Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else feel like this?

Did/Does it ever seem surreal to you? Getting/being banded? I'm pre-op. It's all I think about. It's like I'm planning my wedding or preparing for another child. I've mapped out exactly how I want the first couple of days to go, I've made arrangements with family members to come help my hubby out (he's a college student, he'll need help caring for our daughter, cooking, cleaning, and taking care of me), I've got all of my appointments scheduled and I have a good general idea of when surgery/pre op appt will be. I know about how long ins will take to give prior approval. I've done so much research I could practically perform the surgery on myself. I'm ready.

But then sometimes when I'm sitting in traffic my mind goes "Holy S$(T am I really doing this?!"

Anyone else get like this?

YES! You seem to be a little farther along than I am in the process. I have my first appt. with the surgeon tomorrow, but Yes, I have it all planned out! Mom will take me to the hosp and take care of me for a couple days. I will start throwing out my size 20 jeans in the first 3 to 4 weeks and slowly get back into the 18s and 16s that I refused to throw out cause I was determined to get back into them someday.

Then there are the moments when I'm totally freaked out and scared to death that I'm making this life-long commitment. I've been married 2x with no success and seem to have a fear of long-term commitment....

But I think deep down we know that we can't live without this and we KNOW we will be SO much happier say, 1 year from now....

Keep me posted -

Linda

:rolleyes:Good job, Kaytiebug! It is important to be prepared. Just like a wedding or a new birth, you can never truly anticipate what "the after" will be like. I think you are right on by trying to get your ducks in a row. Even though it WILL be different than you expect, you'll still be ready. I did not feel well for a couple of weeks. Just take baby steps.

Yes I feel the same way. I actually feel obssessed with this surgery. I still don't have approval from my insurance, I am waiting for the psych eval next week. But I feel like this is all I think about. I am constantly on this forum just reading and reading and reading about it. Then I go back to my doctors website and read it again just in case I missed something. I can't wait!!!

I felt the exact same way, once I decided to do it, it was all I could think about. Planning and researching are good, you will be prepared for it. The one thing I didn't plan down to the second is the stairs in my house, I planned to come home and go right to my bed but I was feeling dizzy and weak and wasn't up to the stairs. Thankfully my mother lives nearby in a one story house so I went there for the afternoon instead. After I slept off the anesthesia a a little more I went home and climbed the 564 stairs to my room (well it seemed like that many).

Thanks for this little tip!! I'll go ahead and have hubby put my DD's mattress in the office downstairs the night before surgery so it'll be ready for me. Our downstairs sofa isn't really a comfy sleeping sofa, the seat part is a little too narrow for a plus size gal to get cozy on.

I felt the exact same way, once I decided to do it, it was all I could think about. Planning and researching are good, you will be prepared for it. The one thing I didn't plan down to the second is the stairs in my house, I planned to come home and go right to my bed but I was feeling dizzy and weak and wasn't up to the stairs. Thankfully my mother lives nearby in a one story house so I went there for the afternoon instead. After I slept off the anesthesia a a little more I went home and climbed the 564 stairs to my room (well it seemed like that many).

Kaytie -

I'm SO GLAD you posted this! I haven't even been to the seminar yet!! - Oct. 1 is the next one I can attend. I have checked with my insurance and the surgery is covered. The only "requirement" they seem to have" (other than age, BMI, etc which I meet with no problem) is a mental health eval. Of course my doctor may require more. Financially I can't have surgery until next year... but I am so anxious to get things rolling. I too feel I am obsessed with this surgery!! I've read various web sites, checked out books from the library, and am reading as much as I can on here to make sure I am well informed.

I feel I'm in limbo. My health insurance requires that I not have a sustained weight loss in the last 2 years, so I've gone "off" my diet and am trying to just maintain my current weight until I can meet with the doctor. Presently I'm down about 20 pounds from my highest on my doc's scale... so feel I don't dare lose more weight which is a really odd concept for me to grasp. For someone who has been on a diet constantly for the last 1-1/2 years the thought of not dieting is just plain odd.

Good luck to all upcoming bandsters!

bambam

I got my date yesterday and now I'm torn between really excited and really nervous. Like OMG it's finally happening. I've been hoping for this for almost 2 years and in less than 6 weeks, it'll be done! My journey will have begun!

Katie,

I am so there with you.....obsession is the right word for it. I have a date for my surgery, and my preop appt. , but don't have my insurance approval yet. It should be coming any day now. I just keep thinking that it is not real. I am ready though, I have a busy week planned for my surgery, so I am not going to have time to dwell on what I have choosen to do to myself after the fact. I hope by keeping busy I won't get hungry either. I think that would be like my biggest downfall if I was at home trying to recover and I was hungry. I would be so tempted to eat.

I also read on this site every day for at least an hour. And when I can't sleep at night(because I am so excited about it) I read around on here till I get tierd. Good luck with you and your surgery.

I really agree with you all! My surgery is just in a few days...Sept. 23

I am super excited but also really nervous. I can't stop thinking about it, almost like an obsession. Then I wonder if I am doing everything correctly! I wonder about the Protein Shakes and how much I should really be drinking. My doc. recommends 2-3 Protein shakes but I have a hard time getting down one!! So I totally know what you mean, I feel the same way. We should all try to stay in touch for encouragement!!!

Anjie