Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Retaking my psych eval... :/

My psych eval goes like this.... it's a HUGE multi-part psychological evaluation test thingey. Like 400 True/False questions about myself, then several other 2 page Q/A tests.... along with an IQ test.

I went to the psych today (took the test last night) and he said I would have to retake it. He said that basically it looked like I answered questions to make everything look better than it truly is. I really answered all of them honestly! I'm a very happy optimistic person, I don't have a lot of confidence/self esteem issues, I didn't have a bad childhood, I'm not psychotic, etc.... I'm pretty much "normal".

So now I have to redo everything (except the IQ test.... which I scored in the 85th percentile on {50% being average/normal} yay me). And I'm super nervous because I feel like this one will be micro analyzed or something. I'm supposed to be more HONEST this time.... but I really wasn't lieing to begin with. There's a lot of GRAY area. Like maybe sometimes I feel like doing something, but I resist.

And HELLO I'm a gemini... sometimes I might feel one way, others a completely different way. There's like 5 of me lol.

Sorry to hear that Katie.. Might not really make you feel better but I had to take the freaking thing again too. Mine was like yours HELLLA long... :)

Turns out partway through I got 1 line off so each time I put an answer it belonged to the question before it haha. Could u imagine the look on the dudes face scoring it? I wonder how I answered the ones that said "I love to hurt small animals" and "I like when my spanked me as a child"

Yeah I had some messed up questions.

I'm trying not to laugh, but that last reply was pretty interesting :)

but hey, seriously- my psych eval said that I was a narcissistic liar with a superiority complex and sociopath tendencies who suffers from chronic mania. Yeah- it really said all that. When my psych-dude (psychologist? Psychiatrist? Counselor?) read it out to me, I just sat there and nodded- yep, sounds about right.

Fortunately for me, my psych-dude decided that with all those qualities, I was a perfect lap band candidate! YAY!

By the way, my psych-eval also said that I tended to exaggerate the positive in an attempt to make things seem better than they are- hence the ‘chronic mania’ LOL. Like you, I also tend to be extremely optimistic- I’m a narcissistic liar with a superiority complex and sociopath tendencies who suffers from chronic mania and likes to look on the bright side J

I'm trying not to laugh, but that last reply was pretty interesting :)

but hey, seriously- my psych eval said that I was a narcissistic liar with a superiority complex and sociopath tendencies who suffers from chronic mania. Yeah- it really said all that. When my psych-dude (psychologist? Psychiatrist? Counselor?) read it out to me, I just sat there and nodded- yep, sounds about right.

Fortunately for me, my psych-dude decided that with all those qualities, I was a perfect lap band candidate! YAY!

By the way, my psych-eval also said that I tended to exaggerate the positive in an attempt to make things seem better than they are- hence the ‘chronic mania’ LOL. Like you, I also tend to be extremely optimistic- I’m a narcissistic liar with a superiority complex and sociopath tendencies who suffers from chronic mania and likes to look on the bright side J

It's alright to laugh at my situation.. :tongue2: When it happened I was freaking out.. Once it was over and they said ok to lapband I then decided it was hillarious haha :thumbup:

Sorry to hear that Katie.. Might not really make you feel better but I had to take the freaking thing again too. Mine was like yours HELLLA long... :)

Turns out partway through I got 1 line off so each time I put an answer it belonged to the question before it haha. Could u imagine the look on the dudes face scoring it? I wonder how I answered the ones that said "I love to hurt small animals" and "I like when my spanked me as a child"

Yeah I had some messed up questions.

I was cautioned about that when I took mine.The Psychologist told me it would make me look like " one messed up person"He suggested that I take a plain piece of paper and frame the line of questions that I was working on and not move it until I was ready to move to the next column of questions.

That really sucks that you have to retake it.

I also wonder if the answers will be more skewed if you have to consciously think about not making it seem like you are answering incorrectly. I am sure that will have some impact on your responses.

Also, with that many questions I am sure you are thinking a little differently in the first half as opposed to the second half.

Good luck!!!

You're right by the end of it you're thinking oh jeez did I answer that one right!? They desensitize you so bad to horrid questions that by the end you're kind of complacent in your answers. The 2nd time around I was so intent on every question.

