Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to look for in a good scale (both kitchen and bath)

I got a Bed Bath & Beyond coupon in the mail yesterday so I figured I'd go ahead and get myself a couple of the things I need.

What should I look for in a good kitchen scale? I've never used one before.

What should I look for in a good body weight scale? I don't want to spend more than $30-35, but BB&B has several for that much or less.

Thanks for your help!

Its all very individual of course, but for me the two biggest points when shopping were:

Kitchen scale - have a readout that is not under the scale, or is at least readable from the side or set away from the scale. Lots of them you have like a 6" scale and then a flat readable surface right there - well if you need to use a larger plate or something then you can not see the weight! On that note, mine has a feature where I put whatever I am going to weigh on (like a plate or a bowl) on the scale before I turn it on, and then the scale zeros at the weight including that item. Makes it easier not to have to subtract the weight of my container.

Body scale - go for one that measures in .2lbs. Some weeks will be really slow weeks, and the encouragement of seeing that -.2 that might not show on another scale may be a bit of encouragement you can really use!

I bought one of those fancy kitchen scales that calculates the nutritional value of the food being weighed. I don't like it! I question the accurracy. If I were to get another kitchen scale I would just buy a good digital kitchen scale that weighs grams and ounces and has the "tare" function to zero out the scale.

As for a body weight scale, I would definetely go digital as well. I don't own a scale myself, I usually weigh myself at work or at my boyfriends house. I know if I had a scale at home I'd be on it constantly.

I bought a kitchen scale and never really used it much. It is easier for me to just measure in 1/4-1/2 cups or to judge meat to be about the size of a playing card. It ended up being just one of those gazillion kitchen gadgets in the closet gathering dust, lol.

I have bought 2 digital scales, one of which was pricy and weighed to fractional pounds. They both don't work well in that I can step on and off the scale several times repeatedly and get different measurements. There is no way you can gain or lose a pound or two in the time it takes you to step off and back on the scale.

I use a scale with the little wheel that spins around because I always weigh in the same on it. I noticed it is 2 pounds less than the professional bar scale at the gym that I use for my "official" measurements. This scale has been reliable since banding for me . . . and it was only $7 at Target.

So out of $125 bucks spent amongst 3 scales, I go by the $7 old-fashioned one while the others are in my bathroom closet gathering dust and will inevitably become garage sale fodder eventually.

Polder and Escali make good digital kitchen scales that do the basics...ounces/pounds and/or grams. I bought mine from Amazon but I'm sure they are available elsewhere.

I can also highly recommend any "Tanita" branded digital scale. They make good quality digital scales. In fact, that brand is one most frequently used at WW centers, and my surgeon's office also uses "Tanita". The price range varies depending on your required "upper capacity" and what other bells and whistles (Water percentage, body fat ?? etc) you might want besides just weight. DON'T buy the WW branded scales at Bed Bath and Beyond...I'm a frequent poster at WW and the WW branded scales are inaccurate and useless. A very few lucky people like theirs but most just trash them. If you can't find or don't want "Tanita", Health-o-Meter also makes a line of good reliable scales.

For kitchen scales I use the My Weigh iBalance 5000 (i5000) which I got at Digital scales, Weight Scales, And Electronic Scales. Real People, Real Service. It weighs up to 11 lbs, does have the tare function and I use it for everything from breadmaking to postage.

Can't speak to bathroom scales, as I have a love-hate relationship with mine - like Heather, I can weigh myself and 15 mins. later get on again and be two lbs. heavier. It gets the one-finger salute on a regular basis. :crying:

As for body weight scales: I have a lithium digital scale and I'm ready to throw it out. It ALWAYS weighs me 5 lbs. less than the doctor scale. I get so mad seeing 232 at home, only to go to the doctor and have their scale (which is supposed to be accurate) say 237!! Very discouraging. Anyway, I think I am going to go out and get one of those $7.00 scales at Target. That seems to be good advice.

Um, feeling guilty here, but I haven't gotten a kitchen scale yet. :thumbup: