Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Green Day Rule

Hi everyone

I took my 14 year old son to see Green Day yesterday and they were awesome, apparently it is the biggest venue they have played at in the UK (65000 people). I'm not sure who enjoyed it the most me or my boy. Anyway it was the hottest day in England for years and boy what a difference my 47 lb weight loss made, as we had to do a lot of walking in the heat.

I really do love my band, its the best thing I've ever done

Gaynor

Cool, Gaynor! Okay, translate for us American-type folks who still measure in pounds and not whatever metric is appropriate. What's 471B?

My daughter (12) loves Green Day. They are coming to the Boston area, but we will be away on vacation.

Green Day stayed in the hotel I was in St Louis a few weeks ago.. I got meet the lead singer and the blonde guitar player. We stayed on the same floor. Nice guys...

Green Day rocks!

Kathy, remind me again who's on narcotics? 47lb translates to fourty-seven pounds, "lb" being the standard abrieviation for imperial "pounds." I haven't been able to trace the etimology of the "lb" abriviation however. (I have to confess, I haven't put much effort into it either....)

Crystal! I told you it takes major narcotics for you to think like me!! LOL!

In my defense, he did type 471B (that's 47, the number 1, the capital letter :). Admit it, it's a little confusing when usually pound is abbreviated to lb. However, I should have caught it...yep, 47 pounds makes sense to the normal person...pass the Percocet!

What's the etimology of the word "etimology?" Is there some book or dictionary or, better yet, a web address where you can find word etimologies? OMG college was a long time ago, and I was an English Minor (shame and embarrassment) :D

okay, had to finally actually find out.

Main Entry: lb

Function: abbreviation

Etymology: Latin libra

pound

www.m-w.com is my favorite online dictionary. dictionary.com has too many pop-ups to make me happy. When I actaully need to find the etimology of a word, that's where I generally go.

Main Entry: et·y·mol·o·gy audio.gif

Pronunciation: <TT>-jE</TT>

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -gies

Etymology: Middle English ethimologie, from Latin etymologia, from Greek, from etymon + -logia -logy

1 : the history of a linguistic form (as a word) shown by tracing its development since its earliest recorded occurrence in the language where it is found, by tracing its transmission from one language to another, by analyzing it into its component parts, by identifying its cognates in other languages, or by tracing it and its cognates to a common ancestral form in an ancestral language http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=etymology

See? Yer so cool. And we have been misspelling etymology. sigh.

Sorry Gaynor, I'm glad you had fun at the Green Day Concert. Good Father/Son time. I won't talk about etymologies anymore, promise!! And congrats on your 47lb wieght loss! :)

Sorry Guys I did mean 47 pounds, you know what its like, its 5.30 pm and time to leave work and you're rushing.

By the way where does the father son thing come into the equasion, do you have guys in America called Gaynor?? It made me laugh anyway. Leatha I'm so jealous you got to meet the lead singer of Green Day, he is absolutely gorgeous.

Speak to you all soon

Gaynor

Gaynor...what an awesome concert...too cool!!! How great of you to take your son. You sound like a hip and happening dad.

I have not heard of a guy in the US with your name before. I have heard of Gaylord but not Gaynor...it is quite unique. :)

I think I met a male Gaynor in my younger days... although I probably made that up.

You know, for the life of me, I can't figure out why Kathy and I both thought you were a guy. Probably because your screen name is "G Curtis" and Curtis is not an uncomon guy name. Sorry about that. :)

Okay, call me an idiot, it won't be the first time!!!

So, last night, Gaynor, I read your post about "where does the Father/Son some into the equation?" I'm so confused. I went back and read where you said you took your son to the concert. Okay, I'm not crazy. Then you said how absolutely gorgeous the lead singer is, so now I'm thinking you are a modern-day kind of gay dad with a son from a previous marriage or relationship before you came out of the closet...I just didn't know what to say and I figured I had said enough already, right?

So this morning, Vinesqueen makes it all come clear to me (that happens alot with her) and I figure you'll get a big kick out of me thinking you are a gay dad. Can I just shut up now, or what?! hehe, sorry!

I guess with g curtis as a screen name, it feels like a guy thing to do that, and then I guess Gaynor to me is male? Or, like Vinesqueen said, curtis is a male name here. I don't KNOW! I just thought you were a guy! Now I get it and I really do think Gaynor is a beautiful name. Maybe change "Registered User" to something like "UK girl" or something clever and that will cut down on the confusion of us Americans?

Anyway, hope you get a big kick out of that! :)

Oh my gawd Kathy, I was laughing so hard I was snorting!

I would have posted sooner my appology, Gaynor, but I was a little embarrased that I'd assumed you were a guy.

Ladies, you're making me feel ancient. Come on now, Yanks, I can't be the only American who grew up using "lb." for "pound." This is not some obscure Brit usage, it's a normal abbreviation! "Libra" is right on the money, no pun intended; that's why the symbol for the British currency (pound sterling) is a variation on the letter L: £. Confused? Just think of the zodiac sign Libra, the scales.< /p>