Has anyone been denied the band for not passing? I have heard of people having to retake it a few times but nothing more.

WELLLLLL, let me just say the psych eval is a BIG pain in .. (whatever part you want to put in the blank) My psych eval took almost 4 hours! By the time it came the "testing" part I was ready to scream! SOOOOO I began answering the questions and by the time I was 1/2 way into the test I thought how many times can you ask the SAME question? I just filled in the dots. Without reading the questions. Then when the results came back I also got the LOOKS. I can't say I failed but I had to go to several appts before they would give me the OK. As the Doc told me they are there to help you not judge you.

I am sorry you requested to do part of the test again. Just do it and answer to the best of your ability. I also agree that one day you feel one way and the next diffent.

Good luck.

Don't worry too much about it. The psychologist that did my psych eval said that I had a border-line obsessive compulsive narcissistic personality disorder :tongue2:, which basically means he thought I lied and answered the questions the way I thought he would want me to. I will admit that I am OCD, but narcissistic...yeah, whatever...just finish my dang test, take my $800 and leave me alone! :)

WELLLLLL, let me just say the psych eval is a BIG pain in .. (whatever part you want to put in the blank) My psych eval took almost 4 hours! By the time it came the "testing" part I was ready to scream! SOOOOO I began answering the questions and by the time I was 1/2 way into the test I thought how many times can you ask the SAME question? I just filled in the dots. Without reading the questions. Then when the results came back I also got the LOOKS. I can't say I failed but I had to go to several appts before they would give me the OK. As the Doc told me they are there to help you not judge you.

I am sorry you requested to do part of the test again. Just do it and answer to the best of your ability. I also agree that one day you feel one way and the next diffent.

Good luck.

What part of WV are you in? I had my psych eval done in Parkersburg and it took every bit of 4 hours, too. That's 4 wasted hours of my life that I'll never get back! :)

Wow - how could they think anyone would appear "sane" after that many questions or that long of consult? I had to fill out a 3 page questionnaire at orientation and then I met for 45 minutes with the psychologist. I was really nervous. She asked me a bunch of questions and typed on the computer while we were talking. After she asked me the questions, she went into the computer back 10 years and looked at my medical record - I guess to see if I was lying. For example I answered no that I did not have any eating disorders - I just overeat. Well, some wiseacre doctor put notes in the computer about 5 years ago stating I have an eating disorder. Luckily the psychologist pulled out her medical book and looked up what the definition of an eating disorder was and we confirmed I just overeat - no eating disorder. I was sweating there for a few minutes. She was ok with me being on Prozac for anxiety and worry. But it doesn't seem right if you don't have any issues that you should have to pretend you do so they don't think you're lying.

Wow, do I feel fortunate. My questionnaire took about ten mins to answer. My psych eval took about 20 mins. I'm a very optimistic person too, but the psychologist thought that was a positive trait - How novel is that? I only paid $100 for the whole thing.

Sorry, you have to go through that again, and now you'll be second guessing your answers. I don't know how I could do the questionnaire again, if I'd been accused of trying to make things look better then they really are. "Don't try to take off my rose colored glasses, I like them just fine." :)

kdlee

I am from Morgantown and had my psych eval at WVU. You are right it was 4 hours that we will never get back. I do understand why they do them but....give me a break! :)

I did ask the doc if he would just tell me the "right" answers so we could move on.

This is all new to me, I've never heard of them making people take the psych evals over, how dumb! The thing is too these are not cheap, I know mine was not covered and had to pay out of pocket and to make you take it over again because they said you didn't answer correctly. They don't even know you, I'm assuming this was a hand picked person and not someone you've seen prior. Anyway the whole thing sounds "crazy" to me, Nancy.:)

He said I won't have to pay twice, and my insurance covers 80%.

This is all new to me, I've never heard of them making people take the psych evals over, how dumb! The thing is too these are not cheap, I know mine was not covered and had to pay out of pocket and to make you take it over again because they said you didn't answer correctly. They don't even know you, I'm assuming this was a hand picked person and not someone you've seen prior. Anyway the whole thing sounds "crazy" to me, Nancy.:)