Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op and back to normal? Should I be?

:blush:Hey Realize gang,

I am one week post op yesterday and I just want to be clear that the Realize band has no fill at the time of surgery -right? This will explain why I now can chug my Water. I am in the mushy stage and I can have a pudding, yogurt and mash potatoes in one sitting also I have been able to eat a handful of cheez itz all mushy first.

My question is, 1) have you gained any weight after surgery waiting for your first fill in 6 weeks? I totally feel back to normal as if I never even had the surgery. I am concerned because I might forget to watch myself. Also, 2) During the first fill are you still tender from the incision site before and after?

3) What is the reasoning behind not having the Realize band with any fill during surgery like the LapBand?

Hi Raven, I got my Realize Band one week ahead of you, and I felt great, considering, at a week out. One of the major reasons I felt so good was that I didn't suffer from gas pains. (You're correct, there's no fill yet).

I don't chug my drinks (never did), but I haven't had any problems drinking as much Water as I want. I also didn't have any issues drinking my Protein Shakes. On the other hand, I'm still feeling plenty of restriction from the band, even with no fill. I'm on mushies, and a 1/2 cup meal holds me over until it's time to eat again.

I haven't had a fill yet, but I've been told that there was nothing to it, even for the first one.

im 8 days post op and what is the diff between realize band and lap i had the lap band and feel ,hungry and just dont know what to eat to make me full

www.tickerfactory.com

I filled out the selections I wanted and once it gave me all the codes/wording to put it in my profile, I had trouble so then I copied that info and pasted it into my signature area.

I hope this makes sense and helps you. It took me a while to get it! (and I had help from my 15 year old (myspace queen) daughter!!

- Anjie

Kiz,

Glad to hear from you. Its only 11am and I already drank my 32oz. I mean I pounded it! too easy going down. I made a call into the PA to see if I need to slow down or is this okay? seems like everyone is having problems getting fluids in but I haven't had a fill yet so hope this is normal. As for mushies I can make anything into a mushy I just haven't had any meat or fried or bread stuff. I did have a small side of Green Beans and macaroni cheese from KFC and it was wonderful!!!

Great question and the forum has tons of information on it. Search for it and you will find the answer. Also go to the Realize site and you will find info there too.

Raven,

I was banded 9-9. I had the lapband. I am not allowed to get any fills until 6 weeks out. that is because you need to be well healed and everything in place and the swelling down, so you do not get hurt or anything.

I have had restriction since day one. Please be very careful with what you eat because you are still healing. That is the main reason why we are on liquids than mushies and than soft foods, so the band and stomach heal.

im 8 days post op and what is the diff between realize band and lap i had the lap band and feel ,hungry and just dont know what to eat to make me full

krista, as far as the hunger thing goes, from what I can tell, it depends on the individual. I've read about plenty of Realize Band users who are hungry too. I don't know if it's the degree of swelling, the person's anatomy, or what that makes so much difference.

Raven, by 11:30, I also have usually drunk 32oz of Water. I drink 16oz 1/2 hour before Breakfast. I wait any hour, and drink another 16oz before lunch. I do the same by dinner, and will drink at least another 16oz before I go to bed. I never drank this much Water before, and I do think it's helping me feel sated.

Hi!

I'm now five weeks post-op, and I am amazed to hear how you are doing! I followed my instructions and was VERY careful not to eat anything before I was allowed to. I'm now on soft foods, and eat virtually everything but not yet raw veggies or hard fruits like apples, etc. I haven't tried beef yet, but will be in the next week.

I was told not to "push the envelope" with the eating only because the experience of the bariatric center is that people have hurt themselves. I tend to heal well from surgery, so while I did some minor pushing of envelope, I didn't go all out. I wasn't even on pureed food until week three. I had to go from two days of Clear Liquids to two weeks on "full" liquids. Then I went onto pureed food for two weeks, and just got to the soft food stage. Pureed eggs are actually not bad, gang.

I also am able to eat nearly as much quantity wise as I did before I was banded, and then I feel full. I do notice I don't get hungry as quickly, but thought I was weird for eating so much so soon. The people at the bariatric center said I would feel full with less intake right away, but I don't. I'm so relieved! I am now nearly certain it just means I'll be ready for a fill when I go in on 10/2 to see my doctor about it.

The only other thing I would say to you who are just out of surgery is not to overdo it with walking or exercise or lifting yet. You don't want to risk hurting yourself, even if you can't feel it.

Amy

(no signature yet - have to learn how to do that!)

Just wanted to add yes watch the lifting and follow guidelines provided by your doc about that...but walking? WALK! the more you walk, the faster you heal, you dissipate gas more efficiently, the "plumbing" works better, and you feel normal way more quickly. They have you up and walking in the hospital for a good reason, not to torture you. So walk walk walk...as far as you can, as often as you can. It is all good for you...well, protect from sunburn etc LOL but it is healthy and a wonderful thing to do postop.

Re: Walking:

I'm sorry, I meant Power walking. I am allowed and encouraged to walk a lot, but more like a stroll than an aerobic exercise. I didn't mean to suggest don't walk. You are correct - walking is very good for you. I was just told not to walk aerobically yet or use my treadmill yet. I think my bariatric center tends to be overly cautious, but then they do more bypasses and DS surgeries than bandings.