Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strict/Easy Pre-Op Instructions/Diet

I need some feedback from anyone who has done their pre-op diet, followed instructions and completed their surgery. We received instructions from one potential surgeon and while the instructions were sound and solid, they were not scary and regimented. The other surgeon basically sent over a book of "NO's" and a very strict regiment for the two weeks prior to surgery. As a matter of fact, they are so different, you would think they were performing different surgeries. :)

Can anyone tell me what they did or didn't do the two weeks prior to surgery and if it did/did not possibly make the surgery smoother or recovery quicker?

Thanks a bunch!

all surgeons are different in what they require preop.. some are much more strict then others. I personally think my doctor has a nice in even line... My pre op consist of giving up any drinks with carbonation and to drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch and have a no carb meal for dinner. this is to help shrink the liver. the smaller the liver the lower the risk for complications during surgery. my sisters surgeon had her on an all liquid diet for the two weeks prior and that was all she could have.. so basically that is .. I go to my pre op tomorrow so I will update you on anything i might have missed. i only know the stuff i know because my husband had his pre op last week, but i was not at the whole thing so i cant be sure he told me EVERYTHING ha ha good luck

You need to do whatever the surgeon you pick tells you. I assumed my preop diet was just a "suggestion" or a "guideline" and modified it to suit me. I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks and was ecstatic! HOWEVER I didn't realize my liver was fatty and my surgeon's diet was formulated to help shrink it so that surgery could be performed. Imagine my horror when I came to in recovery and was told I didn't get the band because my liver was "too thick". You may bet I did exactly what my surgeon told me for the next 2 1/2 weeks and WAS banded on 8/29, with a total of 32 pounds down.

So whichever surgeon you pick, do precisely what s/he says. They know their styles and their patients best; they know what you need to do. You (or your insurance) are paying a large sum for that knowledge and expertise; use it!

I had my surgery on 08/27/08. The pre op diet that my surgeon had me follow was pretty strict. All low-no fat and sugar free liquids. I ate alot of cream of chicken Soup and Tomato Soup. I also never want to eat sugar free Jello again. But it was pretty easy compared to the post op diet I had to go through. With the pre op diet, you know that you are working towards a goal. You want to have the surgery, so you are doing everything you can to achieve this. The post op diet is harder, because you can have more foods, but you should not start introducing hard solid foods for a month. Just do what your doctor says and everything will be great.:)

I have found every facility I've dealt with to have a different policy on the pre-op diet. All have had the same post-op. One place was going to have me do 1 wk. Atkins style diet to shrink my liver; another told me I'd do a full two week liquids w/2 slim fast or other Protein drinks; the next says depending on your BMI, you'd do 1 or 2 wks liquids.

I too would do exactly as told by the individual center.

Good Luck

Honestly - my surgeon/nutritionist gave me a two week diet of low fat, Protein Shake, etc. stuff BUT I was told that it honestly didn't matter. As long as I wasn't eating french fries every day, I would be OK. The point is (especially for very heavy people) to reduce the amount of fat in your liver (at least that's what they told me) which reduces the risk of problems for your surgery. I didnt do the diet and I'm one year post-op. I had no medical problems after the surgery from not dieting.

Raitsky, apparently, you lucky person, your preop diet wasn't as necessary as mine was for my success. I did reduce fat etc....but didn't do what the surgeon said. I didn't (and don't) have liver disease, but it's possible I weighed more, or was heavier for longer, or was just unlucky that way, but my liver WAS too big and it did shrink after I did what my surgeon said. So I guess the point is to do what your surgeon tells you. Since yours said it didn't matter, apparently for you it didn't! WTG! For me, it did. I had blood tests, abdominal ultrasound etc and things looked fine but weren't once my (over 1000 surgeries) got "in there"...so do what your doc says and you'll be fine!

JUSTDOO.. my nutritionist said if we were going to use slim fast then to make sure it is the low carb one.. That is the one I use. I have also tried the adkins advantage and the muscle milk light and they call compare in nutritional facts.. So it basically boils down to taste and cost.. since I have two people doing this prep at the same time. Me and my hubby. I go with the slimfast low card because i can get a case of 15 at sams club for like 18 dollars. by far the cheapest i have found so far and like i said the nutritional values stack up to the others as long as you get the low carb. just good info to have out there... But like everyone is suggesting it is always best to just follow what your doctor tells you.. they say it for a reason. It is not just to torture us ha ha. I have found it helps in multiple ways. 1. to help have a less fatty liver to prep and have and easier surgery and 2 to prepare help prepare us for post op. I could not imagine going from eating normally to having surgery and being on straight liquids. I am glad my doctor has the phase into liquids and then after surgery the all liquid will not be as bad.. It wont be easy, but it will be easier.. and when we reach our ultimate goals no matter how difficult. it will be worth it :)

As others have said, every surgeon is different. They may even tailor their regimen per person.

In my case, it was Clear Liquids the day of surgery and nothing the day of. Two days before surgery I went out for an epic "last supper".

Pick a Dr. you trust, then trust him.

I also am with the same Dr as one of the other posters. I am on my 2nd day of my pre-op plan. I get 2 shakes (bkfast and lunch) and then a Protein meal for dinner. If needed then I can have a 3rd shake as necessary if I am starving.

So far so good.