Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first fill - 3 pokes

So yesterday I got my first fill. Really not that big of a deal...it didn't hurt all that bad I think it was more of the mental part of it. (I had no clue what to expect next time I know :biggrin:)

So I had to be poked three times the surgeon couldn't get the needle into the port because it isn't sitting flat and because of scarring. I have a bit a bruise but I don't notice much. I was liquids yesterday and puree today and regular food starting tomorrow.

The injected 3cc's and I go back in two weeks to have another 1-2cc's put in. I can't wait for this to all really start. I have only lost one more pound since my follow-up after surgery...I'm super disappointed with that fact considering I have not eaten anything bad since and I am eating a lot less.

I'm right where you are. I had my first fill today. 3 cc in a 10 cc band. I have lost 7 pounds in the last month since my post op check. They thought that was good and thought perhaps they wouldn't do a fill after all. I explained that I have fought to keep off every one of those pounds and that I had no restriction at all. So they went ahead and gave me the fill, but I don't have another one scheduled for 6 weeks.

I see that most surgeons wait about 6 weeks for the first fill, but it really varies for the 2nd fill. I would really like the option of going back in another couple of weeks. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that this one will help some over the next 6 weeks - but I'm not going to hold my breath.

How are you both doing a few days after the first fill?

How are you feeling? How is your restriction?

I had my first fill on Thurs, 9/18 as well. I am actually only about 4 weeks post-op, so I am lucky that he did it. He had no trouble getting the needle in, which was also lucky given the fact that he said scar tissue is the main reason the first fill is usually not until about 6 weeks post-op.

I must say that this is definitely a roller coaster as far as emotions go. And also definitely trial-and-error. I get hungry easily about 2 hours after 1 full cup of soft foods, but if I eat more solid foods I throw up.

I also noticed that I think I am more emotionally attached to food than I thought. I am a bit depressed about not being able to consume a whole meal and enjoy the foods that I used to, even though I know this is the best choice I could have made for myself. I guess you can never know what this is going to be like until you actually experience it. It is definitely going to take time to be able to gauge my body/hunger and also get my head straight and deal with the fact that my whole life has changed and thus my habits need to as well!

Hope you are feeling well and enjoying the weekend! =)

I had my first fill yesterday and I cant feel any difference what so ever.

I had 4ml into a 10ml band.

My Dr is fantastic, only 1 go with the needle, so no extra poking around.

i had my first fill yesterday had to wait 3 mths to get it. took 2 tries but it wasn't bad, they put 3.5 cc in but i have a 14 cc band. yesterday was just liquid today im back to eatin regular. So far so good, still seem to eat what i want but yup a whole lot less so here's hoping it will hold till i can get back for another fill. Maybe dec 1st?

got my first fill yesterday...soft food today...and the jury is out if the 2 cc's he put in is too much...he didn't think so...but man i feel everything i eat and drink. good thing my doc is at the hospital i work at...so if i'm not feeling ok tomorrow...i know where i'm heading first thing. he only stuck me once with the needle but it took him a couple of tries to hit my port...but all in all not a bad experience.

keep up the great work everyone!!

Interesting all the different experiences!

I had my first fill yesterday too, 7 weeks out. It was relatively painless and very fast. Doc said to make an appt. for another 6 weeks out, but to come back in sooner if I don't feel any different.

He was going to put in 2 cc (in a 10 cc band), but we decided to go slow with just 1 cc. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should've gone with the 2. :smile2: I don't feel like I have any restriction, really, but I know sometimes it takes a while before the fill "kicks in" - which seems odd. But, I'm down three pounds since yesterday (yeah, I know - all water!).

Now if I could just keep myself from weighing every day!:bored:

i know that feeling...i got on the scale this morning too!! i'm down 4 pounds...of water! LOL that's interesting though...cuz i can feel the restriction and in fact had my first episode of the food not wanting to go all the way down and it coming back up...if you catch my drift. it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be...but i certainly don't want to do it again anytime soon...so super tiny bites that are chewed more times that you have to. LOL

take care all!!

i was just wondering if anyone got really sore the more days that pass from getting your first fill? mine seems to get sorer by the day.

you all think it takes more time for the fill to *kick in*?

thank you all

Yes, I have noticed that I am quite sore over my port area. But I wasn't sore at all when I got the fill. I sure hope the soreness goes away soon. It feels like I pulled a muscle.

The fill was just over a week ago, but I didn't get very much restriction at all. Luckily, from reading these boards, I didn't have my hopes up that the first fill would give me much. So I am still trying to behave myself with the eating and keeping my fingers crossed for the next fill.

To be honest I don't notice a difference. Maybe a bit when I eat Breakfast...the rest of the day I don't feel anything. I'm wondering if they even got the port. I go back on Wednesday for another fill, so I guess I will find out.

Did anyone else have bruising from the fill? I still have a bruise the size of a fifty cent piece above my port...

i appreciate you all answering :biggrin:

i too have a big bruise. i wished they had put some in at surgery. i know several people that went to losing weight right away and i think that is the reason. its hard to have gone all these months feeling hungry. of course this is the reason we have the surgery. i sure hope the next fill works. i am going to fuss when i go back. anyone have to wait a month to have there second fill?

you all are a blessing!

Hi - I was banded August 15th. Had my first fill last Thursday, Sept 25. It was easy, maybe 90 seconds. I have a 10cc band. My Doc asked if I needed a fill..... I said yes, because I was very hungry at night, We decided on 1.5cc fill. My next appointment is 6 week, Nov 12th. So far, I the fill is restricting a little more than prior, but I think I need another 1cc.

i wrote to the program director asking about the fill and if they do one sooner than a month. i ask some other things but she didn't reply to, but this is what she had to say and i thought others may find it interesting.

Hi Susan. You may not have restriction after the first fill, and it may take a couple of weeks to tell and sometimes up to 4 weeks, so we do not fill sooner than 4 weeks. Everyone is different, has a different size stomach, and that is why we have to progress to what we consider your sweet spot where you are able to eat your 1/2 cup and are satisfied until your next meal. Just make sure that you use your saucer to eat and do not overeat and stretch your stomach before we get to that fill where you are feeling that restriction.

I had my second fill, the PA only put in 1cc to a total of 4cc's . I have lost 7lbs in 2 weeks...which is awesome! I talked with him and said that I really wanted to have 2cc's put in. He said that he was happy with the weightloss but said I could come back in two weeks for another fill.

Oh yeah, he got the port on the first stick this time!!! Here's to hoping I have a 7 lb weightloss again :(