Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long was your leave from work for surgery?

I am torn. The doctors office says they will give me 4 weeks. I know recovery isn't that long but I want to get use to the eating so I am not throwing up at my desk. Just curious as to how long folks took from work? I get 13 weeks of short term disability at my work. So torn :crying:

I am torn. The doctors office says they will give me 4 weeks. I know recovery isn't that long but I want to get use to the eating so I am not throwing up at my desk. Just curious as to how long folks took from work? I get 13 weeks of short term disability at my work. So torn :crying:

I was 52 when banded - I was back to work day 6 - Desk Job

You most likely aren't going to be throwing up at your desk... You aren't suppose to throw up - You should be practicing small bites, chewing and eating slowly now - Heck with most docs you are on liquids for the first week if not longer (every doc is diff) then mushies and soft - you don't want any pbing during the healing stage - could affect your band - truly any pding can cause problems..

Surgery Friday took off until the following Thursday, worked 1/2 days Thursday and Friday and back to full time the following Monday.

I was banded August 28th (Thursday) and returned to work on Tuesday September 2nd. I should have maybe taken another day because I was tired from the medication by like 2pm but I finished out my day. I have a very high paced desk job but I was able to maintain the pressure even when I started to doze.

If you have the short term disability, you should at least take advantage of it for 7-10 days so you can see your surgeon for the post op appointment without rushing like I did.

Good luck to you! :crying:

I had oodles of vacation time, plus short term disability, and when the surgeon said take 4 weeks, I took 4 weeks. Probably only needed 2, but I was pretty much off pain med by Sunday (surgery was previous Tues) and wanted to drive so I could go to my favorite park to walk. It is nice to take the time to get used to eating differently and you would likely just be ending the mushy stage, so if you have the time, take it. The last 2 weeks I ran errands, did stuff I would normally have to take off work to do anyway. My neighbor put the trash out for me (I have cats so I had to dump the litter once a week and put in new, so she did that for me so I wouldn't have to lift anything heavy). I went to the park to walk every day, and had my post op visit before I had to return to work.

I was out three weeks and needed that much time. I have a hard time with anesthesia so it usually takes me awhile to get my energy back after having any type of surgery.

Everyone is different. There is absolutely no way I could have gone back to work in less than a week. I was still sleeping probably 18 hours a day at that time.

surgery on a friday afternoon, back to work on following tuesday. floor job in factory. i was tired by the end of the day but nothing major. everyone is different but i can't imagine needing 4 weeks off for this. as far as pbing at work...you won't be eating mushies for 10 to 14 days so it won't be an issue. up to you but being home that long with not a lot to do but rest will drive you nuts. at least at work you stay busy and don't really think about not eating.

I am so glad I found this forum. You folks are great and thank you for the quick responses. I have a wife that is a great support system and this forum gives me even more of a support because its the same folks that had it done. I cant wait for my surgery.

sleep study 10/3 and 10/10 2 weeks after that I should hear my answer from insurance.

I had the surgery on Tuesday, Sept 2nd, and I went back to work on Wednesday, Sept 10th with no problems. I could have gone back 2 days earlier, but I wanted to be sure I could be out for several hours at a time without getting tired or feeling sick.

I am almost through the mushy stage, and I haven't gotten sick once. I am following the post-op diet carefully and thoroughly chewing my mushies!

Thanks, everybody, for the info - I am starting to plan my time off and all the replies have helped me immensely. :thumbdown:

Depending on what day I have the surgery, I'll take the rest of that week and then a full week after.

I.E. Surgery on a Wednesday, take Thursday and Friday and the following week.

Surgery on a Monday, take the remainder of the week, maybe 1/2 the following week.

Thanks again for all the great info - I have a desk job, no heavy lifting. The most strenuous thing I do at work is walk to and from the train station when I'm getting there. Since the walking is good for me, I think I'll be good to go!:thumbup:

I would take atleast 1 week and a 1/2.

I felt like my recovery was longer because I had a hernia repair, but 1 and a half weeks was fine for me.

I have a very active job and I took 1.5 weeks. However, I then went to a one week conference where I sat at a table. So, it was almost 3 weeks before I returned to work. I really struggled that first week back and probably should have taken 4 weeks. I am 32, relatively healthy and expected to have a quick recovery, so I was sort of surprised it took me so long to recover. I should also mention I had a hernia repair at the same time...