Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Symptoms of Slippage???

The last fill I had was over two months ago and it was no diffrent than any other time...after two weeks I was able to eat small amounts without any discomfort. I felt great and was still loosing weight.

These past three weeks I 've been struggling to keep ANYTHING down. I am in such pain after I eat anything and immediately throw up. Is this common and will soon pass or is there a problem? I've heard that some people just go through periods of this...

Sounds like a call to your surgeon is in order. Even if it turns out to be nothing better safe than sorry!!!!

From MY experience I would say you might be over filled. I also had that happen to me. I was only filled to a 2.75 in a 10 cc band so I thought I couldn't be over filled. But I let it go for too long. sometimes I couldn't keep down my own saliva. I started to throw up brownish slim. It happened once in july and again in aug. Then last week I did it for 4 days straight. It hurt real bad right at my breast bone and I couldn't hold down anything...I mean anything. When I went to the Dr. (9/11) after a fluoroscopy my Dr. says I have band slippaged. I go in this Friday to see what my options are. NOW...I'm not saying at all that this will happen to you. I have had slippage and those were my symptoms. But just don't let it go. You don't want to keep throwing up because it can harm your pouch. I can't say for sure what caused my slippage...I am 19months out and have had no problems with my band up until now. I love my band...I will want a rebanding if this one has to come out. I hope my experience doesn't scare you....Thats not my intent at all. I just know that throwing up isn't good and if you are get it checked out.

The last fill I had was over two months ago and it was no diffrent than any other time...after two weeks I was able to eat small amounts without any discomfort. I felt great and was still loosing weight.

These past three weeks I 've been struggling to keep ANYTHING down. I am in such pain after I eat anything and immediately throw up. Is this common and will soon pass or is there a problem? I've heard that some people just go through periods of this...

I just had the same thing happen last week. My fill had been in place for more than four months. I felt great and was losing weight well, at my sweet spot and everything was perfect.

A little over a week ago I started pb'ing. I then got reflux at night. It kept getting worse and worse every day, until last Thursday I couldn't get down more than a tablespoon of Water every couple of hours if I was lucky. I even pb'd on 1/4 cup of weak tea. I couldn't sleep the two nights prior because I was coughing almost all night long and choking on my spit.

I started reading all threads on slippage and had myself pretty scared. My husband drove me 4 hours away for an emergency unfill on Thursday. The nurse removed 2 cc's and it was instantaneous, blessed, wonderful complete relief. Not only could I drink Water, but I could drink a lot of water quickly. I didnt even have to drink the water to feel the difference, my chest could feel it as she withdrew the Fluid.

The nurse said that if she had removed a small amount of the fill and everything was perfect again, it is not a slip, I just have swelling and irritation and I need to keep the fill level down for a period to get healthy again. She said that people who have come in with slips are usually in a lot of pain and are toting spit cups because they can not even get their saliva down. She did say that if I didn't come in I could be risking a slip because I couldnt keep anything down . . . and I was also very dehydrated.

I would suggest you go get a slight unfill. 3 weeks is risky and I can't imagine that you are feeling your best after not being able to eat much for an extended period. Plus a month or so of a decreased fill short beats a slip if you can avoid it.

HeatherO, That is pretty much what happened to me. I felt immed. relief when I was getting "unfilled". I hope that I didn't have slippage and a scope will show that I was just swollen from throwing up. I have been empty for 4 days and feel fine. I have to wait until Friday to find anything out and the wait is just killing me.

Just wanted to add...I went to the Dr. last friday and I did slip. He could tell by a fluoroscopy. I will have band removal and replacement in Oct. I am bummed but I am glad I am getting a replacement. I don't know how to be without my band. My band is empty now and I am hungry..so I can't imagine not having it..but I am eating right and trying to stay with soft foods. So kate get in and get things checked out. Let us know how youre doing.