs which is to be expected considering the drastic drop in daily calories..... but I'm sure everyone here knows what I am talking about. I have found lots of interesting things to read but I wondered if someone that has been living with the band for a while could answer some of my questions because I question sometimes wether or not I made the right decision. I have approximately 90 pounds left to lose.

My biggest question/fear is .... do you still live a "normal" life?? I realize there are changes that have to be made and I can accept that. But do you have to give up everything that you enjoy?? Meeting friends for drinks?? Having a hamburger at a cookout (even if it's only a portion of one)?? pizza and movies?? those kind of things. I UNDERSTAND that these can't be part of everyday life. My question is on those occasions when these things happen.... are you able to partake and enjoy in moderation???

I know my thoughts are probably crazy but I'm sure as everyone banded knows, it's a lot to take in. My first fill is on September 24 and I am SUPER nervous about that but I am so ready to drop this weight and become a new person. But on the flip side some of this can be a little depressing. I hope somebody understands what I am trying to say.

Thanks,

Susie

I haven't had the band a long time but I too asked those questions before I agreed to the band, and so can probably help you...at least until a long-timer comes by!

When you are in the "losing weight" phase, you want to watch what you eat and make healthier choices consistently. Things like alcohol and pizza don't give you enough nutritional bang for your buck. You want to optimize that Protein to calorie ratio and lose in a healthy manner....dropping fat and not muscle. So it's important at the start.

However once you get to a healthy weight, and even while you are losing if it is only occasionally, you may eat a wider variety of foods. Yes, have 1/3 of a burger and a few fries. Have some pizza. Have a cocktail or two. It is life and you will live it. You will be able to eat most things (no chewing gum, no carbonated beverages, and as my doc's office says, many people never eat stringy red meat) you ever did. Even white bread, if you still want it, can be eaten if you mix it up with other textures so that it doesn't ball up.

For now, white bread would be a poor choice anyway because you need Protein protein, not refined flour etc.

I hope this eases your fear a little. The band is a TOOL...not a punishment, not a life sentence. You will find the amount of restriction that works for you and a way of eating that suits you best. You still have choices.

I guess I don't consider my self a long timer yet but I have been banded since 4/11. If I want to do things I do them. I still lose weight but I want to live life also. You need to remember at this point indulging to often will slow your weight loss so don't get off track because of that. I do not have a fill yet since a I lost my port due to infection, however I'm not sure I would want one at the point either. It helps to have a plan before you go out so you aren't too hungry and therefore really go over board. I found that like with pizza most offer a wing appetizer so we order those and I have one or two and then I usually just eat the topping off my pizza or just a little of the crispier out side crust. As to drinks you have to decide just because you go out to a bar you can always have a Water with a twist of lime and no one really thinks anything of it anymore. Its the company not the food or drink that should be your main enjoyment. Also be really careful about cutting and chewing when in a group. It is really easy to be laughing and talking and take to big a bite or not chew well & then you have something stuck and that would really ruin your evening. I'm going to enjoy my life but in a thinner form. By the way I have lost 72 #'s since surgery, enjoyed 2 family reunions and several other social events.

Thank you so much for your replies and yes you both totally understood what I was saying. I certainly never meant that those items would be part of my daily intake (since compulsive overeating is what has gotten me to this point) but When I started to think that I could NEVER enjoy any of it again.... I was panic stricken.I mean what's a cookout without a burger (as small as it may be) from the grill !!! I know that everything takes time it's just nice to hear thoughts from others on the subject, I feel relieved though.

Another big adjustment that I think that I'll have is the whole eating without drinking anything...... any tips on that??

Thanks again!!!!!

Edited by suzking

I would never have gotten the band if it meant I would never be able to eat "normal" food at all! I plan on having a little cake on my birthday, a cookie at Christmas, etc. Just not in the quantities I used to! and I will have part of a burger, not a double with fires and a shake! I had begun to think of the band almost as a punishment for being fat, and had to be reminded that it's a tool only. We each use it the way that works best for us. For me (and you!) that means watching our p's and q's but occasionally going a little wild! :thumbup:

I fully went into this thinking I would never be able to have certain foods again. Some I haven't tried, but others I can eat just fine, I just eat A LOT LESS than before. I even eat popcorn at the movies. I just eat a cup or so, instead of almost half of a bucket! By the way, popcorn doesn't taste as good when you have to chew it a lot, so I don't really recommend it. :thumbup:

I fully went into this thinking I would never be able to have certain foods again.

Not me! Honestly after the 1st few times I came to this site it scared the pooey out of me. I thought "I can see me now, 80 years old and eating 1/3 of a boiled egg and PB'ing. YUCK!" I called my doc to make sure I could eat most everything; because I didn't want the band if my old egg scenario was what I had to look forward to. After my surgeon reassured me that odds were I would have NO "no no's" except carbonation and chewing gum (once I lost what I wanted) and once I read deeper on this board, I realized I was, umm, maybe not misinformed (because some want so much restriction that they almost DO PB with 1/3 of a boiled egg) but perhaps didn't see the whole picture. So I'm happy to save anyone from the horror and misery (not being dramatic either) I felt when I thought I'd never be "normal".

Great thread! I understand completely where the OP is coming from. I wondered the same. No more chewing gum?? I hadn't read that part yet. How about drinking straws? Can we use them?

Some surgeons say no to straws, some don't care. When you use a straw you swallow whatever Fluid, but also the air in the straw. That gives some people gas. I don't want MORE gas right now (LOL) so no straws for me.

Yea but no chewing gum? What's the reasoning behind that? I understand the straw thing, and the no carbonation thing, but the chewing gum thing is sorta weird. :thumbup:

PB is "productive burp", it normally means you bring your food back up. It is not supposed to be as nasty as throwing up, since there isn't any stomach acid mixed in, normally just extra saliva.

Regarding gum, it is probably not allowed in case it is accidentally swallowed. That is a blockage that wouldn't clear easily at all! This, of course, is my guess.

Thanks excarolinagirl!

PB means "productive burp"...its kind of like a baby spitting up...(I haven't done it yet) but it hurts, people say. It's when you eat something too fast and/or don't chew well (or it's a food you can't process....some have them) and it gets stuck and won't go through your stoma (the hole or passage between your new tiny tummy and the lower chamber) That has to go somewhere...your esophagus spasms and up it comes. No bile etc like normal vomit, just lots of mucous that people call "slime".

AND JMEGIRL...about the gum. Even people who NEVER swallow it can forget and swallow it. Think...gum and restriction can equal a very bad situation. Surgery, band removal, if gum is positioned right it could be life threatening because of blocking hydration etc. Most (not all) docs say "don't even bother, just avoid it"

Ok I'm getting some really great responses and feeling a lot better. But can anyone help me on the "no drinking while eating" thing. I think I understand why it's that way but It's really gonna be tough when I'm on regular food...

I really appreciate everyone's help!!!