Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHY are people voting for McCain?

My brother is Catholic. In fact, he was going to be a priest. So he knows what the Bible says. I have not seen him burn one and I know he keeps one on his coffee table.

I don't follow you.

Not being rude, Just not seeing why he would burn his bible. I've never burned a bible either. I own one.

Doesn't mean I believe everything in it, but I think that might be another discussion.

I am very familar with the verses. The bible has many such things in it that make no sense.

I don't think anyone has done as much research in this subject as someone who grew up southern baptist, in louisiana, from a very conservative family, and who also happens to be gay. I have read the bible many times over and found a lot of things not to do, that are common today.

I won't take anyone down that road, it was mine. But I did struggle, a lot. I shouldn't have. It was society I was struggling against.

I am who I am. I am God's child. I am comfortable with that. now. But hearing things like the comments she made while I was growing up is what made life so hard coming into terms with myself. I don't wish that on anyone, and I will stop it from happening to all the younger people that are like me.

You sound like you have a very good head on your shoulders. Try to focus on that. We all get offended, sometimes every day. Try not to let it get at you.

I am the person in the family that had to stand up to my parents when my brother came out. They were ashamed and crying. Long long story, but now my parents are supportive of him.

That is a really hard situation to be in JWRN. I am sure he is so thankful for you being there for him when he needed you.

I know how difficult that situation can be, for you, your brother, and your parents.

I'm glad you all made it through.

Some people never really recover.

Have you ever read "Prayers for Bobby" ? It's heart breaking...but for me, it was life changing.

I am not "right", "left" or anything else. I abhor politics and all the fighting that has erupted as a result.

Now, had she personally attacked someone or violated an LBT rule, yes, I would have done my "little moderator thing". However, she stated her feelings about people who disagree with her lifestyle and the types of hatred and discrimination she has to tolerate as a result. I applaud people when they stand up for their rights and was pleased to see her enter this particular thread and do so. I applaud and respect people who respect others rights to be who they are and what they are and don't pass judgement upon them. I respect people who understand we are all different and that is what makes this world such a wonderful, interesting place to live. I respect ReadySteadyGo for standing up for who she is and her right to respect, dignity and freedom to live her life in the way that best suits her and makes her happy.

I just see some of the moderating as being subjective.

Do you respect people who can take a stance against something when everybody these days wants to toss out buzz words like "bigot" and "racist" and "hater"? Do you respect people who can take the unpopular side of sticking to one's beliefs no matter how much others rail against them? Do you respect people with a belief system that differs from your own?

I don't follow you.

Not being rude, Just not seeing why he would burn his bible. I've never burned a bible either. I own one.

Doesn't mean I believe everything in it, but I think that might be another discussion.

He did not burn his bible because it says that he is an abomination.

Reading these and other threads, I can only say one thing:

Only one more day to the election:

And I am so glad we can get past all this stuff soon!

I am not "right", "left" or anything else. I abhor politics and all the fighting that has erupted as a result.

Now, had she personally attacked someone or violated an LBT rule, yes, I would have done my "little moderator thing". However, she stated her feelings about people who disagree with her lifestyle and the types of hatred and discrimination she has to tolerate as a result. I applaud people when they stand up for their rights and was pleased to see her enter this particular thread and do so. I applaud and respect people who respect others rights to be who they are and what they are and don't pass judgement upon them. I respect people who understand we are all different and that is what makes this world such a wonderful, interesting place to live. I respect ReadySteadyGo for standing up for who she is and her right to respect, dignity and freedom to live her life in the way that best suits her and makes her happy.

This is me hugging you (((susan)))

Beth. I feel very strongly about this issue, obviously. Having so much personal experience of the pain that even seemingly non malicous comments that can be made. I think I just wanted people to know that they do hurt people. What she said offended me, but I'm used to it...I did get through my coming out.

It is the people who live their whole lives miserable because they can't stand who they are because of the things they have been taught, and the boy who kills himself because he can't deal with the fact that he is gay when his church teaches him he is evil and will burn in hell, I get upset because of the drug and alcohol use in the gay community- especially in the south- because they are taught to hate themselves. That God hates them.

I know that I came across harsh, but you can't be nice about things like that. Or at least I can't about this particular issue. It's too dear to me.

I hate to change the topic, but did you hear that Nostradamus predicted McCain to win?

I hate to change the topic, but did you hear that Nostradamus predicted McCain to win?

LOL, he did? Interesting...

I wish Nostradamus would have predicted a good president for us. :thumbup:

I just see some of the moderating as being subjective.

Do you respect people who can take a stance against something when everybody these days wants to toss out buzz words like "bigot" and "racist" and "hater"? Do you respect people who can take the unpopular side of sticking to one's beliefs no matter how much others rail against them? Do you respect people with a belief system that differs from your own?

I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion. For example, myself, personally, I could never have an abortion. I believe the moment my child was conceived, it was just that, a child. However, I respect that other people do not hold that same belief and do not put them down for their beliefs nor try to force them to believe the same as I. Hence, why I am pro-choice.

What I disrespect are people who can't respect that others have as much right to what the believe in as they do. I will defend your right to argue and support your belief till the end of time. But, when you can't do that without calling others names, spewing hate upon them, stripping them of their dignity, ensuing violence, etc., then you lose the right to that respect.

Pattygreen used scripture to support why she was voting a certain way. Abortion and Same sex marriage are issues in this election. She did not "spew hate upon them, stripping them of their dignity, ensue violence". Perhaps we should eliminate threads that ask for any kind of opinion that may cause disagreements. Someone on either side is surely to get offended.

JWRN, my post was not in response to what Pattygreen said, which is why I qouted Beth, to show that I was responding to the question that she asked me. Basically, she wanted to know if I respect people who take the unpopular side of an issue or have a different belief than I do. Or, at least that is what I interpreted her question to be. And, I responded to that. I didn't accuse anyone here of spewing hate or ensuing violence.

Back to the topic at hand (why people vote the way they do), I think this explains why a lot of people are voting for Obama. I just received it in an email:

It's All About the Ice Cream

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade in 2000.

The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote.

To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have. We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot. The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's mother.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches Jamie went first. He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. He ended by promising to do his very best. Every one applauded. He sat down and ...

Olivia came to the podium. Her speech was concise. She said, 'If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream.' She sat down. The class went wild. 'Yes!Yes! We want ice cream. ' She surely would say more. She did not have to.

A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it? She didn't know. The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream. Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a land slide.

Every time Barack Obama opens his mouth he offers ice cream, and 60% percent of America reacts like nine year olds. They want ice cream.

The other 40% percent know they're going to have to feed the cow.