Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 16th surgeries

Hi everyone! I had my surgery on the 16th as well. Just got home a little while ago, had to spend one nt in the hospital because they had to fix a hiatal hernia as well as placing the band. When I woke up from surgery, it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest! A couple shots of morphine took care of that. But now that I'm home, my neck and shoulders are killing me, I guess from the gas pains. I've been up walking and that helps a little, but sitting and lying down hurt way too much. I've been using a hot pad on my shoulders and that helps too. If anyone has any other suggestions, that would be great. Also, my stomach is growling and going crazy, but I'm not really hungry, isnt that weird?! Good luck to us all and a speedy recovery...

I got home yesterday around 3:30 pm, arrived around 7:00am. Surgery went well, my O2 SAT's kept staying fairly low so they had me on O2 for a bit after. With some deep breathing though they went right up. I had a hard time staying awake after they brought me back in to the recovery room. I slept pretty much the whole way home. Not alot of pain, most of course around the port site. My most trouble is scooting up on the couch and standing up from it. I had some yogert this morning, did ok with that. Tried my Protein Shake a bit ago, had a few ounces but got full very quickly and honestly really didn't want anything to do with it. I am going to try a bit more after I get off here. Hope the eating gets a bit easier, I am afraid I am going to have a hard time getting in all of my Protein and fluids for the day otherwise. Glad to hear that everyone is doing ok.

Edited by ANKPTA

My surgery went well. I got home around 3. I am on clears today nd will try some cottage cheese in the morning. I am felling pretty good, just trying to get rid of the gas. I have been walking a lot and that helps. I was up 5 pounds last night from all the IV Fluid. I see my doctor on Monday.

I woke up this morning wondering if I made the right decision. I think it was just post-surgery blues. I'm okay now. I'm on an antidepressent for a month.

I'm on antidepressants also. Have been for about a year. Having a horrible time getting it in. It leaves a NASTY NASTY taste in my mouth. ah well. I'm glad things went well. I woke today with the what the hell did I do feelings.

I'm still very satisfied on my "liquids" diet. I had Tomato Soup last night for dinner, and farina this morning. Didn't like it, but it was satisfying.

Teri

Hello, feeling much better today. I think alot of my trouble eating yesterday was a mix of the edema and gas. The gas finally started moving last night, and is still rumbling today. But much more comfortable today. I was actually able to get down some pudding this morning. I had trouble getting the high Protein stuff down yesterday. Gonna try some more today. Got up this morning at 4am starving and had a couple oz of sugar free Jello. So I knew then that I was feeling better. This afternoon is 48 hours and I will be allowed to take off my bandages and shower! Ahh, that will be wonderful! Hope everyone has a good day!

Amber

My gas is moving too and I feel much better today than yesterday. I finally had a BM too, I know, TMI, but that means my body is getting back to normal. Can anyone feel their port? It feels like it's protruding a little. My DH just thinks it's that way since everything inside is swollen. We'll see.

Teri - I had a little panic moment on the way to surgery. But looked at my life right now and I'm not happy with myself and how I look or feel so this is a good thing. Plus both of my sister-in-laws have had this done and they can eat the same things I eat but they just stop much sooner so it is not like I will miss out on all the flavors I used to love. My band will just make me more conscious of the food choices I make. I hope that helps.

Denise

I can feel mine, but have to press on it.

Seriously, and I'd never admit to my dr's this. I haven't taken my antidepressant since surgery and I feel great. Not a tad bit depressed. I did have about 5 minutes this morning, trying to sit up in bed, thinking what the hell did I do? But it passed rather fast. Especially when I took my blood sugar (fasting), and it was lower than it was on medications (not on meds). My normal fasting sugar on byetta twice a day, was 119 to 130. Today it was 99. How sweet is that?

Teri

Hey guys, I was just wondering how much you guys are taking in each day so far Protein, liquids and such. I know I am not getting all that they wanted me to, but I am having a hard time getting much down at all. I am getting really full quickly and full even with Water. I suppose it is still the edema, I just don't want to harm myself from not having enough. Any thoughts, or ideas...

I know, its hard to get the Protein in, and the fluids, esp when you dont feel well at all. I am just trying to make myself remember to drink. If you can do a Protein Shake, try putting 2 scoops of protein in it, then it should give you about 40 or more grams including the milk, so I think thats pretty good, considering were only 3 days out from surgery. I had to take it really slow but I managed to get it all down! I also had a small bowl of thin malt o meal and about half a can of chicken and stars, so far today. What is everyone else eating/drinking? Maybe we can inspire each other! lol

Lets see.. Breakfast about a quarter cup farina watered down. lunch was my carnation instant Breakfast with extra powdered milk to bring the proein up. dinner 1/2 cup pea Soup (strained). I'm drinking propel waters for hydration. I've had 2 16 ounce bottles, one sip at a time.

teri

Hi Everyone.

Well I am rebanded on Sept 16. Doc said there was no fat around the organs or the liver. Thank god, with the weight I have put on I was afraid. There was a lot

of scar tissue so he was there an extra hour in surgery. I think he did an excellent job, I am not nearly as bruised as last time.

He put in the new 14cc band which normally goes on men but he wants to make sure I don't slip again so he went with the bigger one. He was going to put in 4cc's at the time of surgery but decided to keep it empty because of the swelling from the scar tissue.

I am going to take this nice and slow.

I am so tummy sick this morning. I haven't had a bm yet, and I think that's part of it. My whole stomach (abdomin) area hurts. UGH! Day three nightmares are here.

Teri

Hi everyone! I have been reading what everyone is eating and it is definetely different then what my dr. wants me to eat! I am on Clear Liquids until Tueday, 9/23 and then I can move to full liquids. Then every Tuesday I change my diet to pureed food, soft foods and then the advanced bariactric diet. So far this week, I have been drinking Isopure which is flavored Water with 40g of Protein in each bottle (can buy at Vitamin World or GNC). I freeze the drink in an ice cube tray and then I put 4 cubes in a cup and then add Water. I have also been drinking, chicken broth and eating sugar free Jell-O and popsicles. Is anyone else on this type of diet after their surgery?

:thumbup:

I finally had a BM this morning, I was starting to worry a bit. I am feeling pretty good today. Almost back to normal, except for the occasional discomfort from the port site. I am pretty sure that most of the gas has passed. I think alot of the edema is going down, I was able to meet my Fluid requirements yesterday. Didn't meet the Protein yesterday, but aiming for it today.

Brenna's Mama - I am allowed to have "full liquids" pretty much anything that you can sip through a straw (with no straw of course) I can have strained cream Soups, pudding, thinned mashed potatoes, protein shakes...I then move on to mushies after two weeks and then onto soft foods. Hope this helps.

Edited by ANKPTA

Janine - I am glad your rebanding went well.

Terri - I have to tell my PCP I decided to stop taking my Metformin (diabetes) and I haven't yet. When I started the preop I was feeling shakey and sweaty. After I stopped taking my meds I was fine. Hopefully he doesn't yell at me.

Brenna's Mama - day 1-3 I was on clear liquids; starting today, day 4-7 I will be on soft solids (1/4-1/2 c portions); day 7-14 just introducing more Proteins. My doc says the goal is to eat Proteins first and eat at least 60 g per day. No drinking 20 min before meal and 1 hr after. Also Protein keeps your hair from falling out.

Ok so this morning I make myself a scrambled egg with a little cheese in it. lunch I just finished 1/2c chicken salad. I don't feel like I'm starving but I don't feel any restriction either. There probably would be if I pushed it I guess but tell me what it feels like because maybe I am feeling it but just don't know it.

Denise