Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Very Sad

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and I have enjoyed reading what others had to say. I do need some answers concerning the band. I had mine done May 22 and have lost thirty pounds. My concern is: I think this is too slow and I've had three fills. I am scheduled to have a fourth fill on the 25th of this month. If I have this fill done and it is too tight, what side effects will happen? I must admit that some days I don't feel hungry, I don't eat or I will eat something like mashed potatoes and green Beans. Here goes the excuses! I work and stand on my feet my whole shift and walking is done alot on my job. I have RA (rheumatoid arthritis ) very badly and when I get home I go right to bed because of tireness and hurting. When I get up and hour and a half later, I cook for the family and so exercising is out for me. A few times I did force myself to ride the bike I have, pain and all! Could this be why I'm not losing more weight? Anyone have any quick recipes I can put together so I can eat and still lose weight. I do try and get my Protein Drinks in each day. I know potatoes and green beans is too much and I need something else to eat, but it just seem like a quick fix for me being so tired. Please help! Barbara 48

It's been 16 weeks since your op and 30lb in 16 weeks is at the top end of the optimal weight loss rate of 1-2lb per week. I don't think you should be sad at all - I think you should be celebrating! That's a great achievement, especially in the first months, when you are still working on getting restriction. If you aren't struggling hard with hunger and are resorting to soft slider foods on occasions (like mashed potatoes), I think the last thing you need is another fill. Try eating more solid fibrous foods (lean meat, fresh vegetables). These will fill you up and let you eat reasonable quantities and lose weight at the same time. It takes a LOT more mashed potatoes than steak and salad to get the same feeling of satiety and will cost you in calories and slower weight loss.

Thanks Fanny, I feel better now. I will eat more fibous foods and try to stay on track. What about the execising ? You have put a smile on my face. Thanks again.

Just think - in another 16 weeks, that 30lb could easily be 60lb and won't that be great? I was just about where you are at 16 weeks (actually a little less, I think - 27lb?) but over time it all adds up! This is a marathon, not a sprint, and if you stick to the plan, you'll get there eventually. Exercise does help it to come off quicker. I'm a bit erratic about exercise myself - sometimes really good and then sometimes really slack. This is probably why I'm sitting in the middle of the loss range for my month group, rather than leading the pack as are the ones who put the extra effort in. I'm cool with that though - I planned on at least 18 months to get to goal and I'm pretty well on track for that...

Celebrate your success and good luck in your journey!