Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure that I am fully informed

Hey everyone. I have just been approved for the LB!! :smile: However, I am a little nervous that I don't know all the lingo and nutrition information that comes along with the surgery. It's still all a little fuzzy to me. :thumbup: I know about the post op diet, the 2-3 weeks of post op liquids and then the few weeks of mushies. I guess I'm just really afraid that I am not going to remember everything and not get enough nutrition. I don't want to lose my hair! I have my pre op consultaion the day before surgery. Will they inform me of all of this then? What if I forget something? Well, its a good thing that I have LBT to refer too! :smile2:

All the information I can get will help and it will also ease my nerves! :smile:

Thanks!

My surgeon gave us a manual...but frankly to me it's of limited help because much of the stuff is contradictory or geared more for bypass. The important things are no carbonated beverages, no gum, (could get stuck if you accidentally swallow and you'd be in deep poo!) and most say no straws. Follow the post op recommendations and you'll heal fine; then once you can "eat", what you eat will be up to you. I plan on trying to do a high Protein low fat low carb diet because I feel best and lose best eating that way. The band will be YOUR tool, you use it however you want.

When in doubt, call your surgeon's office. They are making a good deal of money on you and you are a customer. (in fact, the trend in health care is to call people "clients" and not "patients") You keep asking until you understand exactly what they want you to do. Ask them to write down the order for you if it's too much to remember!

You have to advocate for yourself....

Good luck!

If you are going to Mexico, that may be why you are confused...can't tell but I think your surgeon operates from there? If so, then that is a drawback to foreign surgery...hard to have access, or pop in for a fill etc. I'm sure you've researched where to get fills and follow up care. Again, good luck!

Thanks restlessmonkey for your response. Dr Benavides actually practices out of DFW area. I was seen for my consultation in Richardson Texas. But I will definatley follow your advice and ask lots of questions and write down everything! I think I am just getting really nervous and overthinking things! LOL! I tend to do that.

Thanks again though. :thumbup:

DFW is still a ways away from Amarillo! So you do write stuff down. And you know what? You are getting surgery and are facing a drastic lifestyle change. A good one! but a drastic one. You CANNOT overthink it! :thumbup: So make notes, call and get answers, whatever you need to do for yourself. They won't mind and if they do, shame on them. They are there because of you and patients like you! So go get 'em!